Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 02:38 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (eurodeseo)

i drove RSX think its slow ,i got to see that 14.3
Old 07-25-2001, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (fitzuni)

Did you read that entire thread? Near the middle you find out the car was a "demo" car that had 8k miles on it. Seems kinda fishy.
Old 07-25-2001, 03:15 PM
New User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (red97gsr)

I think you all missed the point except for one person. The ITR wasn't built for straight line performance and the RSX-S wasn't either. With as much horsepower and the same weight as a 3G ITR plus a 6 speed it was designed as a road racer. How many 3G ITR's do you see at the track compared to Civics?
Old 07-25-2001, 05:10 PM
New User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (GS-Racer)

The RSX has a flash upgradeable ECU. Honda screwed the program up 2days before shipping. Honda has released a new program that makes the car run a LOT stronger.

So if you drove the car before the car was flashed with the new code (like I did at first) it will feel like a 15.8 sec car that wants to stall off the line.

Also... if you own the car and it feels slow... Go to the service department and ask them to make sure it has the newest code.

I am very surprised that this hasn’t been brought up already. Doesn’t anyone have friends in the service department?

Ermax
Old 07-25-2001, 09:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (typer_801)

The RSX *IS* an Integra. The only place in the world it's not called "Integra" is here in North America. And for the record, all previous generation Integra's were all based on Civic platforms as well.

The RSX is NOT a integra. It is an RSX. A new body style, new interior, new drivetrain, new suspension(civic). If it was an integra, it would be called a integra here like it is in japan! Call it what it is.
Damn it! If Acura/Honda intended for it to be called an integra here, it would have been!
It wasn't and therefore it ISN'T a integra. It is a "RSX" It may be an integra in japan, it may be the next generation of the integra, but it *IS* called a "RSX". How hard is this for some people?
Tell me, what does the window sticker say? "RSX" right? NOT integra.
What will the insurance company call it? Certainly not an Integra right?
Call it what it IS!
A "RSX"
I am not arguing that it is a new gen integra, I am just arguing that you should refer to it as what it is. After all, do you call the previous versions of the integra a "Honda integra?" because guess what? Thats what the are in japan!
Old 07-26-2001, 10:20 AM
Trial User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (chefcris420)

I think you all missed the point except for one person. The ITR wasn't built for straight line performance and the RSX-S wasn't either. With as much horsepower and the same weight as a 3G ITR plus a 6 speed it was designed as a road racer. How many 3G ITR's do you see at the track compared to Civics?

Same weight as the 3G ITR? The 3G ITR weighs around the low 2500 mark. The RSX is around the 2600-2700, no?

That's a significant difference. Now the 4G ITR is probably the same as the 3G ITR.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (R748)

R748 - curb weight of the current US IT-R is 2600lbs.
Old 07-26-2001, 01:39 PM
New User

The power is more linear man... that's why it feels slower.
14.3 is hella quick... it definitely deserves some respect for a being bone stock.

I got my money on the new R doing 13's outta the box
Old 07-26-2001, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (ThePunk)

ThePunk: Whoa..calm down man. People are basically saying teh RSX is an Integra..and thats what it is..an Integra with a different name..right?

Its like saying...the Dodge Neon is differnet then the Plymouth Neon...cause one is Dodge and one is Plymouth?!

Ot like some European cars...here its a Cadilac and there its an Opel..different name..same ****.
Old 07-26-2001, 06:15 PM
Trial User

R748 - curb weight of the current US IT-R is 2600lbs.
Are you sure about this? My 98R without A/C with about 1/2 tank of gas weighed in around the 253X lbs mark. The car is stock and was measured at a two different places.

I remember reading that it was in the 25XX lbs range ..hmm....

