Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

stock ep3 with a2 cams quastion

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock ep3 with a2 cams quastion

Has anyone heard of this setup? Can anyone share some information maybe links or threads. thanks.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock ep3 with a2 cams quastion

To get the three lobes you have to change the VT, rockers, etc.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:16 AM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A2 cams in the A3 engine, using a "vtec killer" setup. Total cost of under 200 dollars.
You will be running the A2 cams in the A3 head, locked in the high cam. This is the most simple easy way to get near type-S power from the humble A3 engine.

Parts : K20A3 exhaust rockers x4, K20A2 camshafts with gears, some hondabond

This will be a straightforward cam swap with an added few steps. The idea is to swap in the K20A2 cams and replace your stock intake rockers with the A3 exhaust rockers.
You can find a cam swap writeup on the clubrsx.com main page in tech info.http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/SSIICSRI.html I suggest you follow this guide, with the added step of pulling off the rocker assembly and replacing the intake rockers with the new exhaust rockers.

You will be running A3 exhaust rockers on both the exhaust and intake cam. Before you bolt everything back in, take note of the clearances between the cam lobe and the exhaust rockers. There most likely will be interference between the 2. Lucky for you, the cam lobe is very very very hard, and the rocker arms are made of relatively soft metal. I did not notice the interference at first, and turned the engine over a few times by hand and the cam "grinded" out the area which touched. I then took compressed air and a shop vac and sucked all the metal particles off the rocker arms.
I also changed the oil and filter right after.

The suggested way would be to grind/mill off some of the high lobe. The high lobe is VERY wide, and the rocker roller is VERY thin. The goal is to grind down any part of the camshaft that doesn't contact the roller on the rocker. Not only will this reduce rotational mass (+70hp for you ricers), but it will keep the cam lobe from gouging your rocker arms. You can do it MY way of letting it do that, but don't blame me when parts of the rocker end up blowing up your motor.

After everything is back together, you will have a hell of a time starting your car. Manifold pressure is around -8 in/hg while warm idle, and less while cold. The car will need to be cranked more to start when in extreme cold. My idle is around 800rpm. You will need to adjust many things, as the effective working MAP pressures on the kpro table will be from 10-0 in/hg instead of 20-0.
Rev limit is set @ 7600

VtecKillera3.kal

This is my tune for the A2 cams on the A3 block. This may help you get the car initially started, but please adjust. I wipe my hands of any responsibility if you decide to load this cal up and go on a 24 hour endurance race without tuning it.

Tips on starting the car
Hold the gas pedal down about 20 percent. Crank untill it fires(usually 2-4 seconds depending on the ambient temp)
Let it warm up completely. Mess around with the ECT compensation, or you may hit lean cut before the car is fully warmed up.
Lean protection is on
This is for 270cc base injectors
This should be good enough to get you around the block to start tuning
Idle is in the 4.0-5.5 in/hg MAP range. Much less when cold. The MAP scaling has been changed. Do not copy/paste the values into another basemap, it will be off.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 AM
Function > Form

Here is the list that I had made up...

1 set Vtec Cams
2 set of OEM a1/a3 exhaust rockers
2 set or OEM a1/a3 exhaust rocker shafts
1 a2 chain tensioner or your choice of upgraded tensioner
1 a1/a3 exhaust cam gear or your choice of stock or upgraded gear
1 a2 intake cam gear or your choice of vtc or non vtc gear
1 set intake and exhaust dual valve springs (highly recomended)
1 set intake and exhaust dual valve springs retainers (highly recomended)
1 set intake and exhaust dual valve springs seats (highly recomended)
1 set intake valve guide seals
1 set exhsut valve guide seals

A local shop owner here in Seattle is actually one of the first people to have ever done this. I have been looking into this for some time now. I don't know that I would ever go through with it though, maybe if I had a swap and wasn't worried about blowing my a3. I planned to do this when I through my JRSC on
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info. is there anything else i should know? is there a DIY for this? any people who know how to do the set up that i can find and pay to do it that live in South Bay cali?
Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Function > Form

Yes, on EPHatch but I don't know the status of that site ATM...
Old 03-16-2010, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mary said it should be up within the next 48 hrs.

