Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R?

Here's the situation. I want to buy a new ride. I've looked at all the Type R's for sale 300 miles from where I live. I've also test driven an RSX Type S. I'm not sure which car is faster (the type R feels a little quicker and the vtec screams while the RSX is a little more civilized). I can't decide which car I want to get. One one side with the Type S I get: a new car, factory warranty, nicer interior (cool seats!), six speed, a little more luxurious ride. On the other hand there is the type r: It's quicker, I like the way it handles and steers better than the type s, looks a little cooler, and is not as common as an RSX.

I can get a good price on the 04 RSX with a trade in and I get rid of my car quick. I can also get the Teg for 17,500 but I'd be stuck with my other car ('00 Stang) until it is sold (hard to sell :/)

I was wondering if some of you guys could help me out with some questions.

1. How difficult would it be to modify the Type S's suspension so that it handles more like a Type R? Are there any good kits or upgrades that you could recommend?

2. How strong is the aftermarket for the RSX compared to the Integras?

3. Which car would you get?

I mostly want to learn a little more about the RSX since I am leaning more toward that option since for me it is very important for the car to be reliable, but I would also like to get some opinions. Thanks
Old 03-01-2004, 07:57 PM

Here's a plus, the K-series have been showing tons of potential. Hey, it's only common sense that a company would improve as new stuff comes out.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: (CRXracer89)

Go with the r. but thats just my 02.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (vteckiller)

I...T...R
Old 03-01-2004, 08:41 PM

Default Re: (iam7head)

DC2R but now if the DC5R or the EP3R ever does make it to the states then my opinion may change
Old 03-01-2004, 08:42 PM

Default Re: (Team)

it really only comes down to your preference and what u feel like drivin in..
Old 03-01-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id go for the R, but id be so scared it would get jacked for parts
Old 03-01-2004, 10:47 PM

i like tha itr. its older model and all, but its F A S TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 PM

Default Re: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R? (Lazaro)

I just sold my 00 ITR, I loved it!! <3<3 But I wanted somthing newer. The R to me, was starting to feel out dated. Not to mention the theft and insurance rates. Besides those 3 things to me, that car was a champ. I would only get one for strict auto x use. Best of luck. -Shawn

...If you can get the best of both worlds and go to http://www.evolutionimports.com and imprt a DC5-R<3<3<3
Old 03-02-2004, 02:03 AM
Banned

Default Re: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R? (Shawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just sold my 00 ITR, I loved it!! &lt;3&lt;3 But I wanted somthing newer. The R to me, was starting to feel out dated. Not to mention the theft and insurance rates. Besides those 3 things to me, that car was a champ. I would only get one for strict auto x use. Best of luck. -Shawn

...If you can get the best of both worlds and go to http://www.evolutionimports.com and imprt a DC5-R&lt;3&lt;3&lt;3</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dunno if it was through them but I have seen 3 DIFFERENT 03 ITRs around my place (orange county..) because.. holy cow.. your spidey senses just tingle when a crazy car like that comes within viewing range.. I've seen 2 whites and a silver.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R? (^jefs0ng)

I say find out which one will be cheaper for you with insurance and go with that one.

The S is a good car once you add I/H/E. Plus you have AC.
The R is a Fast car right out of dealer, looks good and handles great.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

if it were me i would choose the type r. i have owned two in the past and it is an unbelievable car.
i have since wanted another and was not able to find one up to my standards, so my friend at the acura dealership let me borrow a type s for the weekend to see if i liked it.
the type s is a very capable car with a very solid chasis and a great new motor with lots of potential. however, it is a more refined car, not as raw as the R. i personally prefered the r because of that reason, now if we were to get a dc5 r over here my opinion would probably change.

so i bought the next best thing to a type r.
i bought a 2000 s2k.
i highly recommend this car if you are not concerned about carrying much and you are looking for a 9000 rpm redline and rwd fun.

also, it is easier to find an un molested s2k, with fewer miles and no mods. and they are less likely to be stolen....

Old 03-02-2004, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R? (cmdr430)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cmdr430 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if it were me i would choose the type r. i have owned two in the past and it is an unbelievable car.
i have since wanted another and was not able to find one up to my standards, so my friend at the acura dealership let me borrow a type s for the weekend to see if i liked it.
the type s is a very capable car with a very solid chasis and a great new motor with lots of potential. however, it is a more refined car, not as raw as the R. i personally prefered the r because of that reason, now if we were to get a dc5 r over here my opinion would probably change.

so i bought the next best thing to a type r.
i bought a 2000 s2k.
i highly recommend this car if you are not concerned about carrying much and you are looking for a 9000 rpm redline and rwd fun.

also, it is easier to find an un molested s2k, with fewer miles and no mods. and they are less likely to be stolen....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

owning the itr would be cool, but gettin jacked and having to watch ur *** alot woudnt be fun at all. the rsx is a cool car, lots of potential. aftermarket support is getting better everyday. but owning the s2k would be hot
Old 03-02-2004, 06:20 AM

I also thought about the s2000, but it's not practical enough (for me at least) to be my daily driver. I'm liking the RSX more every day, but the ITR is sexy. Also, the ITR has more lows than highs (a couple of you mentioned the higher insurance and theft rate).

