Notices
Acura TL, RL & ZDX Includes Legend, Vigor and 2001 - 2003 Acura CL

2005 Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 TL w/Aftermarket Stereo -- possible?

Does anyone know if it is possible to add an aftermarket headunit to a 2005 TL? I know someone who is interested in doing this, but they don't make any adapter kit to install anything aftermarket. She has a 2005 without Navi...

I've done a search and come up with nothing.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: 2005 TL w/Aftermarket Stereo -- possible? (p.g.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p.g. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does anyone know if it is possible to add an aftermarket headunit to a 2005 TL? I know someone who is interested in doing this, but they don't make any adapter kit to install anything aftermarket. She has a 2005 without Navi...

I've done a search and come up with nothing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

X2!!!!!
i got everything ready i juss need that dammmmm piece
Old 07-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Default Re: 2005 TL w/Aftermarket Stereo -- possible? (JDM-EKcivic)

I have a fax, which is a terrible copy, i probably couldn't even scan to show you... but my mom is getting this done in her car in a week or so... I'd be happy to send you pics when it's done. It's kind of interesting what they're doing, I'm anxious to see what it will look like.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres my question, WHY?

the stereo in that mother f'er is awesome, 5.1 dolby surround 6 disc changer, plays mp3, wma, cd-r, cd-rw, all that **** you can even plug your ipod into it. plus its got xm.

i cant think of any legitimate reason why you would change it.

it sounds great....... it may not pound your lungs out but it sounds awesome
Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: (ITR640)

that stuff isn't coming out, though... this model had no navi, just the boring colorless screen... so what she is doing is adding an aftermarket screen. acura told her that they couldn't (or wouldn't) put in factory navi. i know it can be done because i've seen that... but thats what they told her.

really, that colorless screen is hideous, imo.
Old 07-05-2007, 02:20 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: (p.g.)

The said they won't do it because the vehicles wire harness contains all the connecting wires for the Nav system. To isnstall nav in a no-nav car, you would have to do tons of custom wiring. Not impossible for a DIY, but Acura doesn't do custom stereo installs...

I couldn't imagine the center console of my 05 without that beautiful head-unit though. Sure the screen is blah looking, but the machined aluminum *****, buttom arrangement, and material are all so perfect...

Doing an OEM nav upgrade would be fun, but requires so many damn parts (head unit, screen, phone-call buttons, upper deck display/clock, DVD nav box, GPS antenna, etc)...
Old 07-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was waiting till i got home tonight to say what 94eg! just said

in addition to that, to add a navigation system the prices are rediculous, it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a navi one... seriously

or just add a garmin.....

good luck with your new screen hough sounds like you have a legitimate reason
Old 07-05-2007, 04:32 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Re: (ITR640)

How would you get the heating/cooling systems to work if your removing the screen & stereo?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: (94eg!)

it doesn't appear that it does.... the way the shop described it to me was more of a carPC install than taking everything out. The original screen is getting relocated... i am making this sound bad, but the mock ups i've seen are really cool looking... i am not an installer nor do i have much knowledge on this type of install, so i do apologize....

the quote to put factory navi in a car w/o navi was $3500, and i know this is cheaper or my mom probably would've traded the 05 in for a newer model. she was on the fence about it because she likes the updated TL, but she's pretty attached to the one she has. it took me long enough to talk her into buying an acura

sorry my descriptions and info suck, i really can't talk the talk with this stuff, i will admit! once it's done, which should be next week, i'll post pics and it'll make more sense if you guys want.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (p.g.)

don't forget the system uses shielded wires and installing non factory items like cameras and tv's will create lot's of gremlins down the road we have a customer that has a 05 with navi and she installed a reverse camera and DVD player and tv's and now she had to buy a complete navi system and harness because the installers cut the wires and soldered the after market items in-line. so after cutting the shielded wires and watching the navi screen have cool weird lines and blips in it she was pissed and brought it to us for warranty. after all said and done the installer had to pay for the repairs which ran his shop about 5 k plus the shop time we spent on it finding all the cool splices.
moral of the story don't expect the factory to perform any type of warranty on electrical problems like hvac and no home link or so forth because as soon as they see the non factory radio ect better open the wallet and you can call factory and the dpsm will meet and pretty much tell you the same thing. no way is factory paying. good luck