Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Does anyone have an opinion on Aeroturbine Exhaust System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System?

Is this for real? Corvette C5 gain 53.1 horses and 51.5lb/torque. Has anyone try this exhaust on your Honda? Even if about ten horses is good on a small displacement. I am quoting this from this website.

"AeroTurbineŽ is the world leader in airflow technology. The company spent over three years in Research and Design to develop the new AeroTurbineŽ exhaust technology.

Most vehicles have extreme restrictions on exhaust airflow, which increases exhaust temperatures and decreases engine longevity. The AeroTurbineŽ breakthrough, based on thermodynamics and jet engine technology, literally accelerates the flow of exhaust away from the engine, leading to:

Reduced Temperatures
Increased Horsepower
Increased Torque
Increased Fuel Economy
Less Engine Wear & Tear

A BREAKTHROUGH IN HIGH PERFORMANCE EXHAUST TECHNOLOGY!

When the incoming exhaust air stream enters the AeroTurbineŽ it is rapidly expanded due to the properties of heat transfer, and then split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a conical jet engine. The outer airflow velocity is increased due to the increased distance the outer air must travel. The higher density inner air stream also creates a low pressure vacuum in the outer expansion chamber that assists in the drawing of the air out of the exhaust pipe. The air begins to spin because of the increased velocity and pressure transfers. The outer air stream then accelerates as it recombines with the inner air stream. The recombining of the air streams creates a vacuum that both muffles the exhaust sound and increases the exhaust flow. Thus allowing your engine to breathe easier and dramatically increasing your vehicles performance. The AeroTurbineŽ allows the more efficient combustion to create added power instead of simply dumping more fuel into your engine.The AeroTurbineŽ achieves incredible performance and improved gas mileage while creating the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market."

http://www.aero-turbine.com/

Modified by Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4 at 10:58 PM 1/4/2005

Modified by Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4 at 11:00 PM 1/4/2005
Old 01-05-2005, 04:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4)

They're decent exhaust system in my opinion. That said, I wil never get another one. Too damn loud. They work, though. I took 4/10 of a second of my time at the track, and that was with a 97 dx coupe running header into 2.25 piping(no cat) into an AeroTurbine muffler. Just leave the cat in(or don't gut it too much) or it'll be way too loud
Old 01-05-2005, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (black_dohc)

interesting, kind of the AEM V2 or rather, better, the Weapon-R secret weapon intake theory ....only on the exhaust end.

*shrugs* the theoretical fluid dynamics are sound, dunno how much it'd actually help IRL though.

- Nathan
Old 01-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Banned

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (92Lx)

Any pics?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (LSVTEC 91 Civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LSVTEC 91 Civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any pics?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did find a few pics of sport compact cars on their site with gross inaccuracys.

One Example: Suppose to be 2002 Acura RSX but I think it's a neon w/M3 sideskirts and unknown altezzas.

Old 01-05-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (n1div)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1div &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did find a few pics of sport compact cars on their site with gross inaccuracys.

One Example: Suppose to be 2002 Acura RSX but I think it's a neon w/M3 sideskirts and unknown altezzas.

</TD></TR></TABLE>Most importantly, we are not here to ridicule anyone's hybrid or creation. Instead, we are trying to seek the truth about the exhaust's performance. Thank you.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dai_Ca_Vietnam_H22a4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most importantly, we are not here to ridicule anyone's hybrid or creation. Instead, we are trying to seek the truth about the exhaust's performance. Thank you.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah but even more important is if you go on their site, they have quite a bit of pics of sport compact cars with their muffler on it but that's about it. You can't find any kind of dyno pics or even objective efficiency tests on it. All you'll find are testimonials from various people that "think" it made a difference.

If the company's product was really that much superior, you would think they would do back to back dyno tests against other leading performance mufflers.

All the theory bs sounds good but in reality, it probably has very negligible performance effects.

btw, forget about the corvette increases since it is a well known fact that you can gain a lot of hp with just an exhaust from that motor.

