All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

N/A LS/VTEC RLZ Valve Springs with RLZ III Cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so you're saying that I was pushing limits?

Does this correspond with other 9,200rpm, stageIII combination setups? Do they all only last for roughly 4,000 miles when rarely revved to 9,000?

Modified by caster troy si at 8:34 AM 2/19/2008
Old 02-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2fastGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2fastGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you are saying that you know Brad doesnt owe you anything then why are you on here putting him on blast? It broke. Is finding the reason it broke going to make you sleep better at night? Ok well lets just say it was a faulty spring. You bought it second hand so there for no one owes you an explanation or even a second thought if they dont deem you fit.

I'm not trying to be a dick , but im sure it will come off that way. I just happen to know Brad and how he stands by his work so when i see someone trying to make it out like he did something wrong to you when he clearly did not.

thats the way the cookie crumbles . Good luck with the rebuild</TD></TR></TABLE>

To clear things up, for all of the haters, go back through this thread and read each of my contributions. Maybe then, you will realize that I'm not the one placing blame or claiming that anyone owes me anything. It was a big loss of time, energy, and money to me, yes, but now I want to know what truly happened. Brad's name has been brought up not to place blame or anything like that, but because he is more enabled than anyone else to contribute to the answer of my technical question. He is with the company that sells the springs, he frequents this site, and he even has the two pieces of a broken spring from this situation.

I've got one of the broken springs and the rest of the springs for inspection if anyone here is so inclined...
Old 02-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You still have the new replacement valvespring Brad sent you right?
I would go buy yourself a valvespring tester and check all the old ones. Check the spring pressures at instaled height and at .100 increments until coil bind.
Check all of the old ones and then check the new one.
Like someone stated earlier, everything has a fatigue limit. After numerous heat cycles and 9200 rpms, springs will begin to weaken. It just the way it is.
You could also send the remaining valvesprings to a metallurgist like also suggested. Either way, it sucks your engine blew because of a valvespring.
I had something similar happen when a REV valve broke and ruined a low mileage ITR engine. Time to go K!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PyroProblem)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caster troy si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're saying that I was pushing limits?

Does this correspond with other 9,200rpm, stageIII combination setups? Do they all only last for roughly 4,000 miles when rarely revved to 9,000?

Modified by caster troy si at 8:34 AM 2/19/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Still haven't figured it out yet?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Casey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats my old head. and my friends before me. when i want my current head worked, it will go to RLZ again. cant blame them for failure of parts, **** happens, trust me i know better than anyone. there are no guarantees with race oriented parts.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your two boys sound like they pushed the limits on that head way before you touched it.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wasn't pushing any limits if I believed they were low mileage. Maybe your two boys did push the limits, but they haven't been clear about the true history. Its cool, they're across the internet so why not keep the peace? Its all word of mouth anyway.

Once we know what the true cause of failure is then I'll have my answer for certain.

I'm on the horn now with a spring tester owner

What's a rev valve?
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HMM need the installed spring height. I don't have the right tool to take this measurement.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (caster troy si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caster troy si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're saying that I was pushing limits?

Modified by caster troy si at 8:34 AM 2/19/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude you bought used race/performance parts. how did you think they were driven? you think they set their redline to 3500rpm so they can sell it to you in near mint condition? LOL
Old 02-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ipodhustle)

you should have sent the head to rlz and had him overhaul it before you ran it. 9,200 rpms is pretty high for a d/d. on new parts thats ok but used parts....asking for somthing. no matter what went wrong it could have been prevented if the head was fully inspected before use...

Old 02-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow is there a broken record playing?

My original plan was to buy brand new parts for my GSR head to go along with the brand new parts that the rest of the engine got.

A local, trusted friend had a Type R head with Type R valves, built, ported and worked by RLZ with stage III hardware, was selling it in order to pay off the rest of his Integra Type R. It was priced less and promised better performance than building my GSR head with no port. AND he led me to believe that it was a used head that had just been milled and cleaned up(obviously) and that it was rebuilt 3000 miles ago, which included the replacement of the valve springs.

This is what I believed, therefore I didn't realize I was pushing any limits. If I or my friend knew the springs needed to be replaced, I still would've gotten the head and would've replaced them before the build since the price would still be the same as building a GSR head except I would have to get it worked and it wouldn't've had a port.

This still has not been proven to be false or true. You folks that just posted aren't proving anything, you're just playing back the stuff we've already gone over in this thread.

Modified by caster troy si at 7:52 PM 2/20/2008
Old 02-20-2008, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your valvetrain was not new it was used.

**** happens..

especially with used stuff.

wow, so you trust your friend..well that doesn't change the fact that your **** was used.

