Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

DC5 Setting up for road race

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC5 Setting up for road race

Sorted

Last edited by Weel; 01-28-2021 at 05:25 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DC5 Setting up for road race

tranny syncros
Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

EP3/DC5 Suspension Sticky might be a good read (though I'm sure you've read it already).

https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/ep3-dc5-suspension-tuning-basics-faqs-told-mustclime-2639666/
Old 02-19-2010, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also go the track and check out some other peoples cars and ask for advice! If they are cool they would probably help a fellow racer out.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoonyDC5
tranny syncros
Also, look into stiffening up with motor mount of some sort, cuz I heard RH/exhaust sometimes cause the THUD underneath when torque hits. GL with your upgrade!!!
Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 PM
DC5/EP3 MOD :)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Weel
still 50/50 as to weather I want to go ahead with it, cost of blowing a k20a up is huge compared to b series
it's just money...

I've blown up a turbo F series, turbo B series and K20Z1... All truthfully have run me about the same to replace. lol

You just have to look for a good deal. But don't let fears hold anything back for having fun and starting something great. Cars a huge hobby for me and a peace of mind. They give me something better to do and keep me from causing troubles other ways. They have fixed my old drinking problem. My .02$

don't fear breaking. Use it for an excuse to upgrade and go bigger.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Weel
Yeah b18c-R/b16b is like $2000nz. where a k20a is $8000.00
you can find k20a with LSD equiped 6 sp tranny for much less than 8k. when i was shopping for swap k-series, I found a few around 5.5k ish with pretty low miles on them and they looked to be from legit seller. Unless you're in a hurry for a swap, just look around and you'll def. find something less than 8k
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DC5s make a great car for circuit racing IMO, the fact that they are much newer than the older B series chassis really shows in reliability. All the B series guys I know seem to be fixing their cars constantly, I would much rather be on the track.

As others have said the DC5 gearbox is a little sensitive and seems to be very hard on oils. I just use OEM MTF and change it every track day. Over 2000 track kms with no issues so far. I try not to smash gear changes either, I figure there is more speed to be found in other areas of my driving technique that aren't so hard on my car.

The suspension geometry front and rear are the main issues in the DC5 chassis compared to the older cars. The front has crappy camber gain like any Macpherson strut along with very interesting bump steer characteristics at any height apart from stock. The rear has a very poor motion ratio to the spring/shock so very high spring and damper rates are necessary.

My advice would be to start with a rear spring nearly twice the rate of the front, a decent amount of static negative camber at the front and then go from there. I run 14kg/mm front and 24kg/mm rear and I find I could do with a bit more spring at both ends but I am limited by poor dampers.

The other things you suggest sound good, the brakes should work well with the right pad and fluid. Oh and as mentioned above, the DC5 engine mounts are poor and won't hold up to circuit use unless you are very gentle.

Originally Posted by cloumep3
you can find k20a with LSD equiped 6 sp tranny for much less than 8k. when i was shopping for swap k-series, I found a few around 5.5k ish with pretty low miles on them and they looked to be from legit seller. Unless you're in a hurry for a swap, just look around and you'll def. find something less than 8k
Are you in New Zealand?
Old 02-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chargeR
...Are you in New Zealand?
huh? I'm from chicago IL, USA New Zealand = i wanna visit!!!
Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chargeR

As others have said the DC5 gearbox is a little sensitive and seems to be very hard on oils. I just use OEM MTF and change it every track day. Over 2000 track kms with no issues so far. I try not to smash gear changes either, I figure there is more speed to be found in other areas of my driving technique that aren't so hard on my car.

The suspension geometry front and rear are the main issues in the DC5 chassis compared to the older cars. The front has crappy camber gain like any Macpherson strut along with very interesting bump steer characteristics at any height apart from stock. The rear has a very poor motion ratio to the spring/shock so very high spring and damper rates are necessary.

My advice would be to start with a rear spring nearly twice the rate of the front, a decent amount of static negative camber at the front and then go from there. I run 14kg/mm front and 24kg/mm rear and I find I could do with a bit more spring at both ends but I am limited by poor dampers.

The other things you suggest sound good, the brakes should work well with the right pad and fluid. Oh and as mentioned above, the DC5 engine mounts are poor and won't hold up to circuit use unless you are very gentle.

This is all good advice. Just be warned though that suspension will take a lot of tweaking to get it where it needs to be, and it'll never be as good as your EG.

One thing to add--DO NOT lower the car too much. You'll want to lower only about 1" max from stock. Any more and the geometry issues become compounded.