Just my $.02
Old 01-05-2005, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (n1div)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1div &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah but even more important is if you go on their site, they have quite a bit of pics of sport compact cars with their muffler on it but that's about it. You can't find any kind of dyno pics or even objective efficiency tests on it. All you'll find are testimonials from various people that "think" it made a difference.

If the company's product was really that much superior, you would think they would do back to back dyno tests against other leading performance mufflers.

All the theory bs sounds good but in reality, it probably has very negligible performance effects.

btw, forget about the corvette increases since it is a well known fact that you can gain a lot of hp with just an exhaust from that motor.

Just my $.02
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is why I produce this forum to see if anyone obtain results from their own dyno. I know what the site said and I understand your argument. But I would like to obtain some input from personal experience of owners.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Def
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A BREAKTHROUGH IN HIGH PERFORMANCE EXHAUST TECHNOLOGY!

When the incoming exhaust air stream enters the AeroTurbineŽ it is rapidly expanded due to the properties of heat transfer, and then split via an airfoil cone with an orifice similar to a conical jet engine. The outer airflow velocity is increased due to the increased distance the outer air must travel. The higher density inner air stream also creates a low pressure vacuum in the outer expansion chamber that assists in the drawing of the air out of the exhaust pipe. The air begins to spin because of the increased velocity and pressure transfers. The outer air stream then accelerates as it recombines with the inner air stream. The recombining of the air streams creates a vacuum that both muffles the exhaust sound and increases the exhaust flow. Thus allowing your engine to breathe easier and dramatically increasing your vehicles performance. The AeroTurbineŽ allows the more efficient combustion to create added power instead of simply dumping more fuel into your engine.The AeroTurbineŽ achieves incredible performance and improved gas mileage while creating the smoothest low throaty turbo sound on the market."</TD></TR></TABLE>

I see absolutely no reason why it'll work - especially the way they describe it.

1. WTF does every hole have the properties of an "orifice similar to a conical jet engine?" Yes - does that mean it has anything at all to do with a jet engine - NO. In addition - what does "the properties of heat transfer" have to do with a gas expanding when it fills a larger volume? In fact, it probably doesn't "expand" per say in that the density/enthalpy is reduced - but it does slow down due to a larger cross sectional area. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with heat transfer, and is a painfully basic fluids concept.

2. The outer velocity will NOT increase. There is no magic fluids fairy that says the exhaust molecules that happen to go around the cone will speed up so they can meet up with their soulmate exhaust molecule that it was spending quality time with before. Sorry - it will SLOW DOWN due to using some of the forward momentum of the gas to increase the centripetal acceleration of it - i.e. it takes energy to move the exhaust gas around that ridiculous cone, and it comes from the exhaust gas itself. Nevermind that the flowrate will probably be low around the cone since there is so much additional restriction it must encounter to exit this piece.

3. Higher density != low pressure. That's a basic law of physics.

4. The flow might spin if they have an assymetrical convergence between the two streams and cause the flow to experience a tangential force(i.e. wheel rolling on the road experiences a tangential force causing it to spin). It won't do this because of "increased velocity and pressure transfers."

5. There is really no discernable reason why the flow would magically "spin and accelerate" at the exit of this contraption. Sure - it would be a nice thing to have, but it's really not possible to do with the equivalent of an upside down funnel and a rolled up cheese grater.

Their whole reasoning is flawed given the one simple fact of fluid dynamics - the flow will tend to follow the path of least resistance. I'd be willing to bet a VERY small percentage of exhaust flow actually goes around that retarded "airfoil cone."

It's essentially a straight pipe with some extra crap in it that might slightly cancel some noise due to the phase shift of the sound waves having to travel a slightly longer distance around the "cone." It sounds to me like the inventor and PR person who wrote the website have never taken a entry level Fluid Dynamics or Thermodynamics course.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:42 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have an opinion on the Aeroturbine Exhaust System? (Def)

Thank you for the input Def. From the little information that I retained from two semesters of college physics, your argument is sound.