[Modified by R748, 7:16 PM 7/26/2001]
Old 07-26-2001, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (R748)

I'm 99% sure, at least as far as the 2000-2001 models are concerned. 25xxlbs sounds about right w/o AC though.
Old 07-27-2001, 12:22 PM
e
New User

WHEN THEY BRING THE RSX TYPE "R" FOR RACING NOT "S" FOR SPORT THEN I WILL GO DOWN AND BE THE FIRST TO TRADE MY ITR FOR ONE,UNTIL THEN THERE NO COMPARISON,ONLY W/THE GSR,AND IT IS AN UPGRADE WHEN COMPARED ONLY W/THIS CAR;PERFOMANCE HANDLING ETC,
THEN AND ONLY THEN WE CAN TALK ABOUT THE NUMBERS THE RSX TYPE R PUT OUT AND HOW MUCH OF AN IMPROVEMENT IT IS OVER THE ITR;just my opinion as a ITR driver
Old 07-28-2001, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm 99% sure, at least as far as the 2000-2001 models are concerned. 25xxlbs sounds about right w/o AC though.
I agree with the 25XXlbs....but how much does an AC weigh? Sorry for the stupid question but does the fan and compressor weigh more than 100lbs? That doesn't sound right.
Old 07-28-2001, 03:32 PM
New User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (StolenSi)

I dougbt every single RSX-S can run 14.3 sec in the 1/4 mile. It's like when ITR owners say they run 14.5 bone stock. NOT EVERY single ITR can run 14.5 in the 1/4 mile!! Even when comparing "identical" cars, one might have a stronger engine than the other! We are just going to have to wait and see how many people can actually get 14.3 sec in the 1/4 mile with a STOCK RSX. I am sure the RSX can run high 14's, but low 14's, ummmm....... I don't think so! Just think about it and be realistic! Also, I rally do not care how fast they are and if they are faster than my GSR because they do not come in 4 doors like my GSR! I love the 4 doors. Everyone always tells me how good and classy my car looks. I also love to spank coupes woth my 4 door with no VTEC badge, heheehh sneaky!!
Old 07-29-2001, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (Ermax)

Ermax: I work for Acura and yes Honda did give us the update to program the ECUs. We did it to all the RSX while we PDIed them, so now RSX went on the lot without the new update....but im sure not all dealers did this....so its possible some people test drove them before the ECU was updated.
Old 07-30-2001, 05:26 PM
New User

Godamn, i was so dissapointed when I test drove the new RSX Type-S today at the Acura dealer. It felt much slower than the car I have right now. I expected a whole lot more, but when VTEC-i hit, I didn't feel the rush that I feel in my car right now.

I'm having a real hard time believing a stock RSX-S ran a 14.34 in th 1/4 mile. The car felt like a mid 15 car. I gotta see it to believe it.

Really dissapointed with the New RSX Type-S...
I keep on hearing people say this, and my response is, the word is FEELS like. It FEELS slower.
When you can't hear the noise of the engine, or feel every little bump in the road, compared to your GSR, the car is GOING to feel slower. Stock-for-stock, I found that the RSX-S could outcorner the GSR no problems (aftermarket suspensions of course, change the picture). All of us used to driving an Integra can tell our speed just by the road noise, the road feel, and the whine of the engine. The RSX-S doesn't have this, and therefore, the car feels slower, but isn't.
One of the biggest complaints about the Integra was it's road noise at high speed. Acura listens to the complaints, fixes it, and now everyone's upset that it just doesn't feel as fast as their old car, though it's actually faster.
I love my GSR. But I think a lot of people that are dissing the RSX-S either haven't driven it/seen it up close (it doesn't look as good on paper as it does up close), or are basing things mostly on feel (if they have driven it) and not what the speedo/tach, and other cars around them should indicate. I think when enough RSX-S's are on the street and there's a few more out there racing too, that people will see how they are easily a match for the current Integras.
Old 07-30-2001, 11:08 PM
ITR.00-1282

who cares what it's called???? rsx, integra, civic, nsx, s2000, rx7 skylike gtr v-spec, silvia, civic type r, silvia s15.674826485945945 who cares? dammit i need to take a **** later. oh yeah did you know that old motor oil can be used to fertilize your lawn?
Old 08-02-2001, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the 25XXlbs....but how much does an AC weigh? Sorry for the stupid question but does the fan and compressor weigh more than 100lbs? That doesn't sound right.

As for weight....3 weeks ago, I sat in my 1998 R with spare tire, 3/4 tank of gas & stock wheels/tires. Total weight 2742 - myweight200 = 2542. Oh yea, I have air-conditioning!

The scales were at Heartland Park-Topeka used for all road racing vehicles as part of their pre-race inspections.

Hope that helps for discussion.

