Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Hondata vs. Vafc

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata vs. Vafc

i currently own a vafc and the only "good" place i can find to tune my car in town only does vafc's and prefers them over hondata. i've been reading up on hondata though and it sounds like a great system w/ much more capabilities but will i see that much more power over a vafc and would it be worth the hassle of goin to socal to get it tuned? if anyone has ran both please put in your 2 cents. thanks
Old 06-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (junya16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junya16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i currently own a vafc and the only "good" place i can find to tune my car in town only does vafc's and prefers them over hondata. i've been reading up on hondata though and it sounds like a great system w/ much more capabilities but will i see that much more power over a vafc and would it be worth the hassle of goin to socal to get it tuned? if anyone has ran both please put in your 2 cents. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both of great units, I personally perfer the VAFC.

The gains from switching over will be minimal, they will not be huge. Most people say that a VAFC is too weak for a high hp motor, but we did 242whp w/ a chipped p28 and vafc, mind you with ITBs, high compression and PUMP gas. so i think the VAFC is good enough

Arno
Old 06-10-2003, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (98itR484)

holy moly!!! what motor was this on?? what was the compression?? for the VAFC!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:15 PM
New User

There is absolutely no comparison between the two. I have had the vafc for 2 years (actually still have it since it's mounted in a custom manner) and have had the Hondata for a few months since I upgraded the cams. Hondata is far and away the choice if you're doing major internal work. The vafc is good for basic I,H,E, IMO.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (Type R Bob)

well with my setup in my sig..which you would reccomend and take in to account that i'll have to sell my vafc and get hondata and get it tuned 5 hours away...is it worth that?
Old 06-10-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by junya16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well with my setup in my sig..which you would reccomend and take in to account that i'll have to sell my vafc and get hondata and get it tuned 5 hours away...is it worth that?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, IMO, it is not worth the drive or the upgrade. If the person tuning your car knows how to work the VAFC, there will not be any major gain. Again, we use VAFCs on all of our cars, even the 242whp one, which was a b20vtec built, w/ juns.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is still no control of the dynamic timing in the maps, only control over the base timing. The fuel adjustment increments are also not as detailed, so more power can and always will be made on the Hondata unit. The VAFC is a ecu hack manipulating off the map sensor voltage, the Hondata unit tunes the injector milliseconds and dynamic timing.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (boosted hybrid)

With Hondata
- you can raise the rev limit,
- and you have nitrous control,
- and you can upgrade with a 3 step launch control, datalogging boost.

The VAFC as mentioned is very coarse in its adjustment compared to the stock ECU and has no ignition control.
It does look better than the Hondata system though.

98itR484 Give me (Doug) a call tomorrow. Perhaps you can bring one of your VAFC cars to one of our tuning sessions for some training. You never know, you might end up with the ability to offer your customers more options.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (Hondata)

Doug,

I hope by no means you took any offense to my opinions, again they are my opinions, they may be totally off in other peoples eyes. We also do have cars that run off of a Hondata unit, so we do use your products as well. We know all the capabilities of the Hondata unit, and what kind of system it is, just wanted to make sure you did not take any thing offensively.

Arno
Old 06-10-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the conversation goin boys...like to hear more opinions
Old 06-11-2003, 04:55 AM
New User

I personally like the VAFC, but does the HONDATA set the ignition for each increment.

V-AFC is good to set the fuel curves, VTEC cross over and can give you 2 type of settings for your setup

If you can set the Hondata ignition timing and fuel timing for each RPM, I will choose the HONDATA over the V-AFC anytime
Old 06-11-2003, 05:20 AM
New User

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is still no control of the dynamic timing in the maps, only control over the base timing. The fuel adjustment increments are also not as detailed, so more power can and always will be made on the Hondata unit. The VAFC is a ecu hack manipulating off the map sensor voltage, the Hondata unit tunes the injector milliseconds and dynamic timing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, this is why the vafc isn't what you would want to properly tune your Jun setup, I was simply beaten to the answer .
Old 06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (Type R Bob)

say i made 200whp w/ full tuning of the vafc...how much more would you think hondata could make?
Old 06-11-2003, 10:28 AM
New User

I can't estimate #'s, but it isn't just about increasing your peak hp. Having smooth lines across the board is more important (both tq and hp). My torque peaks at about 4k and is almost perfectly linear across the rest of the board. Hondata and a good tuner will help smooth everything out more than a vafc and will likely increase your #'s across the board, IMO. Like Sgt says, the best tuned engines are sometimes more boring to drive (referring to the early and consistent torque peak). I have to laugh when I jump on the car and despite not feeling that big torque kick at the vtec x-over, my speedometer is flying. It's a little bizarre, although you won't get the same sensation w/ the Juns and their drastic x-over.
Old 06-11-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also a AVFC is about $325 to $375 and a Hondata standalone system is only $245 and you have more options to tune I don't have to bring all of them but one of the biggest one is TIMING.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No offence taken at all. The offer is still open to call and visit us for some training. We need more good tuners in CA.

Old 06-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what does it take to get trained for hondata tuning. I've been toying the idea of doing this part time.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Future Texas Boy

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (EF_LSVtec)

Myself and 2 friends would be interested in the training.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

has hondata relesed anything for the pw0 or pr3 yet as i was thinking vafc was only option
Old 06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hondata &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No offence taken at all. The offer is still open to call and visit us for some training. We need more good tuners in CA.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

CA... that should mean CANADA too.... Doug, has anybody from Canada paid you a visit for training?

Particularly western Canada?

Old 06-11-2003, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxchris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxchris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has hondata relesed anything for the pw0 or pr3 yet as i was thinking vafc was only option</TD></TR></TABLE>

here ya go http://hondata.com/ecus.html
Old 06-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (RagingAngel)

I'll volunteer RagingAngel and myself to learn how to tune in Canada...
Old 06-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (AzN_Flava)

hondata
Old 06-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (AzN_Flava)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AzN_Flava &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll volunteer RagingAngel and myself to learn how to tune in Canada...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

If Doug says it's a go, you wanna drive down to Cali?

Doug Hello?
Old 06-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata vs. Vafc (RagingAngel)

Yes I would

now once he says yes, i'll get my motor in my car, and lets roll...

Quick Reply: Hondata vs. Vafc