Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Im confused on my choice. :(

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im confused on my choice. :(

can anyone provide some help?

Im tossed between an rsx-s and a VW gti. the gti seems to have more usable power, the 2002 models are cheaper (they go for around 20k) and the 1.8t is putting out 180 hp and a lot more torque than the rsx, and its about 400/yr cheaper to insure. but, its a vw, sqeeky, noisy, not as reliable in my opinion..

has anyone had some serious driving time in both? damn dealers let you cruise around for 10 mins ,then expect you to make a decision!

im guessing the rsx handles better, but in a race, which would prevail?

can anyone help me out!??
damn i wish i had my teg back
Old 08-27-2001, 11:10 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Leo95SE)

Leo you know what i think already.

I think the RSX-S will come out on top in a race. I cant picture you in a VW. .
The RSX has the Honda reliability behind it, and you know aftermarket is gonna follow, but knowing you, i advise you not to venture down that road again
If your gonna buy the car, i suggest the Honda.

Remember what we talked about though, it's like an integra..so you might be tempted to....you know.....

The bug will get you!!!!

[Modified by Ricehornet, 3:15 PM 8/27/2001]
Old 08-27-2001, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get the subaru wrx
Old 08-27-2001, 11:41 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (samagon)

Notice how he already made up his mind between two cars...it would probably benificial for him if replies were relavent. hehe not flaming you samagon...but i already told him that the wrx would be the fastest in that price range, though not the most refined car...the Acura will be nicer inside and overall refined compared to the scoobie IMO.

Side note- he doesnt want a scoobie.....again
it's too big i think, he's a bachelor man....sorta, he's gotta go pimipin in a 2dr.

[Modified by Ricehornet, 3:42 PM 8/27/2001]
Old 08-27-2001, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Ricehornet)

lol.. thx for the advice young grasshopper.

ya, im sorta tossed between these two cars, anything else out there, I either cant afford or am not really interested in. the wrx stil hasnt grown on me, im just not a fan.

id love some real driving opinions on the cars - or maybe someone can set me up with dealers who will let me drive.

another reason not to get the dub - sales ppl there suck. i went in to one, stood around for a while, no one even asked to help me. if im gonna spend $, at least come and hound me! sheesh.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say go with Acura reliability. Forget which one will win in a race. That shouldn't be that big a factor in your decision to buy a car. You're not going to be racing all the time. Being slower or faster by a car length here and there doesn't make a car crappy or better. Drive them both and one of them will probably appeal to you. I'm sure both are fun cars, but feel different. Look at price, reliability, and insurance cost and then you'll have your answer. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (red97gsr)

wow... an unbiased opinion!

thx a ton man.. i think your 100% right.

funny, always easier to give advice.. but when your on the receiving end, things get hard, huh?
Old 08-27-2001, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another reason not to get the dub - sales ppl there suck. i went in to one, stood around for a while, no one even asked to help me. if im gonna spend $, at least come and hound me! sheesh.
Shoot I thought I was the only one that got treated like that. If you live in NY go out to Jersey. The salespeople out there treat you like they need you, not like NY salespeople. They think you need them.

I went to the acura dealer near kings plaza saturday with my brother in law. He is looking at the RSX. I am turned off by that dealership. They want $1500 for the rear wing.

Try Linden VW if you want to look into the dub. I drive one and have had no problems.

They are both cool cars. It is a hard decision to make. VR6 should be putting out 220hp. 1.8T should be putting out 180. Change the oil every 3000 and it will last forever, be lazy and change it every 5000 and it will die. You will have torque, and I will tell you torque is fun. Boost is fun. JL audio sells the same type of hidden sub like the bose.

RSW puts out 200hp. Bose subwoofer is cool. Will last forever. Change the oil every 3000 and it will love you, change it every 5000 if you are lazy and it will still last. You will have to rev it hard.

There is an aftermarket for both of them. Both markets are strong. I have sight on both sides of this fence.

Continue to test drive the both of them until one sticks!

