Notices
Acura RSX DC5 & Honda Civic EP3 Includes DC5 Integra Type R & 5dr Civic hatchback

06 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Raa)

it was my understanding that less 05's were being made (the reason for the lower numbers) I dont think that the type-s is over priced for what it offers. I paid 22,650 before taxes. Honestly for that price NEW what else compares?
Old 05-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Raa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Raa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's because it costs too much!
I have the window sticker from my 97 RS. It cost $17k. The new base RSX is 20k! It's ridiculous! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct me if im wrong but, the RS did not come with:
power door locks/windows
moonroof
cruise control
alloy wheels
air conditioning

So comparably equipped, also considering inflation (1997 was almost 10 years ago), the price hasnt really changed much. Would you expect Acura to lower the price of the RSX??

Old 05-10-2005, 10:10 PM

Default re

I really dont think Honda will scratch the integra anytime in the next few years- It is a foothold of the import market and honda knows it. You could put the same motor in the civic si and the rsx and make the civic cheaper and poeple will still buy just as many rsxs as they wil cvics- just because it is an integra. I am only 21 but I have owned a few cars (2 supras, 98 civic, and a 02 rsx type S) I know a little about the trends. Not saying they wont ever get rid of the rsx, just not in the near future.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:42 PM
New User

i doubt the RSX will be discontinued.

i've heard rumours that the new type R will have ridiculous amounts of HP with a 2.4L motor.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:49 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: (1llmatic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1llmatic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i've heard rumours that the new type R will have ridiculous amounts of HP with a 2.4L motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Where did you hear these rumours?

The idea of the ITR is to homologate it for competition purposes. Using the K24 would put it in another class in some series, and would perhaps make the car the victim of rules enforcement that would be patently unfair because nobody really knows what the K24 would do. It its new classification, I think we could rely on the DC5 being very uncompetitive.

I mean, think about it. It's barely making it in its current series, even after years of development.

Remember that the Spoon Accord uses a K20, not a K24.

A production release of the K24 would probably be limited to 250 DIN HP with the parts bin inventory currently on hand as we know it.

I guess it's possible they'd invest the time and money necessary to have a long-lived K24 of over 250 HP, but the expense of research coupled with the fact that it would sell very few units would make it an expensive motor to retail.

I dunno, bud. I'm not sure this makes sense. In North America, the K24 makes sense in the 200-250 HP range when used in the TSX, but I don't think it makes a lot of sense in the DC5 as things stand right now.

Do you think they'd invest the time and money on a high stress version of the K24 because it's secretly in their hearts to equip an entire range of performance cars with it? I guess it'd become economical if the market research showed that North America would buy into it, and the motor will be in the RSX, TSX, Civic Si all at the same time.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:56 AM

I talked to a finance manager at the local Acura dealership and she said that she has not heard of the RSX being replaced by the SI. She said that they will continue to make the RSX. She said that they will always make a sporty 2 door coupe Acura that does not cost much.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:03 AM

george, a product matrix has shown the rsx will be discontinued after '06. it really makes sense if you look at it from the market. lexus, bmw, audi, dc, infiniti, etc. offer premium sedans, yet all coupes (sans bmw) from these makers are high-end, not entry-level. while that is a unique placement, it also cannibalizes some models from honda's lineup (like the civic si, the accord coupe). the sales have not been that great for the rsx. introduce the '06 si and now you have 2 cars that are similar underneath, but priced differently. remember when GM did this in the '80s? i think the rsx will go away, making the TSX the entry-level car for acura. i think a high-end coupe will come into the product lineup later.

the rsx is a good car, but i think when acura shifts their market focus, the need for it will fall off.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Now with ultra-violence!

Any interior shots of the new Si been leaked yet? I'm gettin' VERY anxious...
Old 05-11-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (kung fu grip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kung fu grip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">george, a product matrix has shown the rsx will be discontinued after '06. it really makes sense if you look at it from the market. lexus, bmw, audi, dc, infiniti, etc. offer premium sedans, yet all coupes (sans bmw) from these makers are high-end, not entry-level. while that is a unique placement, it also cannibalizes some models from honda's lineup (like the civic si, the accord coupe). the sales have not been that great for the rsx. introduce the '06 si and now you have 2 cars that are similar underneath, but priced differently. remember when GM did this in the '80s? i think the rsx will go away, making the TSX the entry-level car for acura. i think a high-end coupe will come into the product lineup later.

the rsx is a good car, but i think when acura shifts their market focus, the need for it will fall off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Knowing this why would they go through the trouble of making the changes they did to the 05 rsx??? If they knew it was going to be discontinued for 06 why not just make it an 02-05. I dont see the rsx being around for ever, but I cant see them not having an 06 and 07.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:15 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (v00tecsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v00tecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Knowing this why would they go through the trouble of making the changes they did to the 05 rsx??? If they knew it was going to be discontinued for 06 why not just make it an 02-05.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Somebody asked this the other day in another thread.

I don't really have an answer unless it was a "run it up the flagpole" thing.

Remember that the original Integra was designed in 1993 and was scheduled for original obseting at the end of 1997 model year. They decided to try something, a mild improvement, and the Integra became a bigger seller than it was before.

The 2005 facelift and mechanical improvement for the DC5 doesn't seem to have done the same thing. I think it's a great car and a nice price, especially the Type S, but I think it's too late for the marque because of bad press from people like us, among other things.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: (George Knighton)

I guess were just going to have to wait and see what happens. There are a lot of valid points here so it will be interesting to see where Honda goes with this
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM

Yes even if they do discontinue the RSX- it will still be a popular platform for 5+ years after its demise- but it wont happen soon I dont think. And from the pics I have seen of the new civic si- Ill keep the type S thank you :-) I also heard they are making an tsx coupe- which is what I thought the rsx was. Any word?
Old 05-12-2005, 04:20 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (bizlipkick)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bizlipkick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also heard they are making an tsx coupe- which is what I thought the rsx was.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The CL7/CL9 (TSX/RoW Accord) is a completely different chassis from the DC5 (RSX). Not much in common at all.

However, if they are coming up with a TSX coupe, then that explains why the RSX is going away. Perhaps they feel a slightly up-market TSX coupe will appeal to a different market segment than the RSX and new Civic Si.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:42 AM

well if they do that, they better give it more power! There is no reason why they should be letting anything with less then 240 hp roll off the floor anymore (Acura's line anyway)
Old 05-12-2005, 04:47 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: (v00tecsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by v00tecsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if they do that, they better give it more power! There is no reason why they should be letting anything with less then 240 hp roll off the floor anymore (Acura's line anyway)</TD></TR></TABLE>

We seem to be able to kill ourselves rather effectively with less horsepower.

I don't know exactly why they do it, but you can tell they've deliberately held themselves back the past few years with horsepower and AWD. For a while there, you could find spy pictures of a Torrance employee driving a USDM "TSX Type S" at a couple of places in California.

I can't be sure why they didn't start producing it. Perhaps Honda never recovered from the shock of the Fast & Furious stuff. I know that our old friend wasn't too happy with the reference to a "Spoon crate motor" in the movie.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a good point Knighton