Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

Honda Civic si hatchback 2002 shut down while driving and won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic si hatchback 2002 shut down while driving and won't start

Hi. I have a 2002 Honda Civic si hatchback 2.0l. Two months ago had a bunch of regular Maintenance done at a mechanic 120 miles away near my parents. I was driving it and have not had any issues. I noticed the check engine light came on. I was about 20 miles from home and didn't think it was a big deal. (My light was on for 5 yrs because of a bad Cadillac converter which was just replaced). 3 miles after it came on I pulled off the interstate. I pushed the clutch in to go to neutral and started to brake. Everything was fine then the brake got hard and no power steering. Looked down and car had shut off. Pulled over and tried to restart and all lights came on and it just clicked once and didn't try to start. I was not in a good part of town so I called a tow truck to bring me home. Once home I tried to start and it turned over just wouldn't start like no spark. Plugged in my code reader to car and got two codes. P1362-TDC (cam) sensor no signal or dead, p1259-vtec system fault bank one. I started to rule things out. Found battery was weak so went and got a battery, reset codes and tried to start. Same thing...turns over but doesn't spark or start. No codes and check engine light is off. I have spoken to several mechanics. Without looking some say electrical, some say mechanical. Some say try it and some say bring it in. Checked oil and its full and clean. I'm thinking I will try to change the TDC sensor myself. Do you think this will help? I figured for he price I would try it. Problem is I have a handy man company and my work van died two weeks ago and I think it's done and this car just died. I have no car and just need to get this one running. It's hard to find honest mechanics to work on my vehicles and not charge an arm and a leg and that's why I took it to my parents mechanic. I live in atl. It just seems like a simple fix but I know these cars are complicated. If I can get it to run to take back to mechanic would be great. I'm trying not to have a huge towing bill. I paid $150 to go 20 miles yesterday. To tow up there would be @$500. Do you think changing this sensor is worth it?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic si hatchback 2002 shut down while driving and won't start

Sounds fairly logical to me that if the computer doesn't know where the cam is that it would shut the engine down. Considering that you have a code that shows no signal or dead from the cam sensor that would be what I would change first, and the vtec code is likely related to that.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Honda Civic si hatchback 2002 shut down while driving and won't start

Thank you very much. I agree with you and for the price it is worth to replace it.