[Modified by BudMan, 4:05 PM 8/2/2001]
Old 08-04-2001, 06:29 PM
Trial User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (BudMan)

So, to summarize most ITRs should be in the 25XX lb category. That's still quite a bit lighter than the 2767 lbs listed for the Type-S.

Old 08-05-2001, 01:00 AM
Trial User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock!

I Had a great chance to run against a RSX-S tonite. Arctic Blue, with about just over 1400kms on it. The guy driving it was pretty cool too, he has been in the racing scene for a while apparantely.
Anyways, we had a straight and a series of turns. On the straight, we both got a great launch, and I had him by about 3/4 car lengths or so by the middle of third.

I was surprised how well it handles on the turns; as I was in front of him, I found it hard to PULL away from him, although I had no problems keeping him at bay. I did notice though that I was taking the tighter turns a LOT faster(he would lag by a bit).

Anyways, all in all, a great car. I am considering trading my ITR in for an RSX-R if it ever comes to our shores.
Old 08-05-2001, 02:21 PM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (jonnyR)

i bet it isn't a type S , but a TYPE R engine in it...cause they've said that its should run this
Old 08-06-2001, 02:27 PM
New User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (ThePunk)

why does everyone get a woody everytime a HONDA does 14.34 seconds...is that a measure of how good the car is...the s2000 is capable of 4.9 seconds 0-60 but you don't hear s2000 owners jibber jabbering about this...??? Why do so many act like a car company never produced a car that can go fast in a straight line before??? 6 second 0-60 is not exactly super car status nor does it have any supercar amenities...The mustang GT is capable of better times and can whoop an RSX or any honda around a race track but no one gets a woody over that...
Old 08-06-2001, 02:32 PM
New User

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (jayson roman)

would a 360 modena owner that has to wait a year for his car get a woody over a corvette Z06 owner's car, just cuz it's the fastest in a straight line...???
Old 08-06-2001, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock! (jayson roman)

why does everyone get a woody everytime a HONDA does 14.34 seconds...is that a measure of how good the car is...the s2000 is capable of 4.9 seconds 0-60 but you don't hear s2000 owners jibber jabbering about this...??? Why do so many act like a car company never produced a car that can go fast in a straight line before??? 6 second 0-60 is not exactly super car status nor does it have any supercar amenities...The mustang GT is capable of better times and can whoop an RSX or any honda around a race track but no one gets a woody over that...
Geez...relax...the reason people are excited at the 1/4 mile and 0-60 numbers are because first, they are general numbers that you can get an idea of the car's performance. Second, we all know that that isn't what makes a car great, but before it came out, there was so much speculation about the RSX-S and how it has gained weight and how it may have lost a little performance to be more upscale and luxurious than the previous Teg. And most people still just do a simple generic power/weight ratio comparison and don't believe that the RSX can be that fast. Also, many people still are using the butt dyno and don't believe that it is even as fast as the 3rd gen Teg because it didn't "feel" as fast in their testdrive. I started this post just because I found that other post and wanted people to see that Honda/Acura really didn't 'castrate' the Teg/RSX in this new iteration. Just a word of advice (not flaming), you're kind of new here, so don't quickly assume things about everyone or else you'll get flamed pretty quick.

And yes, I have seen the S2000 guys 'jibber, jabber' over their 0-60 times. I've been lurking on that board for over a year now.
Old 08-07-2001, 10:56 AM
New User

i wasn't flaming anyone cuz i own a honda myself...but i mean we all got to face it...straight line speed is SWEET, but that isn't the true measure of a car...granted im new to this site, but im thinking it's better to be humble about all of this than challenge everything modded and stock out there on the road...im pretty sure a modded stang(i am not a supporter of the stang, but it's power is undeniable), can beat a stock porsche or ferrari in a straight line with enough money. but all in all many would rather get a stock ferrari over a stang....Honda is the best 4 cylinder maker in the world when it comes to power output Naturally Aspirated, but one can assume that they have pretty much reached their limit by now....look at how much the s2k cost and how it is set up, it's a two seater, no roof, very small and light weight. look at the NSX and how much it cost...s2k is probably the better of the two...power-output/money-wise. im just saying to talk smack makes us look very bad and to be too cocky also makes Honda owners look bad...so what an rsx can get those times...a cheaper stang can do that too and maybe better...

Quick Reply: RSX Type S runs a 14.34 at 97mph bonestock!