Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S

hey everyone, i have been in this forum for about 1 year now but not really active. Well As of right now I have 16000. I have a choice of buying a 02RSX type S with 41K or buying a 00 Celica GTS and turboing it at 6-8 PSI. I know this is a Honda acura forum but I also asked this in the Toyota forum and got both answers. I like the style of both cars, but the interior of the Celica I think is better than the RSX-S. But the RSX-S is a newer car.

The Celica would also be running 13's boosting at 6-8 PSI. It would be pushing out around 220-230 WHP. While the RSX-S running high 14's stock.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:28 AM

honestly, the celica is nice, but i have a very good friend who autocrosses one on a national level ('03 national class champ). she had transmission problems early on in the car's life. i also don't really think that engine is very dependable (uncharacteristic for toyota, i know) but a lot of them have spun bearings. i also point to the issues that engine has had in the MR2 spyder. a lot of those cars have gone through multiple engines, and the drivers i know with them are expereinced, older drivers. it's perplexing, but it kept me away from one.

just something to think about.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (kung fu grip)

I do like the styling of teh Celica, and I like that it feels slightly smaller than the RSX, but IMO the RSX is a much more refined car that was well thought out, and it has a motor that responds better to mods, has lots of support & has been pretty damn reliable thus far. The RSX that we bought new in 01 has almost 80k miles w/ zero issues w/ the engine.

Get what YOU like better, but IMO the Type S wins.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The Type S is basically a underated Type R. 16k for 200 hp isn't that bad.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:49 AM

The Celica is a lot lighter and will perform better than the Type S stock for stock. It handles and brakes better as well.

If there are engine reliability problems with the Celica, I'd be vary wary about turbocharging that engine. The Type S engine is proving to be pretty bulletproof.

If you were going to stay stock, I'd give the slight edge to the Celica. If you're going to be doing some modding, get the Type S.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Default Re: (jimmyjames)

Type-S all the way!

but i'm biased because i own the car

can you get the rsx and turbo it, or are the funds not good?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:09 AM

Default Re: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S (HS2G)

I like the overall (exterior & interior) styling of Celica, it's more compact and sporty than the rsx imo. But if I had to choose between the two, I would choose RSX-S in a heart beat not just because I love Honda, but because RSX-S has alot more to offer and the new platform K-Series motor give it a plus.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S

might be biased (forum and all ) but i would go for RSX i-vtec and all
Old 04-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S (drifter_X)

This might be a noob question here but I haven't done any research on an RSX-S before. I was into the Celica so my attention was at that. Well I want a reliable street car that can be able to run low 14's high 13's. If I get the RSX-S I would go with I/H/E and Hondata. Probably run me $2000 correct me if i'm wrong. I hope it would be cheaper. I also want a turbo because I love the sound of the BOV and seeing the look on peoples faces. Plus I would only be boosting at 6-8 PSI so it is still some what reliable correct? Plus it will be able to run 13's with ease.

Such a hard decision, am I think i'm just a show off but who here isn't right?
Old 04-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I/H/E/Hondata & MM inserts & you will be knocking on 13's if you are a decent driver
Old 04-20-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S (DJ_SaNdOz)

if ur gonna turbo u wont need the i/h...so thats about $600 cheaper..rite der...u can put towards the turbo..
Old 04-20-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Re: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S (NiPBoi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NiPBoi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if ur gonna turbo u wont need the i/h...so thats about $600 cheaper..rite der...u can put towards the turbo..</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think you missed what I said. I said I can either go turbo GTS or N/A RSX-S.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:03 PM

You can still go turbo with the RSX-S if you love the sound of the BOV ( I definitely feel you on that ) but there's so much potential in that K20A2 still to be found (you can be the 1st to build something unique) unlike the B-series, I don't know much about how people go about to gain potential from the GTS tho. But yea, it will run you around $2000 for a decent I/H/E and K-Pro.
Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 PM

I would say either of the following:

1. Get the RSX-S

2. Get a BASE RSX and turbocharge it - K20A3 might be slow stock, but it is great for turboing.

3. Get a Civic Si (I know it's not one of your choices, but look into it) and turbocharge it.

Just a few options for ya...
Old 04-20-2005, 07:00 PM

Default Re: (potator)

I can't turbocharge the RSX-S because as I mention in my first post that it is going to take up all my funds. I won't have enough money to go turbo with an RSX-S.
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 PM

Default Re: (potator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by potator &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say either of the following:

1. Get the RSX-S

2. Get a BASE RSX and turbocharge it - K20A3 might be slow stock, but it is great for turboing.

3. Get a Civic Si (I know it's not one of your choices, but look into it) and turbocharge it.

Just a few options for ya...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't like civic's they are so common my city. Also the only base model RSX i found cost about 14000 with no leather or sunroof. Yeah the RSX-S is a very nice car, but one of my close friend has one so I just want to be different from everyone else. Plus I love the style of the Celica from interior to exterior. A turbo celica is not very common so I think thats what i'm going to go. Plus i'm getting a great deal on the GT-S.

