All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

K20 or stay B series

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (C_A_T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C_A_T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Haha, well, if the bottom end is stock (and the cooling system too), then you should have no worries. That's why the K is so incredible. Built b-series output on factory block, head and cams (ITR). No worries about whether you forgot to tighten that rod bolt

C_A_T</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well those pesky electric water pumps
you know what i mean shawn

i will be back
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: K20 or stay B series (CHEETAH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CHEETAH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The k-series is still maturing, the B-series is prolly at its peak with the amount of performance manfufacturers making parts for it. I have a k-series to start building and am somewhat in a similar boat, the problem with me is mounting and wiring for the chassis that I really would like to put the k-series swap into, like CRX and Civics. Speaking to a friend at Hasport, there isn;t much demand for that type of mounting kit and so no plans to make mounts ... sucks !!!

you also have to remember that you probalby haven't though of, is the ecu and ignition key needs to come with the swap or you're **** outta luck trying to find an ecu/key combo ...

Wait a few more years and let the k-series mature a lil bit, the b-series produces tremendous power to play with, even in the land down under so be patient is my opinion.

Greg</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanx Greg. I'm running a standalone so the ecu/key thing aint a problem. Mounts I can do myself. I'm thinking of an engine plate between the motor and box.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:43 AM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (AussieB20vtec)

Hmmm. Pulled the B20 and box out today to see how the K is gonna mount. Right hand drive is a b1tch. I gotta move the master cyl and booster inside the car to make room.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you figure out a way for that motor to fit in that little bay AND work i will declare you the man of men. good luck.
-Roger
Old 08-08-2003, 05:03 PM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (E-Town4229)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Town4229 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for that motor to fit in that little bay</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe im just misunderstanding him..but i would just like to add that the K-Series outter dimensions are smaller then the B-Series.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 PM

I'll have to admit one thing guys...

I've been reading more and more about the K swap and with all the excellent opinions given here in this topic... i'll keep my SOHC until the swap becomes more common in 1-2 years...

Then it will be like installing a B16 in a CRX and that's something I can tackle in a week-end.

So bubye B16A plans for my newly acquired EK(just got her after a 2 year Honda withdrawal...) i'll be waiting on those K's

Until then , i'll just save up some $$$ because the prices on the K will drop slowly but I dont count on finding them half-priced soon.

You guys are great, that's why I like to read here everyday
Old 08-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (10K2HVN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 10K2HVN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
maybe im just misunderstanding him..but i would just like to add that the K-Series outter dimensions are smaller then the B-Series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

to an extent i can agree with you. ive seen a k motor on the ground and it looks about the same as a b series (maybe a little taller) with the transmission its still probably about the same. what i am really concerened about is things that extend beyond the longblock like the intake and exhaust manifolds would fit inside the small bay of the 3g civic. im not trying to discourage aussie from trying it nor am i saying its impossible. i just think its not going to be as easy as he might think it is. but for his imagination and desire to try something different. again aussie good luck i know if it works for you ill probably try to give it a shot.
-Roger
Old 08-08-2003, 11:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jsalicru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you can do it aussie!
Old 08-09-2003, 10:47 AM

Didn't say it was gonna be easy. But I keep coming back to the fact that I have probably the lightest platform available for (potentially) the most powerful base.
I have to change from cable to hydraulic clutch, rod to cable shifter, move master cylinder and booster into cabin, make mounts, make driveshafts, wire engine from scratch with a stand alone that has never been configured for this motor, squeeze headers into a tiny space and cool the thing. All this with no (or little) help from people who have done it before (unlike the CRVTEC)
But then I punch the power/weight into the Moroso and a small (maniacal)smile develops hehehe
Old 08-09-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: (Kidloco51)

K series

i wish i had the cash and time for a "special K " project
Old 08-09-2003, 07:44 PM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (10K2HVN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 10K2HVN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you can do it aussie! </TD></TR></TABLE>

OMG
Old 08-09-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (TheTruth709)

I might try one next year when my budget is a little more in tact
Old 08-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (Paul_Vang)

don't the k-series motors all spin the opposite direction from b-series? this was a problem i kept hearing in the past...so how do u get around this problem?
Old 08-10-2003, 09:19 AM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (azian21485)

"don't the k-series motors all spin the opposite direction from b-series? this was a problem i kept hearing in the past...so how do u get around this problem?"

by turning the engine around.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:08 PM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (foot)

You have to swap motor and box. These components are swapped around left to right in the engine bay on K and B. ie box goes to drivers side from passengers side when this conversion is done.

