Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Problems with lowering my 2002 EP3 ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with lowering my 2002 EP3 ...

PLEASE HELP!!!

I had my EP3 lowered a couple weeks ago with Rokkor coil overs (for EP3 of course) and now it's making a popping noise at LOW SPEED turns (The exact sound sounds like a echoy-thud)-- I have Googled this and saw that some people have had similar problems and the solutions dealt with the strut tower mostly...

But a good mechanic shop told me yesterday that they are almost 100% sure that I need new lower control arm assemblies (the entire kits/assemblies, not just the arms) ... They told me that the lowering made the "wear" more noticeable...

Also, my tie rod ends and upper shock strut mounts are wearing down, but I highly doubt that those are the culprit of the popping sound.... right?

What do you guys think? .... ALSO: Can you guys tell me how low you think my car is? It doesn't even look that low, right?!

Here is a pic of how low it is ... And a picture of the exact part I was told that will fix the problem (part number 51350S5TA01 numbers 9-16)....

Last edited by osuna1313; 11-04-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Problems with lowering my 2002 EP3 ...

If it only happens on turns that's definitely the springs moving along the hats they sit on. Nothing you can do other than putting some grease on them. My RSX did this when I lowered it. It's not gonna hurt anything, can be kind of annoying though.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info staycold,

I think you are right... It seems like it's an issue isolated to only the installed springs. I think most mechanics are going to tell me it's other stuff (ie. lca, tie rod outters, bushings etc.) and they are probably not wrong because the other stuff may be exacerbating the knocking noise.... I still hate it though, and I'm going to do a thorough check on Monday with a shop that will actually "open" it up and find the culprit....
Old 11-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by osuna1313
Thanks for the info staycold,

I think you are right... It seems like it's an issue isolated to only the installed springs. I think most mechanics are going to tell me it's other stuff (ie. lca, tie rod outters, bushings etc.) and they are probably not wrong because the other stuff may be exacerbating the knocking noise.... I still hate it though, and I'm going to do a thorough check on Monday with a shop that will actually "open" it up and find the culprit....
Pop your wheels off and just grease the springs down real good with some kind of mechanical lubricant that is waterproof. That's what I did with my RSX and after a while it just quit. You gotta give the springs some time to break in.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So...you guys are saying that popping noises are normal...and that you should just live with them?

Rokkor coilovers...... :facepalm:
Old 11-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B serious
So...you guys are saying that popping noises are normal...and that you should just live with them?

Unfortunately I started having the same issue after running Racelands for a few weeks.... same as Rokkor... I cant believe I listened to my buddy and put this crap on my car.. I was running lowered on Tokicos and Vogtlands with no issues until I ran this crap on my car for two weeks... Its junk man take it off... I dont even wanna resell this junk to get some money back... I wouldn't be able to know I sold this crap to someone...Garbage can .... If you still have the 30 day return send this junk back... BTW my EP3 is the same as yours ... with the stock 15s...
Old 11-10-2014, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have not had a problem like this on my racelands....possibly cuz i had newer tophats installed

Last edited by slowDB7; 11-11-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowDB7
Have not had a problem like his on my racelands....possibly cuz i had newer tophats installed
OH wow,

Everything was replaced I may be a newb, but not that big of a newb.... BTW the Racelands messed it up so much... that new shocks and all new top mounts... and the issue is still there... keep in mind I ran on the Vogtlands with Dspesc for 3 years before that... If you'd like I will sell you the brand new Racelands for $ 150+ shipping....

P.S.

Don't get me wrong slowDB7, but Raceland is a POS that will cost me a few thousand probably....
Old 11-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is normal dude. Issues like this are to be expected with cheaper brands.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Valter....yeah, i know they are junk. Was in a pinch for new shocks so i picked them up after my first set of cxracing coils didnt fit.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why do people always cheap out with suspension for??? still don't get it till this day!
Old 11-11-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by staycoldB
It is normal dude. Issues like this are to be expected with cheaper brands.
That's my point.....

It's normal if you buy garbage and/or the install is incorrect. It's hard to diagnose noises on the internet. OP should inspect the car or have it inspected.

My shitty chair makes a weird knocking noise. Any way y'all can LMK? LMK!!

JK. I would never buy a shitty chair.

