Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?!

OK ..im looking at something for example sake .. dampers that are 16k and 14k ..and to me this is french ..im still not all familiar with the rates and what they mean and how it actually applies in real world driving ..

also ..something with these spring rates obviously in my head is like whoa super stiff ..so what would happen on springs this stiff and setting the dampers to full soft ? what does that translate to ?

what are you guys opinions on what springs rates are used for what .. and what are you guys running? and do you do the most? (daily driver/racer/auto-x) and how do you like it ?

thanks guys.
Old 01-11-2003, 02:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (chameleon)

16kg/mm

so for every 16kg it the spring will move a mm.
what's this translate to? one stiff ride.

how will it ride? most likely hard, but it also depends on the valving of the dampeners. if the dampeners have properly sized valving, the ride MAY be okay. but at 16k, it'll be stiff regardless.

it's "safe" to stay below 12k on the streets. on the boards, from what i have read, people with zeals and 10k/6k spring rates wish they had gone stiffer rates because they felt that these rates were too "soft".

it's all subjective if you ask me. spring rates, if you drive enough, should be bought to your driving style. in my case, i didn't want to shell the extra money and buy custom spring rates.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (chameleon)

It really depends on your "comfort level".

16K/mm comes out to about a 956 lb front, and 14K comes to about 784 lbs rear.
This is a lot for a street car,
and will most likely be uncomfortable unless you are one of theose people that likes to feel like they're driving a race car on the street.

For reference the stock ITR rates are something like 285 front and 125-250 (progressive) rear.

Personally, I can't wait to try out my new Buddy Clubs with a 12KF/14K rear setup.
Old 01-11-2003, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (Zygspeed)

thanks guys, what would be the need to have the rear higher than the front ??
Old 01-11-2003, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

by the way its all down to this ..

Spoon Dampers 16k and 14k but their adjustable..

or

Cusco Comp S 8k and 6k non adjustable...

so give me you guys opinion. and could i just get less stiffer springs?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys, what would be the need to have the rear higher than the front ??
That's what I was thinking. Isn't it better to have a stiffer front end?
Old 01-11-2003, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (NunRacer)

Really depends on driving style and all the types of sway bars, etc. that may also be installed.

I've already installed Mugen 26mm front and rear sway bars and f/r upper strut tower bars, and will be adding a Kirk roll bar soon.

Most of the times the springs themselves can simply be swapped front to rear, if they are the same lengths.
Since the Buddy Clubs came 12F/8kR, I've been hunting around for a replacement set of rear springs to make the setup 12F/14K rear.

Speaking of which, Dave from R&D should be bringing them back for me from the TAS.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by the way its all down to this ..

Spoon Dampers 16k and 14k but their adjustable..

or

Cusco Comp S 8k and 6k non adjustable...

Just curious but, why do you say it's down to those? When there are just so many other choices that may fit your needs better...

You haven't listed exactly what application You intend for the car. Or did I miss that on another Suspension post? (I follow them pretty religiously)

I personally got into autox/tracking my car in the last few years pretty seriously and frequently and I'm still on a full stock suspension.

Since for me I'll just get more serious into tracking, then a more serious full racing suspension will be the way I most likely will go (not at least till next year or the year after) Because thats the application I desire. But, I haven't narrowed it down to 2 brands or types yet. I mean the Zeal S6 looks great in my eyes but, I have also driven on the Racing Gear coilovers and may desire them since I thought they felt great, I'm just not sure yet though.

For a road application I can't suggest much since I haven't look there but, I know that Zeal, BuddyClub and Tein offers a few choices, as well as the Popular Mugen Lowdowns or even just some Spoon lowering springs, but, I bet you're interested in lowering adjustability and the Teins and Zeals fit that well Since the Mugen and Spoon springs are fixed lowering.

I just wondered why you narrowed it down to just those Two choices that you listed?

just fyi 16K and 14K are a big difference between 8K and 6K...

A.

Old 01-11-2003, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (1GreyTeg)

Just curious but, why do you say it's down to those? When there are just so many other choices that may fit your needs better...

You haven't listed exactly what application You intend for the car. Or did I miss that on another Suspension post? (I follow them pretty religiously)

I personally got into autox/tracking my car in the last few years pretty seriously and frequently and I'm still on a full stock suspension.

Since for me I'll just get more serious into tracking, then a more serious full racing suspension will be the way I most likely will go (not at least till next year or the year after) Because thats the application I desire. But, I haven't narrowed it down to 2 brands or types yet. I mean the Zeal S6 looks great in my eyes but, I have also driven on the Racing Gear coilovers and may desire them since I thought they felt great, I'm just not sure yet though.