Going to measure some bits at the wrecker this morning.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As others have said, the biggest problem with K-series motors is going to be swapping them into earlier cars. And while some see K-series motors as being the future of Honda performance, I can't say the same about the cars they come in. When it comes to going fast, smaller and lighter cars will ALWAYS be better. Double wishbone suspension also helps. So until someone comes out with a mount kit for K-series motors into the earlier cars, I can't see too many people using them.

As for B-series motors becoming extinct, I can't see this happening. First of all, you must remember that Honda engine swapping is just a fad. Sooner or later, it will end. And that means a larger number of engines available for people who are actually 'true' to the scene. Also, you are seeing more and more aftermarket blocks and heads available for B-series motors (similar to what you see for the also discontinued original Chevy smallblock). This will keep B-series motors alive and kicking for quite some time.

Another whing to consider if you are looking for more than a B-series motor can offer is an H-series swap. These motors offer the potential for HUGE power and are MUCH easier to swap into older cars. They are also quite a bit cheaper than many of the B-motors.
Old 08-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (StorminMatt)

i have 2 cars with h22's now and i'm finding that out. there is much power to be had and the extra weight is negated by the torque potential. 200whp in the h22 can be cakewalk...and so is the torque output.
Old 08-12-2003, 07:54 PM
New User

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (Lip)

For those wanting to start a project go here: http://www.ballisticracing.com/RSX_Motor.htm
Make me an offer within reason.
Old 08-13-2003, 03:23 AM

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (StorminMatt)

The important thing to consider is head potential. A B head simply cant flow like a K. Whilst getting 200whp out of the H is reasonably easy, what about getting 250whp? Getting (a streetable) 250whp out of a B is a real struggle. Getting (a streetable) 250whp out of a K is reasonably easy. Getting (a streetable) 250whp out of a H.....has it even been done?
Old 08-13-2003, 11:15 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AussieB20vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ... Getting (a streetable) 250whp out of a B is a real struggle. Getting (a streetable) 250whp out of a K is reasonably easy....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree.
I want a K20A ITR motor so bad but they're all going for about $5000...
My engine builder (friend of Dr. Charles who put in the K20 in that EK) can do
the swap easily.
Old 10-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (s2geezy)

Some one should start a K20 group buy.
Old 10-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (Lip)

id take the 2.4L k series over an h series. same bore as H but more stroke, 170hp 145tq with bolt ons. (thats about 5hp 5tq more than a stock h22 with bolt ons and id say alot more potential and the ability to use a k series rsx tranny instead of an H)
Old 10-16-2003, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (Suprdave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Suprdave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It isn't as 'crisp' as a Hydro Shifter...*Shrugs*

Cable Shifter makes it alot easier to put into different cars tho...

Suprdave</TD></TR></TABLE>Have you ever drove a RSX Type S? I think it shifts smoother then any Honda.
Old 10-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E-Town4229 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
to an extent i can agree with you. ive seen a k motor on the ground and it looks about the same as a b series (maybe a little taller) with the transmission its still probably about the same. what i am really concerened about is things that extend beyond the longblock like the intake and exhaust manifolds would fit inside the small bay of the 3g civic. im not trying to discourage aussie from trying it nor am i saying its impossible. i just think its not going to be as easy as he might think it is. but for his imagination and desire to try something different. again aussie good luck i know if it works for you ill probably try to give it a shot.
-Roger</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know for a fact that the K series is smaller on the outside than the B series. That was one of the huge benefits to it.
Smaller engine = smaller engine bay = smaller car = less weight = more efficenecy.
Since its smaller than the b, its way smaller than the h. I still think its a little to early to tackle something like putting a K20 into a 3G, but if you can giver, then do it.
Don't forget about the VTC, you'll need cam gears to get rid of that so your standalone will work!
-Edit-
Why not put it into a CRX 1300? that'd be even lighter still.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:49 PM
H25
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: K20 or stay B series (Suprdave)

i shift my cable shift linkage faster then I do a b series.. dont be scared of the unknown... cable is much smoother, i drove the first k20R swaped civic and the shifting felt just fine to me..

Quick Reply: K20 or stay B series