Some other threads:

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...ghlight=killer

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66643
Old 03-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, pls let me know when that site is up and running
Old 03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

VTec Killer threads:
http://www.k20a.org/forum/search.php?searchid=1896257
Old 03-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you get the a2 cams from the dealer? also, some guy from a local car meet told me that if I wanted to obtain hp close to the DC5, i would need forged rods and pistons.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i know this could be wierd to ask as well is it possible to use upgraded stg 2 A2 cams on the A3 with upgraded valvetrain? just curious
Old 03-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by prox.
can you get the a2 cams from the dealer? also, some guy from a local car meet told me that if I wanted to obtain hp close to the DC5, i would need forged rods and pistons.
No, that would not be necessary but you could if you wanted to. This set up isn't really the ideal set up for high horse power and if you don't have much know how about your car it's prolly not the best idea to do to your car...

Originally Posted by amnbassist
hey i know this could be wierd to ask as well is it possible to use upgraded stg 2 A2 cams on the A3 with upgraded valvetrain? just curious
More than likely no due to fitment issues despite doing the rocker mod...
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what if you incorperate a k24a1 head with all this? Was wondering what knid of numbers to expect because I happen to have a2 cams/ valve springs and a k24a1 head, and a buddy of mine wants buy them.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:52 AM
Function > Form

I believe the K24a1 head is better flowing than the a3 head, so that should help with numbers. From what I have seen, most people are hitting around the 200whp mark. Look around some more and see what you find.
Old 05-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, i'm hearing the K24a1 head is drive by wire set-up, in other words, electronic Throttling. if i did a K24a1 head on a k20a3, will it still be a drive by wire set-up or will i be able to use the cable set-up the k20's use? sorry to thread jack, but i'm trying to get all the info i can b4 i go out swapping things into my 94Ls
Old 06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im actually running this set up with an a1 head vtec killer setup and made 195 or 197hp and 147 tq

Mod list:
AEM CAI
Hondata IMG
PRC Mani
Skunk2 catback
BCRH exhaust
K-poo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxiH0Yhqrg
Old 06-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

QUESTION!?

can you swap the a2 cams into an a3 WITHOUT converting the intake rockers to a "vtec killer" setup?

in my head, this works just like a stock a3 setup. only having larger cam profiles on the intake, and the "vtec killer" setup on the exhaust..
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure u would need the a2 rockers, springs and retainers
Old 06-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

op......probly need to run the prb ecu as well so you can read the third lobe
Old 06-04-2010, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was figuring he had kpro
Old 06-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Onasty
i was figuring he had kpro
i do
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HELP HELP HELP HELP I NEED HELP
Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

help help help!!!!!!!!

own a 02 civic si 79k. recenly one of my lob from my exhaust side got chew out pretty good, is pretty commond on this car.
what i did is, i swap out the rocker army assembly with cam and exhaust sensor from k2oz1, plus cam shaft. when i put everything back on,torque everything, check timing seem pretty good, from my eye view, cause these engine kinda tell on the side so yea. i did rota the engine before i start may sure that the timing still on place, as of now i dont have k-pro yet just my oem ecu. but when i first started it ran for 5s. under 1rpm, ran rought like is chocking, kinda like is starting for fuel. after five s, the car die. now it cranks over but no start, plug in obd2 reader no code either. what i didn't do yet, recheck compression, timing, all the **** i do, will do it later after work. but anyone had any ideas. hope i dont bend a valve. not too familiar with the k family, but b family.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you used the k20z1 cam then you need kpro... but thats the least of it, you will also need the k20z1 cam on the intake side too.

Theres alot of information in this thread to help you do a vteckiller set up, but the way you have it right now wont work.

I suggest you either get kpro and the rest of the items you need for vtec killer OR get another exhaust a3 cam and the rocker assembly and reinstall that into your a3.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

igr8ep3---shoutta explain more clearly...i used the whole rocker arm assembly from k20z1, that include intake, and exhaust side, plus camshaft, yes vtec killer is a cheaper routs. mind is kinda like the routs that coast more $. in my cause you will have to buy the whole rocker arms assembly...which is not cheap....mind setup kinda works like the a2 so i dont always run on vtec lob. well anyways i got mine work to started...what i forgot to do is, adjust the valve clearean....valve is too tight. after adjustment, it started right up.....but i didn't take it for a drive cause i know is too raisky,...kpro on order just went and drop of my ecu two days ago at post office.....burns big hoe in my wallet.....

poorman ep3 that what i call mine

Last edited by koulee2007; 08-30-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: stock ep3 with a2 cams quastion