Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Type R as a daily driver...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type R as a daily driver...

I'm considering a type R as my next car. It'd be used just about everyday as I want a fun, raw, entertaining daily driver. I know about the high theft rates and the auto ins isn't to bad, got a quote today. I do have a few quick questions. Generally are parts expensive? How is the air conditioning in the car? And lastly if you were to overlay a stock ITR and a stock GSR dyno what would the power curves look like under 7k. A friend of mine is trying to tell me the ITR is absolutly dead down low. I've driven a 00 GSR and thought the car had plenty of power.
Thanks guys
Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type R as a daily driver... (boostdgti)

all honda's are dead down low. the type r does fine for daily driving, you can generally pass without downshifting.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your friend has never driven an ITR. I've driven both a GSR and an ITR...the difference below 6k isn't really noticeable...the difference above 6k is night and day.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Daily driven in NJ, little bit dangerous.
Insure it to the max and good luck!
Old 05-24-2004, 04:50 PM
New User

I am buying mine to drive the hell out of it and no other reason. I am buying mine with intentions of 15,000 miles a year. I drive from Jax to St. Pete/Tampa about once or twice a month.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: (DroppedGSR)

R is a great daily, DO IT!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:32 PM

Default Re: (machgo5go)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by machgo5go &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Daily driven in NJ, little bit dangerous.
Insure it to the max and good luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah it is, it'll be parked in a driveway in a quiet neighborhood and I'm going to more then liekly put some sort of kill switch and the alarm form hell to try and deter theft. It's an amazing car and honestly I couldn't pass on one just because it may get stolen.
Thanks for the info, it's what I figured! Now I need to sell my 99 miata, anyone interested? It's got some bolt ons?
Mike
Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (boostdgti)

"Yeah it is, it'll be parked in a driveway in a quiet neighborhood "

Kiss it goodbye.

Unless you can get a garage I would not consider getting the R, sorry but imho I don't see your car lasting for more then a month or two at tops.

The hard truth, If I did not have a garage I'm sure mine would have been gone years ago And I live in a nice area of Brooklyn with the police station on the same block.

If you feel you must have the R and not have a garage then be prepared to see it missing one day.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:24 PM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: (Bbasso)

Roll the R everywhere. Someone ***** with it, shoot them, but dont act like its impossible to have the R as a daily.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: (Justin Klemgold)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Klemgold &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like your friend has never driven an ITR. I've driven both a GSR and an ITR...the difference below 6k isn't really noticeable...the difference above 6k is night and day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"Yeah it is, it'll be parked in a driveway in a quiet neighborhood "

Kiss it goodbye.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

for real..that's exactly where they'll take it from

nobody will see or hear a thing
Old 05-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (R1366)

bah, don't let them scare ya, get full coverage, and drive it like you stole it.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:40 PM
New User

Default Re: (DragII)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DragII &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bah, don't let them scare ya, get full coverage, and drive it like you stole it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Listen to this guy. buy it to love it, drive it, and enjoy it! Dont buy it to let it sit, what a waste
Old 05-24-2004, 07:45 PM
Don't call it a comeback

Default Re: (DroppedGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DroppedGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Listen to this guy. buy it to love it, drive it, and enjoy it! Dont buy it to let it sit, what a waste</TD></TR></TABLE>

These are smart people
Old 05-24-2004, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its a great daily driver the most fun you can have for under 25k (in a car that is)
Old 05-24-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PY 01-0972)

Good luck with the purchase, but I will GUARANTEE you if you have an ITR in NJ and its not garaged it will be stolen, probably sooner rather than later.

&lt;-- who doesnt live in NJ but has seen many, many Rs disappear in this forum in similar circumstances as poster is mentioning...
Old 05-24-2004, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jetydosa)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DroppedGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Listen to this guy. buy it to love it, drive it, and enjoy it! Dont buy it to let it sit, what a waste</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^Hell yeah. Mines a daily R. You quickly learn ways to keep an eye on it, I feel totally safe w/ mine. Enjoy it totally man, although I wouldnt throw caution to the wind since you live in NJ..
Old 05-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryce)

My mom daily drives hers.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:08 PM

Default Re: (Hatchcrap Ownz J0o)

live your life....buy a itr....have some fun....if you stopped and worried about every little thing you'd be sitting there on your death bed with your cack in your hand
Old 05-24-2004, 10:49 PM

for sure the R is a fun daily driver, thats what i do with mine. You do live in Jersy though so dont ghet attached w/o a garage it is almost likey it wil get stolen. Get full coverage and dont think of it as more than a car even though I do.
Old 05-24-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vegas36)

well said guys.. especially opinions coming from da east coast fellaz.. dont forget galv.. ur itr was stolen off the damn tow truck in brooklyn.. ghey.. hope to see u on the hwy during the summah..

p.s. i need to see how ur cusco catch can is hooked up.. i might be able to squeeze it in der somehwere in my engine bay if there is room..
Old 05-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kicker773)

great way to start the day, go for it
Old 05-25-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: (itr1235)

The R makes a decent daily driver, IF you can keep it safe. If you live in the NYC metro area, I would get a beater, and hide the R in a garage...

I've been daily driving my R for over 80K miles now, and it's been wonderful. Sure, the lack of sound deadening, sunroof, etc gets old after a while, but all I need to do is tear down some curvy backroads, and I fall right back in love with her... Plus, slap a set of snow tires on it, and the R makes an AWESOME winter driver, basically unstoppable in the snow (as long as you don't drive like a moron).

I get 28 - 30 mpg, and have fun driving everyday. Plus the hatch can carry TONS of crap on the daily commute. Only problem I have is the occasional unwanted attention from ricers, and the numerous door dings and damage from the other morons on the road....

My advice is, if your'e gonna get the R and daily drive it:
-Get a good alarm, and make sure it's LOUD and always ARMED.
-Put in a kill switch - if you don't know what this is, do a search. H-Tech will tell you everything you need to know...
-Don't park anywhere stupid for long periods of time, like bad neighborhoods, malls, movie theatres, etc.

-If possible, get a daily driver, you will appreciate your R more if you don't drive it everyday...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Philly_NBP_R)

I would Not have the R as a daily driver for the theft issue alone.

Talk to any of the R-speed guys, several of whom have lost their R's to theft. The Tristate area is the Bermuda triangle of stolen and lost Type-R's with Jersey at eh top of the list. I think we guessed that NJ was equal to Cali at one point.

If you get the R, make sure you have a safe place to store it at night and in the driveway of a safe neighborhood doesn't count imho.

Then be ready for all sorts of negative attention from ricers and any local moron for their general jackassery at just about every traffic light.

But, on the up side, in relative stock form, the R is a reasonably comfortable car with decent gas mileage and loads of cargo room.

It's up to you but in our area I wouldn't suggest it as a "safe" daily driver. Fun yes, but not theft safe or able to deter theft.

Best of luck

Anton

Modified by 1GreyTeg at 7:43 AM 5/25/2004
Old 05-25-2004, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1GreyTeg)

my ITR is a DD

Quick Reply: Type R as a daily driver...