All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

20 Valve Head (Stupid Question)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 20 Valve Head (Stupid Question)

I do understand I could run a more powerfull engine, however I want to run a 1600cc engine, so going off what I know about Toyota's lovely 4A-GE (also 1600cc) with the TRD 20 valve head I figured I'd ask. I was planning to do a full flow bench test and everything, like I've said I'm not new to the engine building scene I'm new to the Honda powerplant scene. I'm really sorry I created such an uproar in your community with my questions I didn't mean to upset anyone. I apologize for my lack of Honda knowledge, but I'm learning everything I can every day. This thread may be locked anytime, I feel I have gotten the information I needed from it. Again I'm sincerely sorry to have upsetted any enthusiasts.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 AM
FSAE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you've upset anyone. I think there is a general consensus that your enthusiasm towards potential improvements in the cylinder head are great. However, your specific goal of creating a working 5-valve cylinder head for a Honda B-series application is a bit off-course, since there isn’t much of a valve restriction with the current design.

Like I said earlier, you could design and build something marketable if you address the weaknesses of the B-series cylinder heads. Specifically the inability to run larger than ~0.520” lift without rocker clearance issues. This does not require re-casting of the cylinder head, and you can keep the existing piston geometry.

If you really wanted to go crazy which involves recasting, try to narrow the included valve angle to something more like the K-series. This can allow for more valve clearances and subsequent valve timing options, along with larger valves.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I felt like I'd upset some life long Honda guys with my lack of knowledge reguarding these engines. I will have to buy some second-hand heads from several different Honda series engines and test them on the flow bench to see what happens and try to engineer a way to get more power out of them.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well if you are using a bseries engine there are B16 and GSR castings.(i'll leave out the nonvtec options because they dont keep up with the vtec counterparts) the ITR head is a B16 casting with a 65* bottom cut and some bowl work.
you can start with either one and end up with pretty much the same airflow. the gsr head has quench pads and the B16 does not. the gsr inlet port is raised compared to the B16
Old 12-19-2009, 02:11 PM

u wont need dif pistons just make sure ur compression dosnt change that much and if it does u prob will need new rings and if it to high then u will need new pistons