[Modified by StanBo, 5:31 PM 8/27/2001]
Old 08-28-2001, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I just saw a RSX-S before work it does look good (different). I mean if u can lease it for 3 years and give it back then u have nothing to lose. That'll be the cheapest way to do it. I know I hate the the Audi/VW delaer by me so I dont know--but I almost bought a GTI vr6 when I got my gs-r. (They had a wheel problem in Mexico that held up production for a few weeks) Mexico??!!!?? Yep. Anyway --Im starting to get tired of the daily squeaks and all that ****z. But for something sporty in that category - I guess those are the choices unless u want a Focus-or Civic- or Celica or hey a Camaro (lol)
Good luck
Mike
Old 08-28-2001, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (MAIN727)

thx mike..

glad everyone can provide some wise opinions..

ill keep ya updated on the test drives/etc..
Old 08-28-2001, 12:55 PM
New User

I was looking at both those cars actually. I ended up putting a deposit on the rsx type s, put then decided not to get it. Didn't get it because of theft reasons. One already got stolen around my block. Didn't want to pay an extra hundred a month for a garage when I could use that money towards another car. The reason I didn't go with the vw was b/c of handeling. It just sucks, but with the vw, you dont have to worry about theft. So my decision ended up being an IS300. Saving money on a garage it handles well and is pretty quick for a slomatic. Out of the two I would get the RSX but remeber all those parts fit in the new civic and if one low life has one, your RSX may be gone one morning.
Old 08-28-2001, 02:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (NewYorkTypeR)

i thought the stick was out already...why'd you get the slushbox?
Old 08-28-2001, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The IS300 is nice. My buddy drove one with a slushbox and wasn't expecting much from the car, but came away very impressed.
Old 08-28-2001, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (red97gsr)

The stick will be in the showrooms in two weeks out here. I went to the lexus dealer on 65th and 6th ave in brooklyn. They have the pamphlet for it. It is nice to see it in stick.

Wait a while and get the manual tranny.

I can see why you want the auto. They should be going for a better price.
Old 08-28-2001, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, ive heard the dub sucks in the handling department, although vw folks will never admit it! anyway, i called acura of wastechester tonite.. what asses, didnt wanna sell, didnt offer a test drive, said none were in stock.. meanwhile, when i went to curry, they bent over backwards for me.. when i bought my teg, it was at ac of west, and curry were the asses. go figure.

so, i guess ill stick with curry.. id love the IS, but dont wanna spend that kinda cash.. so maybe ill lease the rsx.. and ins is only like 400 more/yr.. not bad over a 95 teg!

thx again alll...
PEEEAAAACEE
Old 08-28-2001, 07:23 PM
New User

Here's my 2 cents worth on this topic. I've owned an RSX-S for a month and a half. However, this was not my first choice and over the past 6 months I've driven a few cars many times. Initially I wanted a BMW 330ci, but the $770 a month lease payment sure could buy a lot of lap dances. I test drove the BMW several times in various conditions.

I then thought I would save some clams and buy the IS300 that came out. This was a great car although only one thought comes to mind when I think of an IS300 and snow "death trap." This car has to have the worst setup for snow driving. I find it ironic that the car fish tails in snow without trying and the fact there is a special snow button on the center console, which seems to do nothing. Great looking car, but is it worth $32,000 to go 0-60 in 7.1 seconds and have the luxury of a Toyota. What's up with the blue seude shoes seat covers?

Finally I thought I had made my choice up and ordered a WRX the first day of availability. I have Subaru VIP so I was actually getting the car $3,000 under MSRP. The bad news is that I had to wait 7 weeks for the car to ship from Japan. If you purchase the WRX I highly recommend getting the carbon fibre dash kit. This car has the cheapest interior short of a Kia or Daewoo. I suppose the Momo steering wheel makes it ok to put only one drink holder in the car, which pops out of the dash and if you have a large drink sits right in front of your radio. The seats were very sport comfy and I could live with out leather, but what's the deal with that floor jack style ratchet pump seat heigth adjustment? Listen the car may handle like nothing you could afford under $40K and have the speed of a $50K sportscar, but it's still a Subaru. If you're looking for a chick magnet this isn't it as most don't notice the car as being anything special or find it's looks to be hideous.

