Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

looking into buying an rsx-s. Whats the difference between the rsx, rsx-s, and the rsx Aspec?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking into buying an rsx-s. Whats the difference between the rsx, rsx-s, and the rsx Aspec?

well im looking to buy a car in the rsx family, but still not to certain if its a good choice or not. i want some power and luxury, and i dont know if its a good choice. (give some advice pleaseeee ) thank you

pics would be good to (your car or rsx's)

akademiks5686@netscape.net (tell me if you sent a pic cause i barly look)
Old 09-12-2004, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: looking into buying an rsx-s. Whats the difference between the rsx, rsx-s, and the rsx Aspec? (a

well. here's my breakdown.

the base rsx rates at 160, same as the Si, more in terms of economy.

an rsx type-s, is more of a performance car. power and handling

the a-spec, is more like an hfp(honda factory performance) civic. optional items, but asking more for less than what you get. ie. exterior & interior cosmetics.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Re: looking into buying an rsx-s. Whats the difference between the rsx, rsx-s, and the rsx Aspec? (a

many people will tell you that if you are looking for performance the extra money for the Type S is worth it. IMO the A-SPEC is a waste of 5500 (that's what i saw it marked as at the dealer) The A-SPEC option wasn't available when i purchased my car but im sure you could easily find nicer rims, a better suspension package, and a lip kit for less than that.
Old 09-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IF you have the money go for the Type-S. There is a huge difference. You should go test drive both and you'll see what i mean. The A-spec is not worth it.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:59 AM

Default Re: (al4t1gbundy)

Unless you just have alot of $$$$$ to throw around the A-Spec package is useless.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dwnshft02)

Get a type-s. Though remember its 6-Speed only. Also insurance is high on the type-s, not sure about the base.

pic of my car
Old 09-14-2004, 09:59 PM

insurance is jsut high on acura in genreal.

The Type-S is indeed worth it though. If you like to drive, it's a great car. The market is still new for parts but there are already so many to choose from.

A-Spec, not worth it, even if you got the A-spec, and if you're a tuner or want to be, you'll end up swapping out 50-75% of the a-spec package down the line for better performance upgrades.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:55 PM

Just another person agreeing the a-spec is not worth the price.Also 05 type s ecu cannot be reflashed by hondata so you may be lacking in upgrades if you are looking to go that way.Im happier with a older model right now i saved a few thousand and can upgrade with a bit more ease.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:36 AM

get the s. the base is no slouch, but it lacks the kick in the upper RPMs
Old 09-16-2004, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only people that will tell you the a-spec package is worthless are the people that don't own one...

for the money, the parts, the warranty, and the benifits, its not a bad deal at all...

good rims / good tires
nice looking lip kit
matched suspension pieces
interior trim

not to mention the fact that these parts can be added to your finance package so you pay dollars a month for it.

also, if my car gets messed up, insurance pays full value for my modifications... not all insurance companies will do that with yours...

another thing to remember is that aftermarket parts decrease in value dramatically when you install them... when you go to sell the car, you can't get anything for them. with factory installed parts (like aspec / fp), the mods hold value in relation to the car... your eibachs woln't...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/arctic04s
Old 09-16-2004, 07:35 PM

Default Re: (Arctic04S)

I love my Pearl white A-spec. How many do you think were sold?
Old 09-17-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: (K20A2A-spec)

not to hijack this thread but, you are all saying the base model rsx is not worth it??? im j/w because ive been eyeing it lately and i thought w/ the money i save from buying a type-S i could add some springs, cai, wheels, and maybe an exhuast. sorry if im wrong but im just curious. oh and also do you think its good as a first car?? as far and reliabilty, insurance. again sorry to hijack this thread
Old 09-17-2004, 01:52 PM
Meat Robot Invisible

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Squallie)

Still prolly won't get 200+ HP out of your base as compared to an S. Better off saving up some more for a type-S, all the extras you get especially the 6th gear are worth it.

As for the A-spec issue, personally I wouldn't go with it, but only because I want to pick my suspension/rims/tires, etc. Therefore I dont want Acura just slapping on some new parts and putting on an extra 6000$ (Canada here). Yes the peace of mind is worth it, but quite frankly if I'm buying an RSX type-S...I'm not buying it for the peace of mind. And not to mention that the pricetag is overpriced. However if you liek the package and you have some extra $, then it's not a bad option.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:29 PM

Default Re: (khunt0012)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by khunt0012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Still prolly won't get 200+ HP out of your base as compared to an S. Better off saving up some more for a type-S, all the extras you get especially the 6th gear are worth it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well due to the fact that i wouldnt build it up to race or for alot of power just something to get me around while i build up my project. im talking about all around, is it a good buy for like a 2002 maybe used??
Old 09-17-2004, 10:39 PM
Meat Robot Invisible

Re-read your post, and for a first car...yah it would be pretty good. Not a huge fan of the RSXs since day 1, but it seems I'm one of the only ones, lol. Back on topic though, right now would be the perfect time to buy any RSX that's not a 2005. With the 2005s just coming out, now is a great time to jump on the lower prices on older models while the dealerships try to unload all their "old" RSXs. Insurance would prolly be a little bit of a bitch, but then I honestly couldn't tell you.

