Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!(graphic intensive)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2002, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!(graphic intensive)

Alright guys...today IGGY and I made the 2 hour trip to the local dyno shop to finish his school project...improving upon something that Honda was quoted saying was "perfect"...gaining more reliable power. The dyno that we normally deal with is in the process of relocating and their dyno has not yet been relocated...so Lawrence at DynoSpot Racing was kind enough(thank you) to call up one of the other dyno shops in town and hooked us up with Robert at Thunder Alley, he definately took care of us...Thank You Robert!!

The plan was to dyno the car bone stock...then add in the Comptech Icebox with their drop in filter(still using stock rubber intake), dyno, add in the Mugen Gymkana header(4-2-1), Mugen JDM length exhaust, and a Carsound 54006 cat(which we found out the hard way was 1" to long, needs a little modification by the local exhaust shop tomorrow)...then add in a VAFC and do some slight tuning, Thunder Alley's wideband O2 sensor hadn't shown up yet, so no real tuning.

Here are the pics...

Iggy checking the oil before we left...interesting.

Laying out all of the parts just to make sure...

Just in case you didn't know what the Mugen Gymkana header looked like...

Here are the plots...#3 is the baseline...the other one is after the installation of the Comptech Icebox and Comptech drop-in filter...

Here is after the installation of the header, cat, exhaust and some very rudimentary tuning...vtec @5100(later changed to 5300), fuel at +4-5% @ crossover, -5% at 7000-8000...more tuning to come after the availability of a WBO2...

What was left over after the day...

One of my favorite pics of the day...

And a little snack n the way home , IGGY had never there before...and besides it was right next to the In-N-Out Burgers...nice dinner and dessert.

More pics available here...

[EDIT]Off to American Le Mans Series at Sears Point tomorrow(today), so I wont be seeing this post until late tomorrow(today) night[/edit]

[Modified by Austin, 12:59 AM 5/18/2002]
Old 05-17-2002, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!(graphic intensive) (Aust

hot sauce!
Old 05-17-2002, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!(graphic intensive) (Aust

damn... i love those MUGENs!!! but the dyno curve is werid tho
Old 05-17-2002, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

now slap on a AEM or Unorthodox powersteering pulley and the alternator pulley and you will gain a few more whp. Also going to 18deg is also a good idea. You know Maurice? He hit 168whp from having 18deg timing, AEM PS pulley, alt pulley, and AEM intake. His base line was 162whp. So I would expect around 5whp from the pulley kit on his car. So figure like 175-178whp is possible.
Old 05-17-2002, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh shiz?

maurice is on here?

daymit, i met him @ my friend's party, he was like a friend of a friend of a friend?

what's his SN daymit!

haaha, tell him dino sez "haaaaaay"
Old 05-18-2002, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

he sometimes checks out the site but never posts. Thats funny you know him! lol I went to school with him and he's a good friend. He can blame me for him getting the R!!!! lol

Here's some old post of his that show the different little changes he tried back in 2000. Pulley swap is a good idea!

Thank imagestation for them being so small, however I guess its better for H-T for its small size. But youy get the point when you see the curves.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i remember when his only mod was a drop in filter! lol...

hahaha,

we went out on skyline woodside/84, and he got the *** out when he was trying to keep up...

he freaked my friend out!

haha, daym....i miss high school...
Old 05-18-2002, 12:52 AM
New User

looked like the Mugen 4-2-1 header gives huge mid-range gain, much better than their 4-1 header. Maybe you really need to get the Mugen header and exhaust combo in order to get power from the Mugen header.
Old 05-18-2002, 01:26 AM
New User

WOW...thats a hellava lot of mid range!!!
Old 05-18-2002, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the Heads Up!!

I've been planning on going with the same set up myself.

Question????

Where did you get the JDM cat-back system from?

My set up would be:
Mugen N1
Mugen JDM (4-2-1)
Mugen JDM cat back (if possible)
Mugen Cams
spoon TB

Of course the usual goodiess.
cold air intake
pulley's

Fuminsho
Old 05-18-2002, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is after the installation of the header, cat, exhaust and some very rudimentary tuning...vtec @5100(later changed to 5300), fuel at +4-5% @ crossover, -5% at 7000-8000...more tuning to come after the availability of a WBO2...

Holly Cow! There is a gain of ~20 lb-ft of torque at ~5,700 rpm!!! That's just nuts!

[Modified by Cosworth, 8:54 AM 5/18/2002]
Old 05-18-2002, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuminshu...the exhaust was puchased through King Motorsports...from what I hear they import a couple of JDM length exhausts eery container that they import...Iggy called them up and they had one on an incoming container...3 weeks later it was at his front door.
Austin
- Off to ALMS....6:30 am PST
Old 05-18-2002, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That was the best, and most informative, experience I have ever had! The whole thing went according to plan, except the 20+ min. that we spent getting on the axle back. Every thing was fun, I worked on my car, got more power and defiantly more torque, saw a donut factory, and got a chance to go Mugen on a car. It was so much fun!!
Old 05-18-2002, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hoe-lay shet
Old 05-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the Heads Up!!

I've been planning on going with the same set up myself.

Question????

Where did you get the JDM cat-back system from?

My set up would be:
Mugen N1
Mugen JDM (4-2-1)
Mugen JDM cat back (if possible)
Mugen Cams
spoon TB

Of course the usual goodiess.
cold air intake
pulley's

Fuminsho
I got my exhaust from Kingmotorsport, and my header from DP motorsports.
Mugen N1 are you talking about suspention? Because Mugen does not make a N1 exhaust.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He's talking about the Mugen N1 suspension
Old 05-18-2002, 08:19 AM

I got my exhaust from Kingmotorsport, and my header from DP motorsports.
Mugen N1 are you talking about suspention? Because Mugen does not make a N1 exhaust.

They actually do... if you have an RSX... and if you can speak Japanese I bet you can Mugen in Japan and order stuff that King doesnt carry...
Old 05-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He's talking about the Mugen N1 suspension
I don't think so...he is talking about engine mods and the N1 suspension isn't going to give hime any power...

I'm guessing he is getting a Mugen N1 ECU.
Old 05-18-2002, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, any plot yet for the finally, that is sooo bad ***, that picture
Old 05-18-2002, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya just gotta love mooogen!!!! great pics man
Old 05-18-2002, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry guys,
It would be the N1 mugen ECU
Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who thinks the car made to little power? What settings can be done to increase power?
Old 05-20-2002, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you guys smooth out the dip at 5200 rpm???
Old 05-20-2002, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you guys smooth out the dip at 5200 rpm???
Yep...vtec is now at 5300 rpm.
Old 08-09-2002, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!

I dunno i agree with Iggy and thing there should be more power from that, maybe the ECU had to be reset and had to get used to the morep ower to take full advantage of the mods....

Quick Reply: Type-R buildup, stock -->Mugen, Comptech, VAFC...dyno plots inside!!(graphic intensive)