Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

advise needed, camshafts selection, please

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default advise needed, camshafts selection, please

Hello Guys;

I need ur advise urgently please.
I have a 2002 Civic Type-R European version, the car has DCsports racing headers, Apexi VAFCII,custom inbox air filter, Borla back box.

I have the budget to either buy a hondata K-pro or a set of camshafts, I thought since I already have VAFCII to fine tune the mixture and the Type-R is supposed to have an aggressive timing maps, then camshafts should be my chice, do you agree with me about that? or not?

anyway if you did agree, which camshafts should I choose, Crower stage I or Skunk2 stage I? I want to buy cmashafts stage I with springs and titanium retainers.

please advise and if you would recommend a place to by from it would be gr8.

cheers
Captain Nibo
Old 11-20-2006, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advise needed, camshafts selection, please (crv-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crv-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hello Guys;

I need ur advise urgently please.
I have a 2002 Civic Type-R European version, the car has DCsports racing headers, Apexi VAFCII,custom inbox air filter, Borla back box.

I have the budget to either buy a hondata K-pro or a set of camshafts, I thought since I already have VAFCII to fine tune the mixture and the Type-R is supposed to have an aggressive timing maps, then camshafts should be my chice, do you agree with me about that? or not?

anyway if you did agree, which camshafts should I choose, Crower stage I or Skunk2 stage I? I want to buy cmashafts stage I with springs and titanium retainers.

please advise and if you would recommend a place to by from it would be gr8.

cheers
Captain Nibo</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would get Kpro. the VAFC sucks. Plain and simple. Kpro and a decent tune will make a noticable difference on your car.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Re: advise needed, camshafts selection, please (crv-R)

If you do swing for cams and cam gears ... I would look at Toda. A little on the pricey side, but the money is worth it ... excellent quality. They have a few different stages available for the K20A motor. I've seen good results from people just using a VAFC for tuning ... KPro def. is much better and what you should look at getting in the end ... but a VAFC will do for starters.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: advise needed, camshafts selection, please (FullEP3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FullEP3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do swing for cams and cam gears ... I would look at Toda. A little on the pricey side, but the money is worth it ... excellent quality. They have a few different stages available for the K20A motor. I've seen good results from people just using a VAFC for tuning ... KPro def. is much better and what you should look at getting in the end ... but a VAFC will do for starters.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kpro will do better for starters Seriously the Vafc is lightyears behind Kpro for Hondas.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 AM

Default Re: advise needed, camshafts selection, please (cnyej1)

Yes the KPro hands down is a better choice ... just depends on how much money a person wants and/or is able to spend. Sure I would go KPro first ... if it was me ... but this isn't ... I didn't say for this person to go either way ... just said they could do cams, tune with the VAFC, and get decent results. Yes the results will be better if tuned with a KPro.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:08 AM

Default Re: advise needed, camshafts selection, please (FullEP3)

thank you for the replies guys, so basically from what ur saying, ur recommendation would go towards K-pro as a first step, then later on go with camshafts right?

cheers
Nabil
Old 11-21-2006, 09:57 PM

can't get the cams without the kpro, so theres ur answer right there....

u cannot safely run the cams without proper tuning
Old 11-22-2006, 10:19 PM

Definitely get Kpro, it is a must for any k-series motor that wants to make power out of there mods...have you checked out IPS cams..ive heard really good things about them...