For a road application I can't suggest much since I haven't look there but, I know that Zeal, BuddyClub and Tein offers a few choices, as well as the Popular Mugen Lowdowns or even just some Spoon lowering springs, but, I bet you're interested in lowering adjustability and the Teins and Zeals fit that well Since the Mugen and Spoon springs are fixed lowering.

I just wondered why you narrowed it down to just those Two choices that you listed?

just fyi 16K and 14K are a big difference between 8K and 6K...

A.
1greyteg brings about great points which you should DEFINITELY take into consideration. If i were you, I would look at the zeal B2's and tein HA's(discontinues), unless your application states otherwise. If they call for something more aggressive, definitely consider the zeal B6/S6, tein RA's, and the Buddy clubs (which are probably the best of the three, A&J use 'em on their SCCBC ITR's). All have gotten great reviews for the most part. If ride comfort is something you care about, look at zeal.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (disordeR)

Idol Motorsports:
Aluminium shocks (thread) + Eibach double springs. Weight: 3,5kg at each wheel.
The kit comes with the setting and the spring combination and spring-rate you want.

1250.- Euros plus shipping, set and ready for install.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (ITR1858)

Those are nice, but may be more difficult to get here in the USA.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (ITR1858)

Sven, every time you post pics I find myself wiping the drool from my lower lip.

Did you guys sell the Idol ITR yet?

A.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (Zygspeed)

Not true. Idol is my supporting company.
If you want them, they will be made for you and shipped.

For me it`s normal to get parts from overseas... not a big thing.

Our price is 1250.- plus 16% tax (sorry, I forgot) and shipping.

Believe me, this special Idol/Eibach project suspension work is lightyears away from all what`s mass-produced and called Koni or Tein.. whatever.
There are three ITR`s and one CTR equipped worldwide and they run the best lap times around.

You can choose a softer rate to leave it streetable if you want

Old 01-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (disordeR)

the reason im looking at those two is because im looking for a used set and these two are available to me at a decent price. and wanted to know which would be a better decision. like i stated in my first post its a daily driver and im a weekend racer.. and will be pushing 350whp+ in spring. so i would be hitting up the track occasionally.. so long term which one was better?

like i could get the spoons and get softer springs per say..
i definitely want zeal b6's but i cant find any used at the price im looking for, and i had a chance to get them at my price and i blew it. what can i do ..
Old 01-11-2003, 11:24 AM

Believe me, this special Idol/Eibach project suspension work is lightyears away from all what`s mass-produced and called Koni or Tein.. whatever.
There are three ITR`s and one CTR equipped worldwide and they run the best lap times around.

well i'll tell you how my "mass-produced" S6's run after i install them.

can you give us more specs?? valving, adjustability, etc etc
Old 01-11-2003, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (1GreyTeg)

Sven, every time you post pics I find myself wiping the drool from my lower lip.

Did you guys sell the Idol ITR yet?

A.
Anton,

no. there had been a guy who offered 20k but that was not a good offer..
Jan, the ITR`s owner thinks of keeping this R and running with shorter 4th and 5th this year... He thinks of some better laps in Spa, which is a highspeed track.
Last week we phoned and he said that he doesn`t believe, an Evo could be faster through curves, so yes, I think he will keep this R.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have zeal B6's used for $700 shipped?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:32 AM

anyone have zeal B6's used for $700 shipped?
'

that's like a steal x 15
Old 01-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why the 16% vat...these are being exported. waivers should automatically nullify the requirement of vat.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you give us more specs?? valving, adjustability, etc etc
What specs do you want ? There are no fixed specs... Every single shock will be made for the customer of full aluminium. You can also have spring plates made of teflon, very strong and light. The springs are your personal taste...

Think of it. You can IM me if you like.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (Soup ****)

why the 16% vat...these are being exported. waivers should automatically nullify the requirement of vat.
Yes. my fault.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what is the conversion rate from kg/mm to lbs/in again?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?! (py1188)

what is the conversion rate from kg/mm to lbs/in again?
about Kg/mm number X 56 = USDM pound spring value
Old 01-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone have zeal B6's used for $700 shipped? '

that's like a steal x 15
someone shoot me i could have had them for $650 shipped and i blew it !!
Old 01-11-2003, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

guys what spring rates do you feel is good for me so i can get familiar with what i have to get ?

Quick Reply: Topic of the Week: Spring Rates and their Function/Streetability ?!