The RSX is a fantastic combination of all that is good in all these cars that I looked at. I haven't had the RSX in the snow, but wet weather was still an issue for both BMW and Lexus. Sure it's not AWD, but everything can't be perfect. Sure the BMW is a a little quieter of a ride over the RSX, but I swear the WRX has no noise supression. Interior wise the RSX is a perfect combination of style and quality. The BMW might have higher grade components, but no interior is more boring. The Lexus on the other hand might be the more futuristic look, but take a close look at the quality and you're talking Toyota Corolla. I'm really interested to see how the IS300's interior looks after two years of use.

The choice is yours, but it sounds like you are like myself and you're probably very interested in what people will think of you in regards to the car you drive. If you want to turn heads, have high performance, and a quality luxury ride then purchase a Porchse. If however you don't have the $50,000+ to do so or perhaps you have a small gambling problem then save the money and get the RSX.

I do have one complaint about the RSX, which I would like to air. Why is the stereo so massively under powered. I can barely hear the thing with the windows down and that Bose bass spare tire cover hits like a 3 year old girl. I think Bose should stick to home stereo equipment. Someone please give me a special edition Marantz car stereo setup.

Oh one other thing. How the hell could someone steal an RSX? Did they flat bed it away? the car won't start unless it has a key because of the microchip.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:25 AM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Subzer0)

I went with the auto b/c of the price. The lease was alot cheaper. Since my IS was broken into last night, I would have now just gotten the RSX. My lease was quoted at 330 a month with about 1500 due at signing. I was dealing with acura of westchester, they always did right bye me.
Old 08-29-2001, 07:10 AM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Subzer0)

Oh one other thing. How the hell could someone steal an RSX? Did they flat bed it away? the car won't start unless it has a key because of the microchip.
the immobilizer won't stop any serious theives. type Rs have the same circuit but at least one a week gets stolen. no security is fool-proof.

nytypeR: sorry to hear about the break-in. guess it's hard to own anything nice in NYC. btw, that's a hell of a deal for the lease on your car.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:12 AM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Speedy)

No that would have been the lease on the RSX. The lease for my IS is 439 a month with 1500 due at signing. I got a decent deal on the IS but I wanted to have the graphite rims so I had to compromise.
Old 08-29-2001, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd get the Dub over the RSX-S. A $500 chip and the RSX will definitely be seeing taillights.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (Speedy)

nytypeR: sorry to hear about the break-in. guess it's hard to own anything nice in NYC.
You don't know the half. It is hard to own a nice car in this city unless you have a garage with a security system itself. I have had friends who have had break-ins into their garages as well (for quads not cars).

I too add that I am sorry to hear about the break in. I hope they didn't damage the car getting into it.

Old 08-31-2001, 04:46 AM
New User

Default Re: Im confused on my choice. :( (StanBo)

Actually the damage quoted from Lexus was 2200. Ofcourse it will be less b/c Lexus wont fix my car. My spare rim is 600 by itself. 17 inch graphite wtf.
Old 09-04-2001, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, placed an order for an s-type... just gotta wait 3-6 weeks for the boat to come and throw it on a train..

FYI- first mod already done - bought a helms manual. my collection is looking good.. hehe.
Old 09-04-2001, 08:14 AM
New User

it's a "type s" not an "s-type". s type is honda's designation for their 2-seat roadsters, e.g. s2000 and older s600s etc. just fyi.

have fun with the RSX...sweet car.

[Modified by Speedy, 10:16 AM 9/4/2001]
Old 09-04-2001, 09:43 AM
Trial User

get the wrx,, the rsx looks like a focus and a celica had a kid..

seems like it performs well though.. I will have to test drive one soon

Quick Reply: Im confused on my choice. :(