Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

k20 RBC intake mani. on a h22?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: k20 RBC intake mani. on a h22?

yeah black smoke is fuel..... you try adjusting your FPR?

Rosko, sorry about that post... thought i remember you telling me you made your own thermal gaskets. i should of just checked your website before i made that comment.

Last edited by BigBlock22; 11-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that your smoking isue is a injector problem...If your injector are not wired correctly your car will smoke black at idle for sure.

To be sure look your injector wiring...
Old 11-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM-H22
Well. good and bad news lol.. seams all the leaks are fixed? I think I cant find any but it wont idle right and its pouring black smoke out the tail pipe.. Think its running really rich?? I dont see just changing manifold and TB. would change the fuel mix that much but idk what else it could be. I know a leak makes it not idle right but I cant find any leaks. and the smoking thing my guess would be running rich, It never! smoked before.

Edit::: Found a leak on my IAVC adapter plate.. I didnt put any sealer or gasket between the IAVc and the plate so that could be the idle problem but on the smoking idk. Fuel?
did you invert MAP and TPS conector ?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by andreh22a
did you invert MAP and TPS conector ?
Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to honda, But what do you mean by Invert the map & TPS??? And I know I got all the leaks fixed. Before I never had to touch the idle screw for it to run & stock it come all the way out. Just to get it to start I had to ajust the idle screw so it could get air! and I'm still using the stock injectors and wiring harness So I shouldnt have any injector wiring problems. and na havent messed with the FPR yet. Its still set at the stock pressure.. At idle its 43psi. Guys it sounds like I have a hugh cam in it lol.. Kind of loping.. Like a V-8 with a big a$$ cam.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think he was referring to mixing the sensors up or wiring them wrong since they are close together and both are three wire sensors. but you apparently had the car already running fine with the stock manifold im guessing. did you see what Rosko said about the h22 injectors not fitting normally in the injector holes(on previous page near the bottom)? he mentioned something about having to add silicone or something to make a good seal. otherwise air will leak through where the injectors sit in the manifold.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:26 PM

Yeah BIGBLOCK I seen that and we had disgused that before in emails too... I sprayed stuff all around the injectors and it didnt suck any in or change the idle so think I'm good there.. Plus I had to ajust the screw on the throttle body just to get it to start this last time.. But heres how the TB is all hooked up.

I think I just need a Tune. I just installed a VAFC for now till I get a S300. Going to try and ajust the fuel but I still think somethings not right.. No way this manifold and TB knocked the fuel mixture this much out of wack! RIGHT?? If anything I was thinking Before I started this it should have made me a little leaner instead of richer. Having a bigger less restictive I.M. & bigger T.B.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Heres a couple of pics of my Rosko goodness..

Old 11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, if you bring in enough more air into the engine, the ecu might try to compensate for the higher volume of air intake by adding more fuel. i think the question is; how much air will it take in order to make the ecu alter the ignition/fuel maps?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah BIGBLOCK I seen that and we had disgused that before in emails too... I sprayed stuff all around the injectors and it didnt suck any in or change the idle so think I'm good there.. Plus I had to ajust the screw on the throttle body just to get it to start this last time.. But heres how the TB is all hooked up.

I think I just need a Tune. I just installed a VAFC for now till I get a S300. Going to try and ajust the fuel but I still think somethings not right.. No way this manifold and TB knocked the fuel mixture this much out of wack! RIGHT?? If anything I was thinking Before I started this it should have made me a little leaner instead of richer. Having a bigger less restictive I.M. & bigger T.B.
You've got the map sensor wrong there man. It needs to go to the plenum, right now its getting its vac source on the wrong side of the tb. It should run good without a tune, well at least decent. Ill post more when I'm home.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:35 PM

Well that might cause an issue huh Shawn... I'll drill and tap the plenum tomorrow for a new vacuum source..Should I just plug the hole where I have the map at now or is it used for anything else? Thank you Sir! Bigblock.. Plus like I said I just wired in my vafc.. I'm going to double check my wiring diagram tomorrow. make sure I have everything right For the fuel map. And I think Rosko is on to something. I have the MAP on the front side of the TB instead of behind the TB, So that would make it read totally wrong and thats why it would be dumping fuel so bad.

