Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

thanks for the weight reduction...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the weight reduction...

jerk.

I went out to my car Friday morning to find my passenger-side window shattered and my stereo missing. It wasn't a particularly fancy stereo. Just a $150 Sony I'd bought four years ago when my stock one crapped out. You might get $50 at a pawn shop for it. But it must've been worth something to this guy, 'cause he was willing to cause $250 worth of damage to my car just to get it.

The cops, the insurance company and the body shop all said it was the work of a professional, since they did me the courtesey of not cutting the wires. I just laughed and said a professional would've taken the whole car. Besides, it's easier to unclip the harness than it would be to cut the wires anyway.

The disappointing thing is that I've felt relatively safe here in Austin for the last couple of years. Which is good, 'cause the higher rents and generally older properties here make it impossible for me to get a place with a garage. In Dallas there's no way I would've parked overnight outside.

But now I'm wondering whether I should even bother installing the new stereo the insurance company is shipping me. True, about the only time I ever get to listen to music these days is when I'm driving, but is it worth it if it means some puke'll break into my car again to take it?
Old 04-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

********, thank god that's all he wanted buddy...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JUN.R)

You have a right to be pissed....but thank your lucky stars that is all the thief took. People steal all the time, there is theft all around us. Such as life. Perhaps you'll have the uncanny luck of running into the person and the situation might present it's self where you get to knock his teeth down his throat. Some times life is interesting that way.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Haleiwa-Brando)

Yeah, I'm more disappointed than pissed off.

I gave the police the stereo's serial number, so maybe I'll get lucky and the punk'll try to pawn it. I'd love to hear that the blackguard's been arrested for his deeds.

That same weekend, two of my friends, both of whom drive EKs, had the same thing happen to them. I wonder if it was the same thief....
Old 04-20-2006, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pager alarm?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Black R)

Wouldn't have helped in this case. It was in the dead of night and I was passed out. My alarm went off, but I must've slept through it. Probably would've slept through a pager/phone call too.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MK Ultra)

You put too much faith in the human race if you think someone is going to get the inclination to call the cops in a pawn shop to check up on a serial number on a cd player. You also put to much faith in the cops.

View this as a learning experience and move on.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks for the weight reduction... (MK Ultra)

sorry to hear
Old 04-21-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks for the weight reduction... (MK Ultra)

Sucks, I've been there too - well, almost - glass breakage sensor scared them off as soon as the glass cracked.

Was there more damage than just a broken window? Why the body shop involvement?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:08 AM
Collector-o-Guns and Drinker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: thanks for the weight reduction... (Mugen Mike)

Stealing a stereo is a really chickenshit thing to do. It's not like you can't get a Jensen cd player at Wal-Mart for $30 or anything

It's just such a damn aggravation for the victim, between cleaning up the glass, blocking the hole, getting the window replaced, dealing with the police and insurance...
Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks for the weight reduction... (Mugen Mike)

The window frame was bent out. It looked like the thief tried to pry the frame out from the corner or something.

Also, the body shop was the closest place authorized by the insurance company to do the estimate. Since they were nice enough to do the estimate at the last minute on a Friday, I figured I'd send the business their way.

However, they put in a used window, and it has another vehicle's VIN etched on it. I'm not too happy about that. Probably should've taken it to the Acura dealership instead.

As for my faith in the police, I don't really expect them to turn anything up. But there's always the off chance. If they do, great. If not, I'm not out any more than I already am.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: thanks for the weight reduction... (Splat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Splat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stealing a stereo is a really chickenshit thing to do. It's not like you can't get a Jensen cd player at Wal-Mart for $30 or anything
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Probably some stupid kid. I don't understand why someone would risk getting shot (I live in Texas ) or busted over a CD player that's barely worth $50.

It doesn't bother me so much that I don't have a stereo anymore, but I would like the hours of my life spent taking care of this back. Plus, this is the third claim I've made on my isurance this year! I don't want to get dropped, but there's not much else I can do when my window's busted out.