Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Another Cam Degree Dumb Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Cam Degree Dumb Question

I know this has been discussed several times, and I have read many threads on cam degree, one of the best I found is this one: https://honda-tech.com/forums/all-mo...s-plz-2666753/
I need to understand: "Which means you find the crank degree at .050" of lift,and 50k from the seat closing. " , what does that 50k means and is?

that being said, I am very dumb to understand exactly what needs to be done. and I need a concise and practical example
I know how to setup the degree wheel and clock, I also understand how to find the TRUE TDC, and I did so, that part is 100% clear and done.
What I don’t understand (and this might be related to the fact English is not my primary language, so please forgive me on this) is how to Interpreter the cams card, or the numbers given on it.

Primary Exhaust 195 duration @ .050 Lift .284" / 7.21mm
Secondary Exhaust 179 duration @ .050 Lift .202" / 5.13mm
vTec Exhaust 252 duration Lift .425" / 10.80mm Peak Lift: 99BTDC

I have these details of the cam (let’s focus on the exhaust), and since I cannot measure vtec lobe properly, I would like to check the cams with the primary and secondary lobe, so, what I am looking for? What I am supposed to do?
If I understand correctly, I should start at 0 TDC, put the dial at 0, start moving the crank until the clock moves .050” and that should be 195deg for the Primary? Is that so?
I don’t really understand the “find the crank degree at .050” on the related post, so I am unable to understand how to use and implement those numbers
Also, it is my understanding that I can verify the cams vtec lobe centerline by measuring with the dial on the rocker directly (since I cant lock vtec, read below) is that true?

Can someone please try to explain this to a dumb guy who’s English isn’t perfect? J

** Background information** :
I have put a set of s2s1 cams+cam gears, and they work perfectly, I did not degree them, just set everything to 0 and adjust valve lash, since I was not a able to lock vTec with air and I didn’t want to remove the rockers, beside I knew those cams where very light on the valve train and didn’t need more adjust.
Now everything is working but I still want to degree the cams to ensure the cams are 100% perfect and I don’t need to adjust the gears to find the true 0 (leave alone the gains of advancing/retarding, this is not related to it)
Since I am not able to lock vTec I at least want to verify and ensure the primary and secondary are correctly set, also, it is my understanding that at least i should be able to check and find the vtec lobe centerline by measuring at the rocker directly.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Cam Degree Dumb Question

This is by far one of the best descriptions on how to degree cams. There are other ways to do so but finding lobe center is the best way.

Web Cam Inc. - Performance and Racing Camshafts / Degreeing In Your Camshaft
Old 02-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another Cam Degree Dumb Question

Thank you very much, that did help a lot