**** happens.

go ahead, keep bumping this thread asking for answers...you just don't wanna realize you're already getting them.

it's probable a number of different things could have happened..so how are we supposed to pinpoint one reason as an answer?

edit: who cleaned up the head anyways? did you ask them?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ipodhustle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ipodhustle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's probable a number of different things could have happened..so how are we supposed to pinpoint one reason as an answer?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You start with figuring out possible things that happened. Which we've already done here. Then, you look into each one. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it was a lie that the springs only had 3,000 miles on them. I figure the pressure differences between the new one that I was sent, and the rest of them, will prove how much wear is on the springs.

I've got a guy with a spring pressure tester, but before I can start taking measurements, I've got to locate the installed spring height and I don't have the right tool.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alterdcreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> 9,200 rpms is pretty high for a d/d. on new parts thats ok but used parts....asking for somthing. no matter what went wrong it could have been prevented if the head was fully inspected before use...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The car was not daily driven. In-fact the whole 5-6 months it was running, I was out of town on business for 2 weeks at a time back in town a weekend at a time. So when it died in bumper to bumper traffic, I was driving it to work but its still not a daily driven car. The only reason it accumulated nearly 4,000 miles is because I built it and broke it in in FL then drove it back home to Memphis, TN.

Why get it inspected by someone else when it appears immaculate and you believe that it had 3000mi old parts in it? Maybe if I didn't believe that it had such low mileage.

Modified by caster troy si at 10:18 PM 2/20/2008
Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by caster troy si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Why get it inspected by someone else when it appears immaculate and you believe that it had 3000mi old parts in it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

"appears immaculate"

just like my friend who sold his salvaged titled car that got repainted. it was ****. it had 90k+, but he rolled it back to like 19k. there was no smog required by the DMV because it took like 2 years to completely register the vehicle. he was actually attacked in the car and his blood was cleaned off the itr interior. blood was everywhere except for the gauge cluster. when they were done cleaning it, it looked ****.

so the new owner thinks he got a really clean car that was barely driven (i mean cmon, look at the paint job it's still new! lol) when in reality it was due for a timing belt and needed some other things done. he even used gm synchromesh FD transmission fluid to mask his grind in 3rd gear LOL.

if it were me, i would have gotten that car checked out by a mechanic atleast, because i'm not the person who can do a compression test, check the timing belt, etc.

do you resurface or mill heads? probably not..so even though it appeared immaculate, that might not have been the case.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It seems as though all you're trying to confirm is that I was deceived here. Ok, maybe I was. If I can prove that the springs have a lot of wear and tear on them then I would say that I was effectively deceived. Be-it the guy I bought it from, or one of the previous owners down the line.

Of course I knew to get the head resurfaced. That was one of the perks for this head is that it was already done. With a NICE machine, too. My machinist claims it was done with a really nice machine and that he couldn't get the surface that nice. The combustion chambers and ports were so clean you could eat from them. There was absolutely no discoloration of the metal anywhere. The head was immaculate enough to believe that it was freshly rebuilt. Which of course doesn't line up with the 3000 mi story. Even 3k will leave some grime behind. The 3k that I put on it left a little grime in the combustion chambers.

The head was ready to use and was going to be used by a guy that I could trust. When I did use it, it worked great and even put down 207whp on a dynojet! Ran strong! Then when the first spring broke, I was told it was the first broken spring to ever have been reported to RLZ. Damn, now I sound like a broken record! Please read the thread before ya post!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you're saying the valvespring should have been perfect?
you honestly believe that it would never break?
you're not even 100% sure of the true mileage it had.

eghhhhhhh.

go ahead, argue back. this thread gets no where.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not when you post lol
Old 03-18-2008, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ipodhustle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you're saying the valvespring should have been perfect?
you honestly believe that it would never break?
you're not even 100% sure of the true mileage it had.

eghhhhhhh.

go ahead, argue back. this thread gets no where.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 im good frinds with all at rlz and lots of friends havea had htere cars built tuned over hauled what ever uw anan say and brad and howard have dome nothing but good things and top work..

sry to tell u bud i think you just got unlucky. and broke a spring.. but thats just my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (luvmihatch)

hmm, is this nate character in melbourne? if so its the shop right around the corner from me. never seen so many smoking hondas come from one shop in my life. have heard multiple horror stories surrounding his tuning capabilities as well as engine installs . all street tunes......please dont let it be the nate i think it is
Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bluedlude)

upon further reading I see the bizarros pizza, in which case it is the same nate. hes got a reputation for tuning hondas because hes the only one in palm bay to do it. he takes advantage of people who see their car hooked up to a laptop and think that they are gettin the mad tunage. a couple blown turbo motors from what ive heard...
Old 03-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N/A LS/VTEC RLZ Valve Springs with RLZ III Cams

It sucks to read bout htis unfortunate mishap and I hope that you get things put back together and can make some descent numbers once more.