All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Mystery knock

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 02:06 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery knock

New to the forum just need some help!
Got a knock coming from the engine only happens on cold starts. Sound is coming from valve train but goes away after 4 to 5 knocks and doesn't come back until the car has been cooling turned off to about ambient temp. So about 2 hours or so. Its a b18b1 stock. It started around when I was trying to jump start my friends 300zx and he consumed the life of the honda haha and the alternator gave out about half way down the road. I turned it around and was revving it about 5 to 6k until I made it back to his place to replace the alt. After I got it up in running in 2 hours I noticed that I was high revving it with no oil so I start it up and get some oil. No sound until I changed the oil and find metal shavings. So I bring it to AGM a real good honda tuning and repair shop and get the bearing changed and got lucky that it didn't scratch the main journals and the bearing was just going out. So we replace all of them to spec and with oems, after cleaning as much metal shaving as we can. Made sure the oil pump works and everything before putting everything back on. After 8 hours of waiting for that and replacing the valve cover gasket and getting a valve adjustment for the bae we start it and it makes the knocking noise but we all just thought it was oil needing to circulate a bit more but that wasn't the case cuz for 4 months and it's been doin it. Just need some input please if anyone has encountered this or something so I can fix this annoying yet terrifying sound soon! Also I have tried thicker oil and doing a complete oil flush with Pennzoil haven't got the time to really fix it since I've been prepping for deployment soon.