Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

more potential: h22 or b18c5

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (-KangaRod-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -KangaRod- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm also a firm beliver that bigger has to be better...
However people with b-series seem to be faster, so perhaps the proof is in the pudding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Apply my stupid Antarctica and Mahnattan Island analogy to that one....
Bigger would be better, but only if you (or the engine factory) took full advantage of it.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Lsos)

exactly what I'm trying to say. There are a lot more people in Manhattan than Antartica, but which piece of land would you rather own if they were both bare?
Now also change the fact to manhattan is the colder place (better flowing heads) and it starts to become obvious which land I'd take
Old 10-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (Bob-DC2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob-DC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most people dont know what parts, or where to get good parts for the h22. so the run a crap *** header and other stuff

my challenge will still stand to others

i know the gearing sucks. but when you make 20+whp and 20+w tq that should compensate for things</TD></TR></TABLE>

The H22A hatch that I beat had the same if not better parts on their H22A than I did on my B18C5. I only had an AEM intake, DC 4-1 header, 2.5'' cat, and Tanabe RD exhaust with a re-chipped P29 UNTUNED versus their AEM CAI, Top Speed header, testpipe, and a nice exhaust (forgot the brand) and they too had an H22A LSD tranny vs. my B18C5 S80 LSD unit.

Mod for mod we were identical, all the way down to slicks and 60 footers.

My car simply pulled harder - end of story.

I will agree that a lot of H22A swaps are ghetto because the guys doing them honestly think it's cheaper than a B18C1 GS-R swap, but once they see that they needed a lot more than just the $2,200.00 asking price for the swap alone they start rigging **** to fit their budget.

Again max built vs. max built the H22A would probably have the edge, but then again what's the world's quickest N/A Honda? A B series.

The world's fastest is a SOHC F series with a D series tranny (duh, he's posting in this topic).

Neither are H series - why is that?

Also this thing about head flow in terms of H22A vs. B18C5 - stock for stock are you sure the H head flows better?

I understand that fully built vs. fully built the H might flow better, but who here has the funds to go fully built?

Old 10-10-2003, 10:18 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm dropping a semi built H22 in my cx over the winter. And I"m building it for autox, yeah I know its going to be front heavy but I'm working on that. I have to try it out first hand. Because all I see is everyone bashing on it but I've only seen one person actually try it in autox. The h22 and the c5 are totally different motors, the h22 wasn't designed to rev to ridicilous high levels opposed to the c5. And like someone mentioned earlier when you strap a turbo on b-series it almost equals out to the weight of h22. Almost but not exactly.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:24 AM
New User

Default Re: (goforbroke)

I believe this result is cited for the claim that the H22 head flows better than the B16 or ITR head.

http://www.alaniztechnologies.....html

Then there's this:

http://www.alaniztechnologies.....html

It does look conclusive at least at that depth.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for 2k, i will have easily 200+whp

custom header header 500
2.5" mandrel exhaust 400
hodnata s100 250
440 injectors 250
intake manifold ported * polished 250
filter on a stick is 150

no itr motor will hit 205+whp with that setup

we can argue all we want on the internet and it will get us no where. once im running, I will be happy to run anyone.

im already giving my buddy (austin) **** so im sure he will want to try to shut me up

as i said, its a matter of what mods, and if they are desigened properly.

i know what works and doesnt work.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:31 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

Check the Alaniz website for comparisons of stock heads on the flow bench.

Your comparison is interesting, but anecdotal. If both cars are not tuned to their potential, then its hard to say what's really happening. Additionally, the one overarching factor limiting H-series cars (and why there are so few truly fast all-motor H's) is the tranny. It sucks. The gear ratios are so-so and it can be very difficult to shift at high power levels.

The H-series engine has more potential than the B-series. No question. The H-series drivetrain (engine, tranny combined), may not. The tranny is a definite impediment.

C_A_T
Old 10-10-2003, 10:50 AM
New User

Default Re: (C_A_T)

How if at all are you planning to address the shortcomings of the H tranny Bob? Nice setup BTW. Love to see results when you're done with it.

I don't think many dispute the potential of the H series engine, it's the availability of aftermarket parts & the less than optimal gearing that I and many others don't like about it.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:50 AM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Mod for mod we were identical, all the way down to slicks and 60 footers.

Like I said though, more R & D seems to be going into B series, so maybe Mod for Mod isn't a good comparison

Again max built vs. max built the H22A would probably have the edge, but then again what's the world's quickest N/A Honda? A B series.

like I said, I'm not going to pretend I know, because I don't. On paper the B series seems to be edged out, but like I said the edge seems to be with the block with more R & D into it. It wont take long I believe (and was for longer thant the b-series I believe) before an H series catches up to a B series.

