Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it?

I have thought about putting a four lug that is on a GSR i'm fixing up, on my ITR. I know it weighs less, but it is that big of a difference? Has anyone done it? And I know all of you "bling" kids out there will say don't do it, So don't post.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (nathan atwell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have that GSR.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stopped reading right there....

Old 09-22-2004, 08:19 AM

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (nathan atwell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have that GSR that I was going to fix but then I started thinking about the benefits of putting the four lug on my car. I know it weighs less, but it is that big of a difference? Has anyone done it? And I know all of you "bling" kids out there will say don't do it, So don't post.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would any of us want to get a five lug when 99% of our cars come with it?
Old 09-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (Bbasso)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why would any of us want to get a five lug when 99% of our cars come with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think he's asking if we want one, he is asking what are the pros and cons of converting from 5 lug to 4 lug, hense the title: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (Bbasso)

HOlD on and let me fix the thread........
Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 AM
.RJ

Well what do you want out of the car? I cant think of a good reason to put a 4-lug on except for possibly drag racing.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has been done, there was a member with a black ITR that traded his suspension for a GSR so he could run 14" slicks or something like that, and also rock those Mugen M5s (4x100).
Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (KOALA YUMMIES)

Yeah, I rember that guy. I was just thinking that it would be better for braking (I would put on a big brake kit) and cornering or something. I know there is about a 25 lb difference.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a time when I first got my 93 Civic, I ripped the brakes off my R and put it on my hatch.

The 4lug front/rear discs along with my Mugen RNRs from my Si HB went on my DC2.

I have since gone back to 5lug on the R but to answer your question, it can definately be done. The setup is lighter....a lot of the crazy hardcore guys go 4lug anyway, due to the relative "massive" weight savings as it was pointed out

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I rember that guy. I was just thinking that it would be better for braking (I would put on a big brake kit) and cornering or something. I know there is about a 25 lb difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Four lug goodness pulled from : http://www.a-t-s-usa.com/photos/DC2-new.shtml

Not sure if Yasu's car is 4X114.3 or 4X100. But there is a difference in track width....I think it's the hub that is different, a cheap fix would be to use 5mm spacers front and back I suppose. Just do an online search on the DC2-R track width vs. the GS-R
Old 09-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are few ITRs in Nor Cal have done this for drag. There are only two Pros I can think of... lighter in weight and fit smaller wheels for drag.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I rember that guy. I was just thinking that it would be better for braking (I would put on a big brake kit) and cornering or something. I know there is about a 25 lb difference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Although I originally was gonna reply with something like "you ain't makin no sense".

You really need to decide what RJ already asked you:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well what do you want out of the car? I cant think of a good reason to put a 4-lug on except for possibly drag racing.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-22-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (1GreyTeg)

Um....? Decided!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:56 AM
.RJ

If you are planning on installing a big brake kit anyways, then it might be worthwile, but if you're leaving the brakes stock, the braking will not be better - and if you're worried about cornering, you're going to need them. ITR brakes are very good.

I wonder if the ABS calibrations are any different between GSR/ITR brakes also.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I wonder if the ABS calibrations are any different between GSR/ITR brakes also.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats a good question. If the size of the axle is the same, its should be fine, right? And, I think that a AEM OEM brake kit would be fine to try it out, and if it was a good switch, get some better brakes. I can measure the axles when I get home.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:13 AM
.RJ

Why do you want "better" brakes?

Good pads, tires and fluid = all you need.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you want "better" brakes?

Good pads, tires and fluid = all you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (SpoonR617)

No, no. Not better brakes than the ITR brakes (five lug).... better then GSR brakes (four lug). I know that the brakes on my R are 11 inch and the I'm not sure what the size is for the GSR but I know its alot smaller; I think its 10.2 or something like that. ITR brakes are great. But if I went to a four lug (from the gsr) I would want something as good or better then ITR brakes.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:26 AM
.RJ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But if I went to a four lug (from the gsr) I would want something as good or better then ITR brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So then whats the point of going to 4-lug? Seems way too complicated the same thing you already have.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 AM

Here is a quote from a thread that was posted a while back. I don't know exactly how accurate this was, but it'll give you an idea.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SnoFlake EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i have been going thru many ideas to bring the weight down in my 94 CX....2450 with me in it........and since i like to drag and cant run 13" with the 5x114 i opt to go back to my old 4x114 96 ITR set up....figuring also it was lighter because of the less beefier hubs etc.....
i tried finding a post on here and there were just guessing....here are you actual figures

5x114 front is 44lbs

4x114 front is 37 lbs for a lost of 7lbs

rears is where the the most came from

5x114 rears are 42-43 lbs

4x114 rears are 30lbs lost of 12-13 lbs

total lost of 38-40 lbs.....the 5 lug has light weight extended studs and powerslot rotors which are lighter the your standard rotors...
the 4x114 has standard rotors....
i was thinking i would have lost 50lbs but its still weight i dont want.....with lighter rotors the 4x114 will have even more lost weight

my reason was to get rid of drivetrain weight!!!!! hope it make a difference!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nathan atwell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, no. Not better brakes than the ITR brakes (five lug).... better then GSR brakes (four lug). I know that the brakes on my R are 11 inch and the I'm not sure what the size is for the GSR but I know its alot smaller; I think its 10.2 or something like that. ITR brakes are great. But if I went to a four lug (from the gsr) I would want something as good or better then ITR brakes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so whats you goal for use of the car?

You want to reduce unsprung weight for what exactly?

But you want to maintain the same or better braking ability as the R originally had with the GSR brakes?

Sorry, now I'm gonna have to say this just ain't addin up.

Why exactly again are you certain about swapping from the Stock R brakes to GSR? I still fail to understand this unless you are a serious sort of drag racer.

Anton who is more confused with every subsequent post Nathan makes. Maybe it's just me?

Modified by 1GreyTeg at 2:24 PM 9/22/2004
Old 09-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (1GreyTeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1GreyTeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe it's just me?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I don't understand either.

What do you do with the car that you want to shave this 25 lbs?
Old 09-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see many race touring cars with 5 lugs, why wouldn't they go for 4 lug?
Does it really matter for the lap time? I don't care about drag racing now.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:17 AM

Default Re: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it? (AssPenny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AssPenny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't think he's asking if we want one, he is asking what are the pros and cons of converting from 5 lug to 4 lug, hence the title: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh.. now that I have read everyone posts I don't get the purpose of going to 4 lug. If its about the weight, strip the back seats out and take a Fat Bradster dump and you should be able to dump 50lbs. But getting better brakes for the GSR setup is going to put weight back on that you just took off. SO the only reason I can see why any one would put 4 lug on the front to fit the 13 or 14 inch rims for drag use.

Please explain your ultimate goal, please.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he is thinking about reducing the unsprung weight so he then would take corners faster......
Old 09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bbasso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh.. now that I have read everyone posts I don't get the purpose of going to 4 lug. If its about the weight, strip the back seats out and take a Fat Bradster dump and you should be able to dump 50lbs. But getting better brakes for the GSR setup is going to put weight back on that you just took off. SO the only reason I can see why any one would put 4 lug on the front to fit the 13 or 14 inch rims for drag use.

Please explain your ultimate goal, please.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup.. I agree with that. If you are going to upgrade your GSR brake setup(bigger rotors, etc... ), it might be as much weight as the ITR 5 lugs set up.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going from a five lug to four lug. Anyone done it?