Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si?

Well I've noticed the older Si hatches are all pretty popular, the EG, EF and CRX even, however the current EP03 seems to be a flop? Why is this? I'm told it has better structural integrity, better seats and a great transmission. Power wise, not as great as the Type-R, but our Sis never are, and its still has 160hp which gets great gas mileage on regular fuel.

The car looks great (can't complain if you like the new golf), and to me looks like an excellent update of the previous EF and EG hatches. Also the Civic-TR seems to be a smashing hit in England as well.

Only thing I've really read about it that would hint to a dislike would be the nasty under steer it has. How easy... er inexpensive would it be to get one of these bad boys to handle like its on rails? Also would it be wiser/cheap/more-potential to simply save up for a Type-R/S power train swap then to screw with the current set up?
Old 05-03-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (Corbic)

1. Heavy
2. Ugly
3. Big change from the original things that made the older SIs so much fun
Old 05-03-2005, 08:48 PM

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=32

probably should be there with the EP3 and rsx forum

if it wasnt a hatch i might like it. i never did like hatchbacks.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (civictildeath)

It'll catch on. Give it a while longer.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (chowmien)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chowmien &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It'll catch on. Give it a while longer.</TD></TR></TABLE> I agree, the older hatches were not so popular when they first came out either.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 PM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is kinda heavy...
Old 05-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (Kal)

How much heavier then the oh so popular Ex coupes?

Also is the hatch available else where in the world in other trims, ala lower levels, or with an automatic? Or is it just the 160hp and the 210hp?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, the EP3 chassis comes in an EP4 5 door and EP2, 1.6l diesel I believe, or something like that...

I love my EP3, it has been more than forgiving to me as my first car that I've messed with more than audio...

Honda has love for the Hatch...

point in case, the CTR has Projector HIDs, ITR does not even have the option... Honda knows the EP3 will be a cult classic, it just takes time for people's opinions to change... There are another of other goodies the EP3 got over the DC5, namely electronic steering and dash mounted shifter... arguable, but I'm going with the "what Dad loves, eventually the kids will love" arguement.

Just wait until model year 2006 when there is NO hatch available!!! Then we'll see who loves the hatch.
Old 05-04-2005, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cuz it looks like a dustbuster!!
and its slow as ****!!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (Ocelaris)

The only rational things in my mind that would make me think why people don't like it as much is because of the McPherson strut design, and the fact that the usdm si has no "m4d vt3k y0!". (Which we all know asimple swap can change) Plus I know since the front cowl isnt as low, some don't like that.

I'll put looks aside since its a subjective matter.

1/4 mile times are pretty close between the em1 and ep3 (it cracks me up when people say its slow as ****, and then act as if the em1 was some performance flagship for the Si), it is definitley torquier, it is a more rigid chassis, handles well but if it didnt come with those shitty michelins it would be 10x better.

Its a hatchback ( I remember when the em1 came out and everyone was crying that it wasn't a hatch, honda gave us a hatch and they cried about that one, so now we get no more hatch) Interior is well desgined, with comfort and functionality in mind. Duh, look at the seats and shifter position.

It is a little heavier, but the k series platform has the poential for more power with just minor mods so that makes up for the porkiness. For the guys that put their cars on diets, it is pretty easy to shed some of those pounds as grassroots motorsports weighed the interior pieces when they gutted their project ep3 and for example, found out that the spare tire alone weighs 28lbs!