If I lower the RSX by about 1-1.5 inches will I notice the difference? and will I have to modify anything else to ensure that my tires wear evenly?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Lazaro)

im not sure what you mean by noticing a difference. it all depends on the springs, or coilovers you get. i.e. do you mean stiffness or quality of ride etc...
as far as the 1 to 1.5 inch drop you should be ok with tire wear. i normally rotate my tires with every oil change. so that should prolong the tire life.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Lazaro)

1-1.5" shouldnt be that bad, stock wheel gap is HUGE

also you will need a rear camber kit to make the tires wear evenly, front kit is not necessary with a conservative drop. you will also need aftermarket strut inserts in the future

i have 65k miles on my car with stock struts and the gc's (with ground controls i have a 1 finger gap), i anticipate changing that soon, the ride sucks ***** now
Old 03-02-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lazaro &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. How difficult would it be to modify the Type S's suspension so that it handles more like a Type R? Are there any good kits or upgrades that you could recommend?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well in this situation you could always go with a complete coilover system like the Tein Flex. I went this route and it handles amazing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
2. How strong is the aftermarket for the RSX compared to the Integras?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the aftermarket for this car is growing very strong. With simple bolt ons you can reach around 198-200. If you get the basic bolt on such as intake and exhaust and add in a race header and hondata you will reach around 216whp. Toda has a kit with puts you around 240whp, hytechs kits puts you around 263whp. And this is all motor. With a turbo kit you can reach around 350-400 whp. This car is a beast once you start modifying it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3. Which car would you get?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well I like both cars, but thefts have made owning one more of a hassle then a joy. I drive my brothers R when I want, but if we go anywhere we go in my type S.
And if you check the forums alot of R owners are getting rid of thier b18c5 motors for k20(rsx) motors. There is more potential in the k series motors and and it take less cash to reach more hp. In the end it is your decision bro. Good luck.
Either way you go you will still get a good car.

I mostly want to learn a little more about the RSX since I am leaning more toward that option since for me it is very important for the car to be reliable, but I would also like to get some opinions. Thanks [/QUOTE]
Old 03-02-2004, 07:26 AM

Let me preface this by saying that you really can't go wrong with either! I was in the same boat a few years ago. I was looking to buy either a ITR or a RSX-S. I went with the RSX. Why?

This is why I went with the RSX:
1. It's something new--especially at the time. This shouldn't really be a concern (and logically it isn't) but there is something that is hard to express in words about buying a brand new car, especially one that just came out.

2. Couldn't find a nice ITR within an acceptable distance. The ITR rocks. However, it's really hard to find a good candidate within a reasonable amount of time. I also didn’t want to deal with any maintenance issues—something which is always a gamble with used cars—even though Hondas are Hondas.

3. Refinement. This isn't really a huge issue with, as my civic didn't have carpet, back seats, roof liner, A/C, PS...you get the picture. That said, I was very impressed with the level of refinement in the RSX compared to the DC2s. It's really a night and day difference.

4. The car is pretty quick stock. It has a very decent suspension (once you replace the torture causing stock tires!!!!!). For as far as the B series has gone, the K series has a ton more potential.

Reasons why I would get an ITR.

1. It’s an “R”. This in itself says a lot. When Honda badges something with a red R, there is something behind the name.

2. A plethora of inexpensive tuning options. You can get sooooo many new parts at good prices. Also, since that platform has been out for a while, you can get good deals on used stuff. You can spend $1500 on engine mods and run low low 13’s, no problem.

3. It handles excellently out of the box. You need to do very little to this car, in terms of suspension. (Unless you’re a track *****)

4. It would be a bit cheaper—since it’s used.

It all comes down to personal preference, financial considerations, and the such. Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Old 03-02-2004, 12:15 PM

Default Re: (kseriesDC5)

i agree with ksersiesDC5. you have to live with what you decide to buy.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (317)

get a ITR....better looks, alot more rare.....and dang.....its a type-r....out of the factory boy racer.....the acura rsx type-s is a cool car and all, great looks and sound.....but the itr is just a pimptastic ride!
Old 03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (simann)

It's really a matter of personal preference, but I will always love the ITR since being exposed to 98psi itr's.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jaydub)

R owns
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Darryl Musashi)

I would pick the R over the S anyday
Old 03-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd keep the Mustang.

But if you really have even a little trouble choosing between an RSX and an ITR, the ITR is not the car for you.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:27 PM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R? (doosu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doosu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
But if you really have even a little trouble choosing between an RSX and an ITR, the ITR is not the car for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>
fully agree

Quick Reply: New Ride: 2004 RSX Type S or 2000 Integra Type R?