2000 Celica GT-S
Absolute red
66K miles
TRD exhaust
TRD springs
New tires
Injen Intake
Oil been changed with mobil1 synthetic and maintience document is available
Clear carfax history with 2 owners
Black leather seats that look brand new (especially the back)
Power sunroof

All for $10700, It was at 11500 but my mom talked him down. thats about 500-800 below book value. Pretty good think. I been searching for one and can only find ones that are 12000+ but not red.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (HS2G)

Great! I guess you've made up your mind then. I'll wait for you at the finish line with my soon to be turboed K20A3 powered EP3 along with my friend's NA K20A2 powered DC5-S. J/K Anyways Have fun with your new car!
Old 04-20-2005, 08:52 PM

I'm not sure that I'd want to turbocharge the Celica with 66k miles already on the engine. Why not just do a little weight reduction and some basic mods like I/E/ECU. You'll be quicker than a Type-S already and well into the 13s in the 1/4.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmyjames &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure that I'd want to turbocharge the Celica with 66k miles already on the engine. Why not just do a little weight reduction and some basic mods like I/E/ECU. You'll be quicker than a Type-S already and well into the 13s in the 1/4.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still debating on the turbo or not, there are some members on the newcelica.org forum that I talked to who are running high 13's with I/E/Apexi PFC/DR. But they are very well experienced drivers. I would go N/A for the reliable issue, but the sound of a BOV and the look of surprise on peoples faces when they see a turbo celica for the first time is just great.

I will probably have to check compression on each cylinder, gaskets, leaks, sparks, ignition. Thats what I can think of right now.

What would you guys recommend checking before I plan on the turbo?
Old 04-20-2005, 09:40 PM

Be sure to get a leakdown test.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:13 PM

fo 10 g's id go wit the celica...i love my type s but id rather save money...cars are a bad investment...
Old 04-20-2005, 10:54 PM

Default Re: (NiPBoi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NiPBoi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fo 10 g's id go wit the celica...i love my type s but id rather save money...cars are a bad investment...</TD></TR></TABLE>

tru dat. Modified cars are an even worse investment.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:55 PM
'

Default Re: (NiPBoi)

How about $15 grand for a Scion tC. And Throw in $4G for a ScionSpeed Stage3 turbo kit and get 426WHP/376WTQ or otherwise 491HP and 428 ft/lb @ the flywheel!

STOCK MOTOR + ScionSpeed Turbo Kit:
426WHP/376WTQ
491HP/428FT-LB AT THE FLYWHEEL

1/4 mile NHRA TRACK TESTED = 12.5 SECONDS !!!!

By the way, this is a 9.6:1 compression motor.

YES THIS IS A FULLY BONE STOCK SCION TC MOTOR! IT CAN MAKE THIS MUCH POWER AND NOT BLOW UP! IT DID 6 RUNS BACK TO BACK ON THE DYNO!!!!! JUST VISIT http://WWW.SCIONSPEED.COM FOR A VIDEO AND DYNOSHEET FOR PROOF

ANY QUESTIONS?

THIS IS THE REASON WHY I'M GETTING MY SCION. NO OTHER K20/B18/ OR WHATEVER CAN HIT 400WHP AND NOT BLOW UP.

CELICA GT-S? RSX TYPE-S? INTEGRA TYPE-R? DON'T STAND A CHANCE! I'M TALKING ABOUT A CAR STRAIGHT UP FOR 15GRAND BRAND NEW, STRAIGHT UP FROM THE FACTORY, STRAIGHT UP READY FOR SOME BOOST!!!

Modified by L337HXR at 8:38 AM 4/21/2005
Old 04-21-2005, 01:01 AM

tc? it mite be fast but i dont like the way it look ;(, well i wonder wat if stock gt-s vs stock rsx type s whick one will win??
Old 04-21-2005, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ_SaNdOz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ_SaNdOz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do like the styling of teh Celica, and I like that it feels slightly smaller than the RSX, but IMO the RSX is a much more refined car that was well thought out, and it has a motor that responds better to mods, has lots of support & has been pretty damn reliable thus far. The RSX that we bought new in 01 has almost 80k miles w/ zero issues w/ the engine.

Get what YOU like better, but IMO the Type S wins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said and damn right. I like Toyotas too (also got a 4Runner) but the current Celica, even OEM, just shouts "boy racer".

Quick Reply: I have a choice of the Celica GT-S Turbo or RSX-S