Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

boostin a dc5 r motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boostin a dc5 r motor

how high can you safely boost a stock type r dc5 k20 motor. my stock k is at 11 psi right now but got a good deal on a type r k20 pending...
Old 09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: boostin a dc5 r motor

Use the money you would pay for that motor and build the current one
Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a brief overview on why that's a terrible idea, no-offense just trying to help:

The Base model RSX comes with a compression ratio of 9:8
The Type S Model RSX comes with a compression ratio of 11:0
The Type R Model Integra (RSX) come with a compression ration of 11:5

Now with dealing with N/A engines, HIGH Compression is good... mater of fact it's awesome. However, if you want to add boost then such high compression numbers are very bad. You want lower compression from the pistons to counteract the extra power from the turbo. More Boost = Less Amount of Compression.

For example, I have a RSX Type S and added the full HKS Turbo maxing around 16psi but only running it around 12psi. I took out my 11:0 factory pistons and replaced them with 10:1 pistons.

When the Type-S models and Type-R models left the factory, they were NEVER intended to have force induction applications installed on them. It's just not how they were designed. So, if you want to buy a DC5r engine... that's great. However, if you plan on boosting it then your just throwing your money down the drain and causing your self a lot of grief. However, if all of this still hasn't convinced you to not follow through with your plan... Please, find the most legit/qualified tuner you can possible dig up and even if he/she (she.. ha ha yeah right) is going to tell you exactly what I told you before they start. G/L!
Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can make more power with higher compression at a given boost level compared to lower compression, but the tune has to be spot on.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct. The DC5R motor was not built for turbo. However, higher compression will make more power on boost. It is just a little more dangerous due to the higher compression regarding detonation.

If you have a good tune you will make more power on 11:5 pistons than 10:0.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Evasion
Here's a brief overview on why that's a terrible idea, no-offense just trying to help:

The Base model RSX comes with a compression ratio of 9:8
The Type S Model RSX comes with a compression ratio of 11:0
The Type R Model Integra (RSX) come with a compression ration of 11:5

Now with dealing with N/A engines, HIGH Compression is good... mater of fact it's awesome. However, if you want to add boost then such high compression numbers are very bad. You want lower compression from the pistons to counteract the extra power from the turbo. More Boost = Less Amount of Compression.

For example, I have a RSX Type S and added the full HKS Turbo maxing around 16psi but only running it around 12psi. I took out my 11:0 factory pistons and replaced them with 10:1 pistons.

When the Type-S models and Type-R models left the factory, they were NEVER intended to have force induction applications installed on them. It's just not how they were designed. So, if you want to buy a DC5r engine... that's great. However, if you plan on boosting it then your just throwing your money down the drain and causing your self a lot of grief. However, if all of this still hasn't convinced you to not follow through with your plan... Please, find the most legit/qualified tuner you can possible dig up and even if he/she (she.. ha ha yeah right) is going to tell you exactly what I told you before they start. G/L!
hey buddie good info but srsly i dont think those ratios are correct. numbers good ratios not.

i think what you meant to say for base rsx it was 9.8:1 , type s is 11:1 and the dc5R is 11.5 :1

the dc5R is almost 12 and that is pretty NA oriented. NOT saying boost + high compression is a bad thing. just use caution, the margin for error is very small, and the type of fuel to tune with is also a limiting factor...

Stock type S with boost all day every day 350-400. how long it will last depends on your driving habits and your setup (i.e how many pounds of boost, etc)
Old 09-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its fine with a tune. Its funny everyone mentions the dc5r wasn't meant for turbo.. considering that no other k20 engine from the factory was either. Run lower boost, have better part throttle response thanks to the higher compression and have it tuned well.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

my 2 cents

it really doesnt matter what compression it is honestly. its all how its tuned. if you built alot of turbo motors you would know that. i would say the dc5R is good for 300-320 hp maxed out with the pistons being stock and the rods stock as well. the dc5R has beefier rods than the k20a3s and is well balanced. the weakest link would be the piston lands. have it tuned by a respectable tuner and remember its not how much boost it can take its how much horsepower it can take being stock.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by omiehomie
hey buddie good info but srsly i dont think those ratios are correct. numbers good ratios not.

i think what you meant to say for base rsx it was 9.8:1 , type s is 11:1 and the dc5R is 11.5 :1
x_X lol I got my ":" and my "." mixed up, thanks for displaying the accurate numbers.