Last edited by JDM-H22; 11-07-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i was wondering why you didnt use the original MAP sensor mounting location on the rbc manifold?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlock22
hey i was wondering why you didnt use the original MAP sensor mounting location on the rbc manifold?
Cause thats for a k-series map. The H-series is different and wouldnt work. There's one on the TB though! I might try to use it and see how that works out before I tap a new hole? Either way I have to tap the manifold though Thats were I have the port for the FPR right now. I just hate trying to tap manifolds, Its so thin and hard to get a good thread. But Thinking now I do think Rosko is right and thats my whole fuel problem, Is were I have the map located. Theres no way its reading right
Old 11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Arent you running a spacer between the manifold and throttle body? Drill and tap right there.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you have highlighted for the MAP goes to the charcoal canister (that pinkish colored hose) What you have for the FPR vacuum is where your MAP sensor would go. Thats why i have 2 fittings tapped for other vacuum (on for the #7 hose to the charcoal canister and the other for the FPR) That should help out
Old 11-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you did not want to tap and dont mind waiting for it to arrive (or some local shop may have one) use one of those vacuum blocks. They are around 50 dollars and you will have all the vacuum ports you need. Individuals rocking ITB's and turbo setups use them. it was my original idea but i put in to the side
Old 11-08-2009, 11:02 AM

Ok I hooked the map where Blox put the map hook up on the TB and tapped the spacer for the FPR and it runs great!! Idles good & is hardly even smoking. Just when I rev it kinda high it blows a little black smoke out but a tune should fix that.. Big THANKS for all your guys help.. really appreciate it!
heres a couple pics of how its hooked up for other peeps.

And the finished look!!!

Old 11-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal how does it drive for you? Your alternator wires arent too close to the exhaust manifold are they cause the pics make them look like they're pretty close
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by jr_deleon
Good deal how does it drive for you? Your alternator wires arent too close to the exhaust manifold are they cause the pics make them look like they're pretty close
Dont know yet. I've only let it run in the driveway. I'm headed out now to run to Walmart for the wife and drive it.. I'll post up. And Thx I noticed that too, Must have happened working on everything. I moved all those wires.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Well car has a slight miss But I'm hoping thats just cause it needs to be tuned? But my Vtec isnt ingaging. Something on my Vafc isnt right i guess, So now I gotta figure that out. But the car seams to pull pretty hard still for having a miss and no vtec.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cause thats for a k-series map. The H-series is different and wouldnt work. There's one on the TB though! I might try to use it and see how that works out before I tap a new hole? Either way I have to tap the manifold though Thats were I have the port for the FPR right now. I just hate trying to tap manifolds, Its so thin and hard to get a good thread. But Thinking now I do think Rosko is right and thats my whole fuel problem, Is were I have the map located. Theres no way its reading right
lol, so i went back to take a look at my mani./TB and i just realized the location i was referring to for the MAP was actually on my throttle body.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looking at the pics, and in foresight, i will look into the fan switch options out there. There has to be some solution for TB clearance from the fan switch. Your 72mm is that close so imagine the issue i might incur with my 76mm. I'll post up what i can find. maybe a shorter switch from another series of motor or (which is a longer shot) a thermostat housing cover with the switch position in a different position. Right now the plug doesnt look like it would transfer heat but in my case it would rub against the TB and maybe mess up the connector and or wires (think the stiff mounts might prevent that) We'll see
Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM

Yeah mines a real tight fit. Your might not fit at all? Does the S300 have the ability to control the fan? If it does then you could just plug it and use the s300?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

speaking of fan switches, i noticed mishimoto says their fan switch will fit preludes on their website but when you go to online stores they dont mention it fitting the prelude. is anyone on here using the mishimoto fan switch or at least know the whole deal behind this?
Old 11-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah mines a real tight fit. Your might not fit at all? Does the S300 have the ability to control the fan? If it does then you could just plug it and use the s300?
good question... i plan on going with Neptune, i wonder if i can do the same thing and not have to worry about the fan switch.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:49 PM

I have heard of other people using Neptune and it has a fan switch thing. So you should be good. On this thread forgot what page? sorry. Someone posted a pic of there fan switch spot was shaved and he said hes using Neptune.

Quick Reply: k20 RBC intake mani. on a h22?