Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

porting intake side on all motor B16a bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default porting intake side on all motor B16a bad?

Headwork is as follows

REV flat valves lapped in
REV valve springs
REV titanium retainers & keepers

He ported the crap out of the intake side from what I can tell, and I'm wondering if that's hurting power?

What do you guys think?

Bottom end is stock other than CTR pistons.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flow numbers?

pics?

port volume?

General description?

No one here is a phucking psychic.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 PM

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
No one here is a phucking psychic.</TD></TR></TABLE>
speak for yourself doood
Old 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (rebo0t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rebo0t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
speak for yourself doood </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can tell you your future. I predict sometime tomorrow after you wake up and before you go to bed you will take a **** or take a dump. Let me know tuesday if I was right.

To the OP, if the intake port was ported and hogged out to hell like you say, chances are the head is not going to perform as well as a stock head.
Was the head ported for an all motor build or FI? Do you have any info on who did the headwork, for what type of build, etc.?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"is it hurting power?"

Judging by the dyno numbers you gave us... !!!!!
Old 06-15-2008, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: porting intake side on all motor B16a bad? (brokenojoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brokenojoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Headwork is as follows

REV flat valves lapped in
REV valve springs
REV titanium retainers & keepers

He ported the crap out of the intake side from what I can tell, and I'm wondering if that's hurting power?

What do you guys think?

Bottom end is stock other than CTR pistons.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What cams?
Old 06-15-2008, 09:53 PM

Default Re: (all-mtr-teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I can tell you your future. I predict sometime tomorrow after you wake up and before you go to bed you will take a **** or take a dump. Let me know tuesday if I was right.</TD></TR></TABLE>
holy shat... i JUST took a **** right now... your prediction is a bit late but
Old 06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, we'll see what tomorrow holds in store
Old 06-16-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Re: (all-mtr-teg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by all-mtr-teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, we'll see what tomorrow holds in store </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-16-2008, 03:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">flow numbers?

pics?

port volume?

General description?

No one here is a phucking psychic.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just wondering as a general rule...... The question was answered.

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brokenojoke)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brokenojoke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Just wondering as a general rule...... The question was answered.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

No questions were answered. There is no general rule for headwork. Nice try, though.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:22 PM

Actually there is a general rule for head flow. You only need enough to support the BHP you plan to make. A head for a B16, unless you are reving to 13,000 rpm, does not need to flow as much a head for a 2.2 litre. Just basic formula's in the Superflow flow bench manual.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

superflow manual FTW!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I meant was, not all headwork is created equal. Without giving us any info, any "answer" that was given, was speculative feces.

GIGO, works every time.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Cut a guy a break

Look guys, I know really specific questions are prefered, we all learn more. I wish I had time/money to take my head off and flo-test it, cc my chamers, and all those other cool things I can't do myself or afford to have someone else do for me.

You can tell by my really vague question my knowledge of motors is EXTREMELY LOW. I'm not going to deny that at all...... But I know there are tons of guys that have build b16's. Many with stock heads and ported/polished ect ect......

There should be a general rule after people have been building these damn things in quanity for the last ten years.

If the question is sooooo dumb, then just blow by it and pay attention to all the motor builders, mechanical engineers asking questions.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I meant was, not all headwork is created equal. Without giving us any info, any "answer" that was given, was speculative feces.

GIGO, works every time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, if you do headwork for a living, tell morons like myself to send you a head to pimp out. Nothing better than taking someones money who doesn't know what to expect...... that way...... whatever you put out is good.

So if you were going to do a head for a stock bore/stroke B16a, with 11.5comp using CTR pistons..... what would you do ? Do you need to flo the head to get a baseline, or do most stock B16 heads flow within a few % of eachother. If budget had to be reasonable 1,500 to 2,000........

what would you do? Would intake porting even come into mind? Or just a polishing and port matching to the intake mani/gasket?
Old 06-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I try not to advertise.

first, I would ask how you expect to achieve 11.5:1 W/ CTR's, than I would try to find out exactly what the motor would be used for, street, strictly race, etc. etc. , then I would work accordingly.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

"ported the crap out of it"

Nice, lol.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And while you're at it, you can also...

