Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:54 AM
Very Emergency!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings?

Here is what's going on. I changed to a Blox intake manifold a couple of weeks ago. Upon startup, it strated smoking pretty heavily at idle. It never smoked before the intake manifold switch. It is definitley bluish/white oil smoke.

When I rev it up, it doesn't smoke until the rev's fall, then it smokes for ten or so second's and stops. Also smokes all the way through VTEC throuh all the gears.

Compresion test: 195-195-185-190

Any help would be much appreaciated!! Thanks!!
Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 AM
Very Emergency!!

Default Re: Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings? (emotionisdead)

Oh yeah, no smoke coming from the valve cover vent or the PCV valve box. PCV setup is hooked up correctly too.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings? (emotionisdead)

I would make certain that the intake manifold gasket sealed properly. So that its not leaking coolant over into the intake port on the head. You could also just check your plugs to see if they are oily or maybe covered in coolant.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Very Emergency!!

Default Re: Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings? (4GE4YA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4GE4YA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would make certain that the intake manifold gasket sealed properly. So that its not leaking coolant over into the intake port on the head. You could also just check your plugs to see if they are oily or maybe covered in coolant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, Im gonna retorque the I/M gasket right now. I hope it's that, but I highly doubt it seeing how the smoke smells like oil, I wish it was coolant and not oil
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just changing the intake manifold isnt gonna make u blow smoke, i believe u may have something else wrong, check the gaskey retq in the right sequence
Old 04-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Very Emergency!!

Default Re: Changed intake manifold, Now Smoking!!......Valve Stem Seals? Oil Rings? (A.E Motoring)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by A.E Motoring &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just changing the intake manifold isnt gonna make u blow smoke, i believe u may have something else wrong, check the gaskey retq in the right sequence</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, all the nuts were tight. You are probably right about something else being wrong. Maybe it as just a coincidence that it started to smoke when I changed the I/M. It probably would have started with the OEM manifold.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem on one of my gsr's before, it turned out that the T for the pcv valve was leaking oil and and it was falling onto my cat.