The world's fastest is a SOHC F series with a D series tranny (duh, he's posting in this topic).

Bisi is here, right now? Shows how much I know.

Neither are H series - why is that?
Also this thing about head flow in terms of H22A vs. B18C5 - stock for stock are you sure the H head flows better?

By comparing the two flow charts: http://www.alaniztechnologies.....html and http://www.alaniztechnologies.....html you can see that the PR3 head never outflows the h22 head. although in the two of those it appears as though a stock PR3 flows exactly the same as a C5 head, which we know of course is not true. I'd take the H22 head since in a worst case senario it passes the Pr3 head by such a significant margin.

I understand that fully built vs. fully built the H might flow better, but who here has the funds to go fully built?

Correct, we're not debating built for built, that wasn't the original question, but I still think I'd go with the H22 vs the C5, it will be cheaper, and have more long run potential once people research it more. A good question nobody has asked is, is this guy going to leave the motor stock, or build it? Are we comparing a regular H22 or the Euro-R 220 hp version. Does the Type S (or Euro-R motor) have a better head that the regular H22?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-11-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

modded type-r vs modded h22a.

only difference is when both cars go... the R traction while the h22a one passes the R while lighthing up the tires...

getting the h22a to harness the power to the ground and you have a real monster. otherwise it's like haveing a 396 69 camaro ss, with stock 15 inch tires.. it will be impressive but won't go fast...

I've had B series before and modded them, since i switched to H series the only issue i have is vibration from the mounts... but i still won't take a B series back..

if you really want to compare it's like this... put 4 people in your R and put 4 people in my h22a ....

wait a minute let's make it fair, i'll hook the trailler and put the two jetskis on board.... oh and a fat chick on the jetskis....

get the point....

rpm keeps it there, torque gets you there!

I don't see many record breakers with B series anymore.. seems alot of H series around now...

i'm curious to see K series flow chart compared to H series to see now that would be a good comparison... K series has the ECU problems to tune, with the technology.. but H series is wide open with hondata... so until you can self tune a K series .. the OBD1's will rule the pack, because you can't take advantage of the I vtec in the k's...

Old 10-11-2003, 11:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (HotWheelz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't see many record breakers with B series anymore.. seems alot of H series around now...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What records?

1/4 mile ET?

B Series.

Trap speed?

F Series.

Name some records that the H22A holds pleas.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll just add my comment.

It's only now that the H22a is about to hit the point where we can see the real potential of this engine. It's only now that enough of you crazy hybrid bastards have dropped enough H22as in to warrant parts manufacturers to serious start developing parts.

I'm just going to point out a few things that have been holding the H22a back power wise, and where it's going

1) Header - due to clearance issues on the Lude, most 4-2-1 headers make sacrifices to clear the crossmember. Finally companies like SMSP, Hytech, Prospeed/Elite have finally released All Motor headers that make power.

2) Intake Manifold - Still NO All Motor Intake Manifold on the market. The Stock IM just plain blows, the dual runners and butterflies make a mess of top end power. The Euro-R manifold is single runner, but is still too small and is a pain in the *** to modify to fit. Skunk2 delays the IM release for 2 years and is still delaying. I'm pretty much reserved to buying a sheet metal manifold because I don't care anymore and I want BIG all motor numbers so I think I'll just go with sheet metal. Until we see some proven IMs come out power will be limited

3) FRM Sleeves - It's just a pain in the *** to build an H22a block. To put in a forged piston you have to sleeve the block, people have tried and failed to do this many times. There are rumours some companies will be putting out FRM friendly forged pistons soon. But I'd be really wary of them, and if they actually work.

4) Balance shafts - The rob hp, I can tell you how much next time I hit the dyno. The vibration reducing comfort shafts are not needed, but are standard H/F series stuff. creates a fair bt of drag on the rotating assembly as it spins 2 shafts at twice engine speed. I'll be cutting the belt to see how much I gain.

5) Crank Pulley - Unless you're psychotic, you can't run a UR Pulley on the H22a, the larger stroke/displacement and the vibrations inherent in the engine are just bad for bearings. So you get a 5 pound weight on the crank rather than 1.25 from a UR pulley. Sucks but it's not worth the risk.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm facing most these problems (Stock IM, GReddy header only 2" DP, balance shafts running) and I'm still making good power with a full street setup (cat, exhaust).

So now that the H22a parts market is getting closer to a critical mass, I'll be pushing wayyyyyy more powa!
Old 10-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (satan_srv)

The next year will be a big year for the H22...

I am taking on development for a new IM from IB for the H22...

You will also see a REAL header, cams, valve train, throttle body, pistons, rods, stroker kits and deck plates from us...