Lobe the crap out of the camshafts
dome the crap out of the pistons
knife edge the crap out of the crankshaft
balance the crap out of the rotating assembly
polish the crap out of the bearings
hone the crap out of the bores
TQ the crap out of the head studs
dyno the crap out of the motor
beat the crap out of yourself
Old 06-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And while you're at it, you can also...

Lobe the crap out of the camshafts
dome the crap out of the pistons
knife edge the crap out of the crankshaft
balance the crap out of the rotating assembly
polish the crap out of the bearings
hone the crap out of the bores
TQ the crap out of the head studs
dyno the crap out of the motor
beat the crap out of yourself </TD></TR></TABLE>

just thought id post this to show that you were once a know nothing noob as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Now i know skunk2 stage 2 cams make great power but ive heard they love a ton of compression. Im probably around 11.1:1. So i thought about the stage 1's. But for the minimal gains, i might as well go with CTR/ITR. IM CONFUSED!! My goals are 200whp and to be able to run high 13's at the strip. Do you guys think thats attainable with OEM cams?</TD></TR></TABLE>

flow numbers?

pics?

port volume?

General description?

No one here is a phucking psychic

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the advice. what do you think id be looking at hp wise with the setup i listed? the only thing thats kept me from upping the compression is that im in cali and i heard its a no-no to run like, 12:1 on 91 octane.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you used to be so nice and polite when you didnt know ****. oh and this one about your car is my favorite. remember when you posted pics after your crash.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JSTOCK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">At least you can save your Pep Boy's special "R" emblem. Those are at least good for +20hp. JK!!
</TD></TR></TABLE>
wow you were a ricer too???? here i thought you were a honda god by the way you post smart *** comments in everyones thread. the point im trying to make is that as much as you NOW know about hondas, at one time you were a stupid noob posting stupid questions just like these guys you clown on. go back to being the old you with the new guy knowledge and you will be a class act worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence as guys like larry, earl (rip), tony1 and others who without a doubt knew their ****. i didnt post this to make enemies with you. its more like an invite back from ******* land. your bad attitude kills your credibility.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (ivan93egreppin210)

While it is cool to remind everyone that CC was once a noob a while back, you should now know that he actually knows some really good stuff and knows good people now (hint, hint) and does a good job of keeping this mess hall clean of gangsta-MTV technology.

Bad attitude does not necessarily kill credibility. Research some crazy foo named Rocket.

CC Fo da win.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Master of the Universe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Master of the Universe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While it is cool to remind everyone that CC was once a noob a while back, you should now know that he actually knows some really good stuff and knows good people now (hint, hint) and does a good job of keeping this mess hall clean of gangsta-MTV technology.

Bad attitude does not necessarily kill credibility. Research some crazy foo named Rocket.

CC Fo da win. </TD></TR></TABLE> no doubt. i read alot of his good stuff and the guy seems like a genius. i would get my head ported from him in a heartbeat. it seems like he only chooses to post bad comments lately and is of very little help when he does. if he just gave sound advice, this site would be 10x smarter due to his teaching.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasnt a pep boys R emblem, it was a "Cool Ride" R emblem, actually. That was back when this was a different screen name, and actually shared by my buddy Chris & I, who got me into the Honda scene. When I took over the name and he got into VW's, i changed the name. Most of those posts are him.

You also fail to mention that when some of those were posted 4 or 5 years ago, there wasnt NEARLY as much searchable info as there is now.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, the search button solves 99.9% of my problems and questions. I think the problem that most of the seasoned builders and tuners are having is that a new thread is made every hour about a topic that have been covered 1 billion times. Hence the creation of CC's "all motor build" thread which showcased some of the riduclus questions that are being asked.

I respect guys like MOTU, DonF, CC, B19coupe, Fkned, etc, for posting their great and FREE advice which was learned through priceless EXPERIENCE. It's funny how people bitch and complain when MOTU, or other make posts or threads that don't just spoon feed us answer, but instead challenge most people's intellect and stimulates some of us true tuners to go and research and learn more about his thread topics. I guess some people are just way to lazy to go out and learn something on their own.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whatever. the point is you were a noob just like some of these guys so instead of making them feel like **** when they post something you feel is stupid, why not be helpful and teach them something. you are way to smart to be such an ***. its not fair to those of us who are willing to learn from true builders and tuners such as yourself.

Quick Reply: porting intake side on all motor B16a bad?