Notices
Acura TSX Acura TSX Sports Sedan. USDM TSX and Euro/UK/JDM Accord.

Cold start rattle. VTC actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Cold start rattle. VTC actuator?

04 TSX A/T

Lately I have been getting a 1 second rattle on cold starts only. It resembles the symptoms of a bad VTC actuator from what I've read and watched.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had the same issue on a 1st gen tsx, and what remedied it for you. There is a lot of conflicting information online which doesn't help. I would just like to know the best course if action since I will be taking it to a local mechanic- not Honda.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 452 Likes on 418 Posts
Default Re: Cold start rattle. VTC actuator?

I guess the K24A2 could get the VTC rattle. Don't think it was very common on this engine.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have that, it's on an 06 and I heard it might be the starter as well. It's not, I replaced the starter which went bad about 3 weeks ago and the rattle/grind on startup is still present. Been putting off buying because I just want to replace the actuator and spool valve assembly altogether but I'm 99.9% sure replacing it will remedy the issue.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I see it was common in second gens and other vehicles of those years with the 2.4 liter motor. There is a tsb regarding this for those vehicles, but not one for 1st gens.

That should rid the sound. Some people say Honda recommends replacing the chain and tensioner as well.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:45 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I replaced the tensioner @ 120k miles and I think the service manual recommends it at 110k, noise is still present and I didn't really see much of a difference between the two tensioners so I guess it's more preventative if anything. If you know the service history of the car and it's good there shouldn't really be a need to replace the chain. How many miles are on it?
Old 07-10-2019, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah good to know. I like to do preventative as much as possible. Changed the coil packs for peace of mind a couple months ago. The old ones weren't misfiring, and all I could see was that the bottoms were starting to develop a whitish/yellowish color. The car has around 213k kms (132k miles) on it. I'm unsure if any work has been done in that area, but I did see the car has been serviced numerous times in the car report. What trips me out is that it didn't make the sound when I left work yesterday. The sound was a lot quieter and shorter this morning. Almost resembles a heatshield rattle.

I try to diagnose an issue as much as I can before it goes into the shop so they don't throw parts at it.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 AM
Loves Tossing Salad

I think one of the most important things you can care for on these cars is the trans fluid. Make sure it's clean and at the correct level, heard many a stories about the trans going. Sometimes my actuator doesn't make the noise at all, I think on really hot mornings it doesn't. But every now and then it'll do it so I figure I'll get to it when I can. When was the last time you checked your suspension components and motor mounts? Basically the entire front suspension and all motor mounts on mine were trashed, rides much better now though. If I get to replacing the actuator soon I'll report back here and if you decide to replace the tensioner make sure you read read read the procedure on how to do it. If not you'll have a hell of a time with it.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. That's one of the first things I checked when I looked at the car. Trans fluid still has the reddish color to it with no indication of burning. Zero issues with slipping or hard shifts either. Yeah it seems the sound can be intermittent from what I've read as well.

I had to replace the inner tie rods before getting my alignment last summer, but that was it. Pretty sure the rear end links need replacing now as they are a weak point in these cars. Will get the fronts replaced as well when the time comes. Mounts seem alright from what I've seen. No idle vibration and a slight a/c vibration as per every Honda/acura hahah.

Yeah let us know how that goes if you decide to. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-UPDATE-

So it turns out it was the cat heatshield causing the rattle after all. I had the old one removed and no more annoying sound.

I also changed the pcv valve and the car runs a bit smoother now. The old one did have some crud on it, but it still rattled when I shook it. Glad that's all sorted now.