Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Thinking about K-Pro but having doubts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about K-Pro but having doubts...

Okay i've done some research and contemplated on getting K-Pro for the past two months now. First things first im using my Rsx as a DD...not looking to track it by any means. Im already running the Cai/H/E, and i do want to make further purchases such as RBC intake and possibly Type R cams. I have been uneasy about getting K-Pro because for one i don't know if you'll be able to pass Smog in CA with it(I've heard yes and no). And also i heard fixing knock can be time consuming and it happens often. I for one don't want to spend endless amounts of money tuning my car if anything i plan on running a base map until i get all the parts i want and then getting it tuned then... If i don't get K-Pro then im going to get some nice wheels and start looking for Recaros etc... Power nor looks is a priority, but i can't decide weither to just go ahead and get the K-Pro or wait...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
o_0
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about K-Pro but having doubts...

if you dont intend to make your rsx faster, then you mind as well spend it on recaros or something to make your rsx nicer. kpro doesn't have immobilizer so there's higher chance of your car getting stolen.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm thats strange because i read that you can leave the immobilizer still intact on your ECU but with Type R ECU's you can't because it doesn't have that feature... I am not looking to go crazy fast in my car in fact i think it has enough power as is. I have just been saying yea ima get it and then two days later saying no. So im undecided and im trying to jusitify it cuz im probably going to get it eventually but i don't know if its something thats going to make a drastic difference and i should get it now or just wait...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:41 PM
Surje.motorsports

the immobilizer is not part of the ECU....k-pro has nothing but advantages for you regardless if your RSX will be used for dd....i use mine for dd...

you also cannot run the RBC or any other cams without getting k-pro....you can turn off the knock sensor with k-pro as well...you will be able to pass SMOG with k-pro, did you actually go to the hondata website and read what k-pro is used for or did you just read forums??
Old 01-07-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No i read their site... i was speaking in terms of if i disable the primary o2 sensor and whatnot if need be. And thank you that was the kind of response i was looking for. I wasn't sure if you needed K-Pro for the cams and RBC but that's good to know. I read that your immobilizer doesn't get removed though but if thats the case i don't think im going to be doing that then because theft is high in Vegas and in CA...
Old 01-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Surje.motorsports

why would you disable/remove your primary o2 sensor?
Old 01-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If the CEL comes on again when the primary goes bad...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Surje.motorsports

you still have to have two good sensors regardless of k-pro or not....if your primary goes bad you have to replace it otherwise you will throw a CEL....k-pro will allow you to have a RACE HEADER and eliminate the cat without throwing a CEL as long as you have two good sensors
Old 01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay see this is what a local shop told me. That with my RH i could just use K-Pro to get rid of my two sensors(This is back when they both needed to be replaced at the time) and i asked them wouldn't it make the car run like **** though. And they told me no because its not throwing the code so it doesn't mess it up. And then i was like well what about smog and they said i wouldn't pass for CA... I went ahead and paid 300 for both of the sensors and am glad i did. And i used a defouler for my secondary so im not worried anymore about the CEL coming on. I was just looking for reason to jusitify me going ahead and getting the K-Pro but this immobilizer issue is something im not happy about...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Surje.motorsports

you do realize that there is no way for a thief to know that your immobilizer is deactivated unless you tell them with a hondata sticker....in other words you have about as much of a chance of getting your car stolen without kpro as you do with kpro...just don't flaunt that you have kpro and you will be fine or don't talk about it in unfriendly company....if you don't understand, pm me and ill explain, its not safe to explain in the open forum
Old 01-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea i don't talk about what i have on my car as it is as far as others know its stock. And im not a decal ***** either so i don't flaunt anything i'll definitely keep in touch with you about it though you can lock this up or delete it...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Surje.motorsports

need this thread closed please!!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hondata systems are great, they can still be tuned smog legal by a goog tuner and it depends on your bolt-ons really. Better to use a K-pro imo.
Mine isn't legal, then agian Im running no cat and tri-y header with stage 2 cams, plus I live out here in Ohio.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If really concerned about emissions, limit the tuning to where it is now.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just have obd 2 rediness on when it comes to smog and you'll be fine. i passed smog with my kpro.(my stock header was reinstalled of course). there' is no con to getting kpro. im in cali and have never gotten busted for it. and i only have the primary sensor installed on mine.( you can delete the second one on kmanager) so you dont throw a CEL