Tips for what may be wrong with the car:
-It's probably too low for that suspension.
-EP3's don't do well when they're that low without a lot of supporting mods.
-Your spring rotates when you turn the wheels. Do you have a loose top mount or a binding spring?
-How are your sway bar links?
-How are your bushings?
Old 11-11-2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by DaveSi677
why do people always cheap out with suspension for??? still don't get it till this day!
Because cheap stuff is cheaper than decent stuff. Plus mods for a car are a necessity! I can't afford the good stuff. So what I'm finna do?! Leave a perfectly good stock suspension on the car and save my money for something worthwhile?!! Nope.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah all you guys are right for the most part. I made the stupid-*** decision of getting cheap *** coil overs. I had mechanic take a good look at it and he said the same thing: That the springs are cheap and that he can move them with his hand when he looked at them, and that's not supposed to happen he said.

I am totally down for spending money for some good springs, BUT I have also heard that people have my same problem with $1,200 Eibachs and Teins... Sooo, I guess buying awesome springs might not have a 100% guarantee of fixing problem, right?

Jesus, maybe I should just go back to stock height.

Will Rokkors be cool at stock height? They are at least better than my old 10 year old stock springs at least if they were to be used at stock height... Right?
Old 11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read this... I have and its very good... will make your head spin though...

https://honda-tech.com/acura-rsx-dc5...clime-2639666/
Old 11-12-2014, 05:32 PM

Yeah all you guys are right for the most part. I made the stupid-*** decision of getting cheap *** coil overs. I had mechanic take a good look at it and he said the same thing: That the springs are cheap and that he can move them with his hand when he looked at them, and that's not supposed to happen he said.

I am totally down for spending money for some good springs, BUT I have also heard that people have my same problem with $1,200 Eibachs and Teins... Sooo, I guess buying awesome springs might not have a 100% guarantee of fixing problem, right?

Jesus, maybe I should just go back to stock height.

Will Rokkors be cool at stock height? They are at least better than my old 10 year old stock springs at least if they were to be used at stock height... Right?

Spin them up to higher and find out. I wouldn't jack it all the way up to stock height. Just raise it so the springs have a little preload on them.

Don't go low enough for the springs to be loose. You lowered it too much if the springs are loose

There's an Eibach kit for $1200? I don't think people have any problems with properly installed, decent quality coilovers. I'm sure a set of $10,000 Penske's would make noise if I installed them incorrectly.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowDB7
Valter....yeah, i know they are junk. Was in a pinch for new shocks so i picked them up after my first set of cxracing coils didnt fit.
slowDB7 I know exactly how that feels... That is the reason i got that junk on there too....
Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's my point.....

It's normal if you buy garbage and/or the install is incorrect. It's hard to diagnose noises on the internet. OP should inspect the car or have it inspected.

My shitty chair makes a weird knocking noise. Any way y'all can LMK? LMK!!

JK. I would never buy a shitty chair.

Tips for what may be wrong with the car:
-It's probably too low for that suspension.
-EP3's don't do well when they're that low without a lot of supporting mods.
-Your spring rotates when you turn the wheels. Do you have a loose top mount or a binding spring?
-How are your sway bar links?
-How are your bushings?
I lowered my car with Skunk2 springs and it did the same exact thing. I tried everything to get it to stop and the only thing that ever helped was greasing the top of the springs with some industrial grease. But it would still happen from time to time. Skunk2's aren't the best bet they're not absolute **** either. Regardless, it never hurt anything, was just kind of annoying is all.

Last edited by staycoldB; 11-16-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check this thread out OP: Popping noise after lowered car - Club RSX Message Board
Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP here,

Surprisingly, the popping noise has decreased A LITTLE. It is not gone by any means, but the sound has become softer.

Haven't had a chance to have it raised a little with some grease added, but I'm guessing with that combination, I should be good to go.
Old 12-01-2014, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP here,

Surprisingly, the popping noise has decreased A LITTLE. It is not gone by any means, but the sound has become softer.

Haven't had a chance to have it raised a little with some grease added, but I'm guessing with that combination, I should be good to go.
Good to hear man!
Old 12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometime the sway bar links go bad and you hear a knocking noises in frt and back. Has the car every seen salt or snow?