And the grand puba of all things being developed for the H22... IB H to B Series trans adapters!

Unfortunately The B-series market is at much higher demand so we are working on that line first but H22 is next up...

Old 10-11-2003, 06:10 PM

Default Re: (RS_H22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RS_H22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am taking on development for a new IM from IB for the H22... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice to hear, can you timeline that and/or give me some more info/specs?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unfortunately The B-series market is at much higher demand so we are working on that line first but H22 is next up...</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's pretty much the general statement that explains why the H22a isn't kicking the B18C's *** all day. Nice to see some people are taking on the development, in the long run it will prove itself
Old 10-11-2003, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (satan_srv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by satan_srv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Nice to hear, can you timeline that and/or give me some more info/specs?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have the runners done and the flanges done... The runners are long (a little longer than whats out on the market now) and tapered into an oval at the flange... The plenum were still playing around with, we have a few designs were testing so I cant really say much about it... should be able to put some pics up of the final version when I get around to finishing it... Which will be when were done with the B series stuff and I start on my build... (Jan.-Feb.)

For now we have...
-Valves
-Springs
-Retainers
-Rods H22/23
-Pistons 87-90mm
-Race Heads (new core or your core)
-Race Headers (in production)
-Throttles bodies (80-75mm) which will work in conjuction with our IM

More to come for the H22 guys, cams are on the way soon as well...
Old 10-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RS_H22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And the grand puba of all things being developed for the H22... IB H to B Series trans adapters! </TD></TR></TABLE>

What's the purpose of the H to B series trans adapter? If you dont mind telling me.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:07 PM

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (ek_jeremy)

look at it this way..pretty much all the cars on the fastest street all mtor registry are b series..same goes for most of the fastest ull drag all motor cars...
Old 10-11-2003, 11:08 PM
New User

Default Re: (Natural Aspirated)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Natural Aspirated &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What's the purpose of the H to B series trans adapter? If you dont mind telling me.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Simple. H series trannies suck. Gaining easy access to B trannies would be a boon to H builders.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C_A_T)

Bisi runs a d-series tranny mounted to a f-series block. Would a f20c tranny bolt up to a h22 block? Hell if someone can make a kit for the b-series tranny to work...i'll go h22 in a heartbeat. I just would want to take a little of the torque out....i would go big bore and destroke it w/ a f-series crank...(the world of endless possibilities.......)
Me and my buddies always talk about those detuned accords from road racing......hell they dont even race those cars....where they at? LOL....that technology never made it over to the drag racing side.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i autox my h22 hatch jdm h22 non-lsd....lots of fun it certainly doesnt handle BAD, and its pretty tail happy especially in transition. u might want to talk to Progress susp as i know they make a susp. setup for h22 hatches in particular. good luck and let me know how you do.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:30 AM

Default Re: (fasthatch89)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fasthatch89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Bisi runs a d-series tranny mounted to a f-series block. Would a f20c tranny bolt up to a h22 block? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It could, but the H22a spins the wrong way.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just would want to take a little of the torque out....i would go big bore and destroke it w/ a f-series crank...(the world of endless possibilities.......)</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's called the F20B, it's already available (200ps@7200/145tq@6600), not tooo expensive, and yes it's the destroked H22a Accord SiR-T motor that the F20C was based upon.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (SilverEk3dr)

if Erick start using H22,then i wud go for H22,for now B18c!
Old 10-12-2003, 06:31 AM
New User

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (vteczone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vteczone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if Erick start using H22,then i wud go for H22,for now B18c!</TD></TR></TABLE>

...OK toolbox.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: more potential: h22 or b18c5 (TimoneX)

well last night i hopped in a GSR with type-r cams and stuff.. took it for a rip, i laughed all night.... I simply couldn't beleive that back then i thought i had something!! hahah... i was like "ok when is vtec going to hit, then i hear a faint grown" and was like "that must be the butterflies" because vtec can't be that weak.... and i was looking at the tack to hear a sound change... until i hit the limiter at 8400.. i was like HAHAHAHAHAH... my god THAT was vtec ?

hahaha... man you couldn't PAY me enought to drive a B series anymore..

I should get a incar video of VS modded Type-R VS modded H22a.. so you can see what two cars can do... not take off, because then they'll blame the launch or tires or driver.. but a run from 70mph to 140mph so you see which motor clearly pulls harder and longer.

then it should end the debate.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RS_H22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... And the grand puba of all things being developed for the H22... IB H to B Series trans adapters!</TD></TR></TABLE>

When is this coming out ? I remember when Area 51 was supposedly fabricating one but never went through with it because there was no demand. Will this be out before the race season begins next year ?

Quick Reply: more potential: h22 or b18c5