But really if you are looking for something to just "drive around while i build up my project", then an RSX is prolly overkill, unless it'll be your daily driver for awhile. Personally I drove a 5th Gen hatch for close to a year, that way I wasn't spending alot of money on a car that was just getting me around while waiting for my project car to be done.

However if you think it would be a good addition, by all means go ahead...Just make sure it's a five speed.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Kal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by khunt0012 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Not a huge fan of the RSXs since day 1, but it seems I'm one of the only ones, lol. </TD></TR></TABLE>

me too.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:53 PM

i mean eventualy ill start to mod it but right now im trying to rebuild my crx, and it wont be done for another 2 years at the rate im going so im kinda stuck between the rsx and the ep3 but im leaning toward the rsx again so so sorry to hijack this thread
Old 09-19-2004, 08:03 AM
Meat Robot Invisible

If you're not going to buy a type-S, then personally I'd suggest an EP3, however you may not like the styling. You did say you were considering it thought, but really it's all a matter of what you like. If you like the RSX and you think it makes sense financially and it will be usefull then by all means go get yourself one.

But like I said before, would it really be so bad to drive a 5th or even 6th Gen Civic hatch or coupe around, rather than go out and spend a chunk of cash on an RSX. That's just my opinion thought.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no doubt bro type S is waayy better than stock i just picked up my type S about a week ago I LOVE IT wayy fast,the Aspec is not worth the money like many said
Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (velocityracer)

If you are considering going for a base RSX, like someone mentioned before you should consider the ep3. My girl traded in her 00 Si for a 04 Si and she loves it. We also looked into getting an RSX (base & type s), of course I was pushing the type s, but price and insurance played a big part in her decision.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (velocityracer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by velocityracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no doubt bro type S is waayy better than stock i just picked up my type S about a week ago I LOVE IT wayy fast,the Aspec is not worth the money like many said </TD></TR></TABLE>

did you even DRIVE an a-spec? if you didn't, i'm not suprized by your comment.

go drive an aspec, drive your regular S, then come back and wish you had a better suspension, better rims / tires...
Old 09-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Meat Robot Invisible

Default Re: (Arctic04S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arctic04S &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

did you even DRIVE an a-spec? if you didn't, i'm not suprized by your comment.

go drive an aspec, drive your regular S, then come back and wish you had a better suspension, better rims / tires...</TD></TR></TABLE>

All this can be achieved by one's self also. It's not too hard to get get better suspension, better rims/tires, and I'm sure I could work out a better combo for cheaper. I'm not trying to put A-spec down, it's great stuff, just overpriced for what it really is.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:59 PM

I just test drove both the base and the Type S RSX. What surprised me is the Type S seemed to make a lot more mid range and usable power. Not what I expected. I thought the higher horse motor would require you to wind it out, but it was the opposite.

My opinion: I think if you are getting leather, you might as well get the Type S. If you want fabric and just want something fun to drive and dont appreciate the difference in power, you should get the base model.

About insurance. I am 23 and live in jersey. I have one claim in my life (3 years ago) and zero points from the DMV. The type S was $2062 per 6 month term and the base was $1975.35 per 6 month term. Less then $100 isnt really material to me.

Now all I gotta do is sell myself on the RSX over the Legacy GT Turbo.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: (eHoward)

Take if from me because I have owned both...even both were 05 models, if you're buying a RSX, the type-S in the only way to go. The RSX is a good car. But there is no contest between the base and the type-s. Almost 2 different cars. The type-s handles so much better. RSX owners have a saying: Type-S or nothing. And now I know firsthand why.

.....And I drove the Aspec. Crock of **** for the money.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:20 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Squallie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not to hijack this thread but, you are all saying the base model rsx is not worth it??? im j/w because ive been eyeing it lately and i thought w/ the money i save from buying a type-S i could add some springs, cai, wheels, and maybe an exhuast. sorry if im wrong but im just curious. oh and also do you think its good as a first car?? as far and reliabilty, insurance. again sorry to hijack this thread </TD></TR></TABLE>
from the money you save between the base and type-s you could get a lot more than that....turbo, wheels, suspension....either have acura give you the power and handling or do it yourself. the base is a perfect car to turbo.

Quick Reply: looking into buying an rsx-s. Whats the difference between the rsx, rsx-s, and the rsx Aspec?