Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 02:07 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal?

sohc vtec, checked lash twice and is @ 6in/ 8out...

could it be the .468 lift on the exhaust side? that is pretty hefty...

it sounds like its got a loose lash...very tappy.

what gives?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:21 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (builthatch)

anyone!
Old 11-14-2004, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (builthatch)

Are those the lash specs given to you by Crower....or did you adjust them to stock specs(not familiar with sohc). I have exospeed cams in my LS and i had the same problem. I ended up having to go a little closer on the lashing than i was told to fix the problem. Good luck
Old 11-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (sCeRaXn)

I have a totally diff. motor(ZC), but when I put my cams in it was noisy as hell. I did some research, and talked to my dad(been drag racing since the 50's), and I found out that big cams are just noisy. And it definately sounds like youve got a big cam. One of the things I did is actually LOOSEN the valve lash a little. When I first put them in I set the lash at the tightest factory setting. I redid them at the loosest and it quieted down quite a bit. It was also had a little better idle.

If you can live with the noise(and you know you set the lash correctly), I would just leave it alone. Having a tighter lash could give you a slight increase in power. I know some of the guys racing in classes where they can't modify the valvetrain at all set it wicked tight to squeeze out a little extra lift. Not recomended for a car you want to drive all the time though. Too tight and you'll burn a valve in a heart beat, especially the exhaust valves, that's why their specs are allways a couple thousandths looser than intake valves.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (crxhybrid85)

well, i talked to Brian Crower, and he suggested i go to .004/ .006. I did that, and it's def quieter, however, its still a lil noisy...and IM NOT GOING any closer with the lash, i already am scared about burning up a valve hehe..

it's funny, never b4 would i consider running this close of a lash, and now i have the president of a legendary cam company telling me to do it...
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 PM

i have 404's and the tapping is kind of lound when the car warms up and then gets a little less noisy when the car warms up, but I just figured it was the cams since I got everything set to specs with crower 404's with valve spring and retainer kit
Old 11-16-2004, 06:04 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (tegRS)

what spec did you set your lash to tegRS
Old 11-16-2004, 09:39 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something for you guys to think about.

1) what causes the increased noise?

2) if you have the correct answer, does that characteristic make more power?

Inquisitive minds would wanna know.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:10 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (Rocket)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Something for you guys to think about.

1) what causes the increased noise?

2) if you have the correct answer, does that characteristic make more power?

Inquisitive minds would wanna know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. i am guessing the .468 lobes snapping away all the time on the ex. side, pretty aggro ramp rate...

2. yes, if that is what is making the noise, then it's DEF making power hehe

Old 11-16-2004, 10:14 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was into to Air-Cooled VW's I ran an Engle 110 cam and that thing tapped loudly and sounded like a angry sewing machine.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (Rocket)

Well Jarred`s probably sounds like an agry weed-eater or dustbuster.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:12 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Default Re: installed Crower Stage 3 today...seems rather noisy, what the deal? (vtecvoodoo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well Jarred`s probably sounds like an agry weed-eater or dustbuster.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, yeah- a weed-eater with a loud *** valvetrain hehe

an old school d guy (ok, not so old school, motec nate T hehe) told me that GUDE used to shim the LMA, however...the LMA only have something to do with VTEC, and specifically the intake side....and this noise is coming from the exhaust side...this cam makes the engine tappy as well as makes it seem like the exhaust is being forced thru the header @ 4X the normal speed, its for a putt putt effect going on at the head. i heard a video of a zex 59300 idling and the sound seems pretty similar....and the 59300 is ***** **** vs. the crower 3...oh well, brian said run with it hehe