All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

H22 trans issues...Question inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 12:20 PM
H-T Administrator

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default H22 trans issues...Question inside

Ok, after shovelling my way through that other topic (ITR vs. 2.2) and seeing quite a few people show interest in building a transmission adapter for a B series trans to an H22 motor. I am curious as to how far along in research some of you are? Having looked at both setups fairly extensively, I'd like to hear some logic on how you are going to get around some of the problems. Please DO NOT post if you are just going to start a fight. All I am after here is good information from educated people. If you don't want to post publicly, feel free to IM me.

Clayton
Old 10-14-2003, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (Clayton)

I'll give it a free bump, as I am interested.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clayton why don't you ask houseman autosport in London...they probably already do that stuff every day
Old 10-14-2003, 09:12 PM
H-T Administrator

Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (satan_srv)

I never thought of him Joel. I knew he did custom FD's and gear sets, but never thought of him for something like this. Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know what the result is.

Clayton
Old 10-14-2003, 09:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Clayton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I never thought of him Joel. I knew he did custom FD's and gear sets, but never thought of him for something like this. Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know what the result is.

Clayton</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://www.housemanautosport.com/prod10.html

BAM!!! Adapter Plates.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u did this, what clutch and flywheel combination would u run? sounds interesting
Old 10-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We looked into it but have decided to bypass the project... Cost is way too high and the market isnt big enough to support the cost of production... Houseman charges an arm and a leg for the custom kit, I think as high as 1600... but keep in mind this guys work/products are just about the highest quality you can get anywhere... You get what you pay for with that guy
Old 10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (RS_H22)

yeah...thats definitely a lot...the market wouldnt justify the production
Old 10-15-2003, 04:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RS_H22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We looked into it but have decided to bypass the project... Cost is way too high and the market isnt big enough to support the cost of production... Houseman charges an arm and a leg for the custom kit, I think as high as 1600... but keep in mind this guys work/products are just about the highest quality you can get anywhere... You get what you pay for with that guy</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but you get one and produce it somewhere else I would think. His H22a Final Drive was only $1000 or so I seem to remember.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah...u could do that...but someone would have to fork out the initial $1600 and i dont think he'd be too happy with someone copying off his design and robbing him of customers
Old 10-15-2003, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (chidoks)

Its not just 1 you would buy for the initial purchase, its 5+... you have to test the product on multiple cars and aplications so you start off with buying at least 5 pieces... Then, say everything works out with testing... You move on to production costs in which you usually do around 100 pieces which is your inital tooling and first 100 pieces included... The initial production run is costly as well... Now, you have to look at the market... you just invested thousands and thousands of dollars getting this product developed and produced, you have to get the price in an area that will both make the market happy and at the same time try and make some of that money back you initaly invested... The market has to be there as well, if this product you just invested in doesnt have a huge market than you just invested in a wharehouse full of paperweights... From a purely business/financial standpoint it didnt seem to be worth it...
Old 10-15-2003, 12:44 PM
H-T Administrator

See, that's the issue here. A company may want to look into this as a saleable item, whereas a race team may only need 1 or 2 of these pieces, depending on what parts are involved, and whether or not it is an item that may need servicing, or be subject to wear and tear. While it is true that for a company it might not be a viable option, but for those teams who race with H22's and need other transmission options, $1600 seems like a pretty decent price to have the B series of transmissions to choose from right?

Clayton
Old 10-15-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (chidoks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chidoks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u did this, what clutch and flywheel combination would u run? sounds interesting</TD></TR></TABLE>I think it would have to be a H22 flywheel of your choice with an H series pressure plate and B-series disc. Is the H22 tranny wider than a b-series? if so I see current mount becoming obsolete with this type of setup.
Old 10-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: H22 trans issues...Question inside (fastwanabe)

I understand that some people see the Cable Shift from the H22 tranny a draw-back, but wouldnt it really be easier to import some Euro R gears to rebuild your H22 tranny's with (or have some made) instead of putting on the B series tranny?

Just an idea.....either way I'm itching to do it

Mark