Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

H22A Port & Polish - Expert Feedback Needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H22A Port & Polish - Expert Feedback Needed

What do you think of my friend's H22A cylinder port job. All opinions/comments weclome, especially all of you veterans/experts out there.

Frank May of Pocketrockets Racing) did all the work. This is suppose to be his 300cfm package. I too am considering getting some work done on my B18C5 head and was wondering if it's adviseable to go through Frank after seeing the results of my friend's H22A head. BTW, no flow charts for my friend's H22A are available since they were not prodvided to him.

Here are the details pertaining to what was done to the head:

(1) Super-Tech valves .5mm O/S

(2) Crower springs standard height & titanium retainers

(3) manganese bronze guides (lowered installed height to eliminate rockerarm machining)

(4) quench welded up, cc'd for 12:1 with Type-S pistons allowing use of OEM head gasket

*NOTE* Installer did not want to use 1 or 2 layer gasket to raise C/R or high comp valves or milling head.

Here are some pcitures of the finalized product:

Here's an unfortunate incident that occured due to packaging/shipping:

Modified by Pikey at 6:03 PM 7/28/2006
Old 07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know if youll hit 300cfm with that. It just looks like simple bowl work to me. Id send your head to portflow. The most important are of the head i cant even see in those pics tho.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (Combustion Contraption)

What part of the head exactly are you referring to that you cant see with current pictures?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The short and lone turn radii n the intake side, with the valve removed, looking comb chamber in.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 PM

I might be able to get pcitures of the head with a intake valve removed. What's the bowl?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bowl area just below the valve seats. Take a few picturs with one intake valve removed, that will be enough.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Wow. Im no expert but that doesnt look to great. And that broken cam cap may be a problem. Cam caps are machined to match the cylinder head they come on. You cannot mix and match cam caps from other heads, you will have clearance issues when you torque them down.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 PM

Thanks Combustion Contraption for your input. My friend is quite busy with work and all but I'll try to get a pic with the intake valve yanked out.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:19 AM

Default Re: (Pikey)

I have to agree they only did an itr type port job on the bowls.

Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 AM
Kill Gil

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Combustion Contraption &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know if youll hit 300cfm with that. It just looks like simple bowl work to me. Id send your head to portflow. The most important are of the head i cant even see in those pics tho.</TD></TR></TABLE>
wait, don't H22 head already flow close to 300cfm stock?
Old 07-28-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GUILOTINE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GUILOTINE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wait, don't H22 head already flow close to 300cfm stock?</TD></TR></TABLE>i thought they flowed 270ish cfm stock....could be wrong though
Old 07-28-2006, 08:24 AM

Default Re: (Professor15)

I am no expert, but showing a head on the internet and asking if its good work is pretty pointless. Head work isn't so "cut and dry". Frank from Pocket Rockets may have a totally different way of doing things--I assume you gave him all the info about your setup and perhaps he only worked on areas that he thought needed some work. Add to that from what I have gathered--a dry flow bench cfm number should be pretty far down on the list of what will make power. It doesn't take in to account the gasoline in the air, the fact that flow isn't linear it "pulses" and reverse flow which is very important. Also, a huge port might be able to flow alot of air--but if the velocity really drops it might lose power everywhere--even at high rpm where conventional thinking dictates a huge port will at least have good high rpm power. I think the only thing people who don't see the head in person or dyno it can tell you is that it HAS been ported. Everything else is next to useless info.....Sorry if I offended anyone but its the truth--and I sure as HELL am no headporting/airflow expert....
"
Old 07-28-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Professor15)

I wouldn't even worry about that, it look's like the cam seal will be fine
Old 07-28-2006, 08:29 AM

Default Re: (d16dcoe45)

Another reason I see dry flowbenches as being nothing more than a rough guide is that (unless I am missing something on fluid dynamics and air flow) a porter can simply "hog out" ports--remove alot of material--I am pretty sure you would get fantastic dry flow numbers on a flow bench (primarily for bragging rights or advertising purposes)--but you would probably lose power EVERYWHERE and turn the motor into a dog. I could be wrong though....
Old 07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (d16dcoe45)

Here are some pics of my H22 head that flows 322 cfm to compare. Side note - the exhaust ports are coated with a Calico coating. Lets also not get into a debate on cutting the guides. Everyone does it how they see fit. DPR Racing

Modified by ranta18 at 8:24 PM 7/28/2006
Old 07-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ranta18)

That cam cap is only aesthetically damaged, will seal fine.

I wouldn't doubt that an h22a could flow close to 300 with a valve job/bowl work. how much did your friend pay?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Combustion Contraption: here are the pcitures you requested. Take a look and and let me know what you think.

Is this a high flow valve cut?

Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ranta18 - great looking work, thanks for sharing those pics.

Pikey- Thats some decent bowl work. I can still see some tiny, what appear to be cutter marks in some f the pics, but i could be wrong. It will probably perform decently, but its very hard to tell through pictures if it will hit 300cfm.

As for the valve, it looks to have a 45 deg seat cut, and a tiny (.020 or so) 30 deg back cut. That will do the job just fine.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: (hybrid_KJ)

hybrid_KJ: my friend payed just under 1900$ CAD taxes in. port work, welding, and for the valves.

My friend supplied the Crower springs. And regarding the cap, he took it to 3 local head shops and they all said it wasn't worth fixing, and it shouldn't be a problem anyways. so he just jb welded it.

*Note* my friend said he doesnt know what he's got in terms of quality and performance, and he didn't mind me posting pics if it help's me make a decision and learn a few things. He just wish he got the flow charts that Frank May promised to him.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats $1900 is USD? Thats alot of money for what you got. Id demand some flowbench charts if i were you.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM

Thanks for all your expert advice and comments. This has certainly given me an idea of who i should deal and what else to look for if I choose to do some headwork on my B18C5. BTW, how important is it to get flowcharts?
Old 07-28-2006, 06:00 PM

I know $1900 CAD which is about $1700 USD is alot of money for what he got. That's why I chose to post on here to see peoples reactions and opinions. As for the flowcharts, my friend was supposed to get them from Frank but so far has not received them. To this day the flow charts still have not come in and my friend is still hoping they will arrive, but I will not hold my breath.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:57 PM

Default Re: H22A Port & Polish - Expert Feedback Needed (Pikey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(1) Super-Tech valves .5mm O/S

(2) Crower springs standard height & titanium retainers

(3) manganese bronze guides (lowered installed height to eliminate rockerarm machining)

(4) quench welded up, cc'd for 12:1 with Type-S pistons allowing use of OEM head gasket </TD></TR></TABLE>
ok so those parts and it looks like they replaced the intake seats as well after the welding.I dont think thats so over priced at all.I would have liked to see some better sanding/blending work in the chamber though for the money.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Re: H22A Port & Polish - Expert Feedback Needed (Fkned)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Fkned &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so those parts and it looks like they replaced the intake seats as well after the welding.I dont think thats so over priced at all.I would have liked to see some better sanding/blending work in the chamber though for the money.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No the valves seats were not replaced after the welding.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:51 PM

Default Re: (ranta18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ranta18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here are some pics of my H22 head that flows 322 cfm to compare. Side note - the exhaust ports are coated with a Calico coating. Lets also not get into a debate on cutting the guides. Everyone does it how they see fit. DPR Racing

Modified by ranta18 at 8:24 PM 7/28/2006</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice job on your head. It seems as though there is significantly more work done on your head. I'm curious to know as to how much your headwork cost and what is the benefit of Calico coating?

Quick Reply: H22A Port & Polish - Expert Feedback Needed