Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

Custom bracket to mount 4-piston RL calipers on a TSX

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Custom bracket to mount 4-piston RL calipers on a TSX

Hello everyone,

I'm guessing many of you have already seen this on TSXClub. Many others have probably seen this project done in the past by someone else. Still, I wanted to give it a try myself, so here we go.

I picked up an extra spindle for $50 to take measurements off of, and got used RL calipers for $200. They're in good working order, but I'll probably spend some time giving them some TLC with a wire brush and some paint.

The calipers are big. Bigger then TL brembos. Also, they mount radially instead of on the mounting ears like TSX & TL calipers, so a bracket is possible. Not a big fan of swapping the TL-S spindle - not only is it a lot of work, but the dimensions are different, resulting in POSITIVE camber, and surely some negative effect on the camber curve.

The rotor used is from an 350Z track edition (brembo brakes). Its a 324 x 30mm rotor. RL rotors are 320 x 28. TSX rotors are 300 x 28.

All other dimensions of the 350Z rotor are ideal for this project. It sits VERY close to the dust shield, which I will probably remove, but you could probably keep it if you wanted to.

Heres the final result, which is a little different then previous attempts at this. It will be made of steel. The rendering does not show it, but the studs are threaded (thats what mounts to the spindle) and the holes are threaded. You can use the OEM RL caliper bolts, or find some other long bolt. Other brackets have used bolts going the opposite direction, requiring them to be ground down so they don't scrape the inside of the wheel barrel.

Pads are available from EBC, and you can get whatever compound fits your driving style.

The calipers will not fit under OEM wheels - its not the diameter, its how far they stick out. They hit the spokes. a 1" bolt on spacer is required for the OEM wheel to clear. Other aftermarket wheels may fit, depending on the spoke design.

So thats about it! Wish me luck, and check back for updates.
Old 03-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Custom bracket to mount 4-piston RL calipers on a TSX

In for results!
Old 03-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very cool. Hope you're planning on selling these things!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, if you have spent the time to CAD the brackets, pretty sure others out here would love this setup. Great work, in for the finished product.