I think honda put together an awesome package with this car, the haters jsut dont understand I guess

&lt;-- proud ep3 owner

Modified by Tomek at 2:53 PM 5/4/2005
Old 05-04-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (H22EKHATCH)

well, although i was mad that originally many parts were made for the k20a2 engine, i still like my EP3.........and its definetly not slow.........i got a turbo in that thing and am getting my entier engine rebuilt, basically getting it ready to boost about 16psi-18psi.......yes, im obssessed and am putting alot of money into it to handle that much boost.......but this is the power and ease of the EP3 mods!
Old 05-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (nos4a2si)

they all become more popular as they are about to be discontinued
Old 05-04-2005, 07:53 AM

You have to put a good amount of money to make them look good but it's possible. They'll catch on sooner or later, they're just so damn heavy.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (EgRedSi)

I don't understand the slow and heavy argument. A race of a stock EP versus a stock EM1 comes down to the drivers, although the EP will win if both cars are equally modified. And weight... the 02-03 EPs weighed in a little over 2700 lbs (the '04s and '05s gained another 100-150 lbs). The EM1? 2600 lbs. Wow... yeah, it's sooo much lighter.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:25 AM

way too heavy.

the coupes are lighter than the hatches
Old 05-04-2005, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Heavy
2. Ugly
3. Big change from the original things that made the older SIs so much fun</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yep basically
Old 05-04-2005, 11:21 AM

the si is grown up. it's marketed that way and the younger end of the spectrum don't understand that.

heavy? please.

slow? for what? r0x0r teh 1/4? get a clue.

i love mine.

i_get_it, and i appreciate the changes.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kung fu grip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kung fu grip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the si is grown up. it's marketed that way and the younger end of the spectrum don't understand that.

heavy? please.

slow? for what? r0x0r teh 1/4? get a clue.

i love mine.

i_get_it, and i appreciate the changes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what about the suspension..can you honestly tell me it's a good design?
Old 05-04-2005, 11:54 AM

yes.

i've competed on mac suspensions for many years. this is one of the best designs i've seen.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM

The DC5 (with Mac suspension) will run circles around the old ITR (double wishbone). The DC5 is even heavier and still kills the ITR. Weight isn't all bad as long as it's used to make the chassis stiffer.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jimmyjames)

so you like the idea of having the steering arm attached to the strut itself? Why would they do this? I mean anyone with a little market data would know that the typical Si owner would surely lower their car at some point? So would they do something as counterintuitive as mounting the steering arms on the strut body itself? It's almost as if the engineers purposely made it alot more difficult to lower the car. If I had a dollar for every si that cam back to dealerships because of steering rack issues I would probably be rich

Modified by Halo at 1:37 PM 5/4/2005
Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: (Halo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Halo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you like the idea of having the steering arm attached to the strut itself? Why would they do this? I mean anyone with a little market data would know that the typical Si would wouls surely lower their car at some point? So would do something as counterintuitive as mounting the steering arms on the strut body itself? It's almost as if the engineers purposely made it alot more difficult to lower the car.

Modified by Halo at 1:35 PM 5/4/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just buy a good suspension like the Mugens. They reposition the steering arm.

All things being equal, I'd rather have double wishbones, but not at the expense of higher weight. They couldn't have laid things out the way that they did if they had to fit double wishbones into each corner of the car.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmyjames &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The DC5 (with Mac suspension) will run circles around the old ITR (double wishbone). The DC5 is even heavier and still kills the ITR. Weight isn't all bad as long as it's used to make the chassis stiffer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the vids of the DC5rs vs. DC2rs comes to mind.

dc2r &gt; dc5r
Old 05-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Re: (aznboysrfr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aznboysrfr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the vids of the DC5rs vs. DC2rs comes to mind.

dc2r &gt; dc5r</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not the ones that I've seen. The DC5 smoked the ITR on both tracks on the Best Motoring video that I watched. Stock vs. stock.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:49 AM
M75

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmyjames &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not the ones that I've seen. The DC5 smoked the ITR on both tracks on the Best Motoring video that I watched. Stock vs. stock.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hmmm... I think you forgot Best Motoring May 28th, 2004 dvd titled "VTEC CLUB"
They had a EPCTR, DC5, Accord-R, battle and the EPCTR came out on top! Then
again the track was wet with a few drizzles, but overall they all agreed the EPCTR
is a great car. Now compared to the US EP3,....(insert your unbias opinion)

Quick Reply: Why no love for the 02+ Civic Si?