Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

B18CR Valve Springs and retainers.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18CR Valve Springs and retainers.

I'm going to be refreshing the cylinder head on my B18CR while doing the LMA's and valve stem seals. Since the mileage of this engine is unknown I wanted to replace the Valve Springs and retainers.
I'm keeping the stock cams and stock redline. I plan on doing Autocross and HPDE events in the near future.
Should I just go and get Stock Springs and retainers? Have they been updated over the years? And are they the same as the B18C5?
Or is aftermarket the better way to go?
I've looked at the different Brands and I'm not concerned about price. Reliability at High RPM and longevity for Daily driving are my top priorities. So that possibility rules out titanium retainers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Re: B18CR Valve Springs and retainers.

do you have a GSR or ITR engine?
GSR or B18C-1 is not the same as the ITR or B18C-5?
If you have a GSR the ITR springs and retainers are dual springs on both sides and are a step up BUT you don't need them if your keeping the stock cams and redline.
If you want you could install Skunk2 Tuner 1 cams and there Alpha valve spring and retainers! they are close to the 2001 ITR/CTR cam profile and will give you a good bump in HP while still keeping your stock like idle! they are also carb approved but these would be my choice if you want to just go a tad bit more aggressive than the Type R cams and springs. Just drop them in and go! Have a Tuner adjust them if you ever get tuned but they will be a good upgrade
Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: B18CR Valve Springs and retainers.

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
do you have a GSR or ITR engine?
GSR or B18C-1 is not the same as the ITR or B18C-5?
If you have a GSR the ITR springs and retainers are dual springs on both sides and are a step up BUT you don't need them if your keeping the stock cams and redline.
If you want you could install Skunk2 Tuner 1 cams and there Alpha valve spring and retainers! they are close to the 2001 ITR/CTR cam profile and will give you a good bump in HP while still keeping your stock like idle! they are also carb approved but these would be my choice if you want to just go a tad bit more aggressive than the Type R cams and springs. Just drop them in and go! Have a Tuner adjust them if you ever get tuned but they will be a good upgrade
It's a JDM B18CR Type R Engine. I plan on keeping the stock cams and stock redline.