Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Stop Tech brakes???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop Tech brakes???

ok i have tried to find out info about these brakes http://www.fastbrakes.com/pages/kits/itr_rotor.htm
but i cant find people opionions about them.

i know the biggest difference is that the stop tech ones are a 2 peice designe and that they cool 80% better then stock rotors and about 15% better then other high performance rotors and that they are a floationg rotor, and that if the rotors ever warp or anything all you have to do is replace the disc since its a 2 peice. but thats about it.

do any of you guys out there uses these rotors? if so what do you think about them?

how do they compare to the brembo oe slotted rotors?

i plan on getting the axxis ultimates for all four corners. and the motel 600 fluid. and the rear rotors i will probley get the brembo oe slotted blanks if stop tech does not make any replacement for my rears.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:49 AM
D

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (Vampyre)

waste of money.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:50 AM
New User

do any of you guys out there uses these rotors?
Yes. I do.

if so what do you think about them?

how do they compare to the brembo oe slotted rotors?
With my stock one-piece rotors last year (my first with the car, which I bought new in March 2001), I was getting brake shudder and it was getting worse and worse. This is a common problem from track use, and happens as a result of the buildup of heat - there is some disagreement whether it's due to hot spots or actual warping of the rotor, but it happens. The shudder got so bad that I replaced them after 500 track miles (about five events, although a couple of them were relatively brief). I replaced them with the Stoptech rotors at my last track event last year.

This year I put ~1100 track miles (around eight events) on my R with the Stoptech rotors, and they are not shuddering at all. The advantage of the two-piece design is not only the ability to replace the outer "ring" of the rotor without the hub, but the fact that, with heat, the outer ring can expand because it's not fixed to the hub (hat) of the rotor.

So I already have twice the mileage without any shudder. Do I like them? Yes!!!

i plan on getting the axxis ultimates for all four corners. and the motel 600 fluid.
Talk with Andie at Cobalt. He's the "brake god". He knows a $h!tload about brakes, he sells products at great prices, and he's donating a share of sales from h-t ITR owners to the Expo. Oh, and he's a really nice guy.

If you're tracking your car (or driving it like it's on the track), there may be brake pads that are better suited for you than the Axxis Ultimates. Also, he is selling his own brand of brake fluid that has higher boiling temperatures (that means it's better) than Motul RBF 600 (although he'll be happy to sell you either one). Discuss with Andie.

the rear rotors i will probley get the brembo oe slotted blanks if stop tech does not make any replacement for my rears.
I would suggest you just leave the rear rotors alone, unless and until you run into a problem that requires replacing them.

In all my track experience (100+ track events on several cars), I have never had any problems with the rear brakes. (Due to weight transfer, most of the braking is done up front.) For example, on my NSX, I have driven perhaps 60 track events. I am now on my tenth set of front rotors. I replaced the first few sets due to shudder, then installed brake ducts, and replaced the other sets due to cracking (but that's okay, since I've been getting 8-10 track events per set). I only changed rear rotors once, early on, just for looks. I have had zero problems with the rear rotors, and they still are within spec for thickness. I am on my eleventh set of rear pads, so the rear brakes are getting used, but they don't have the heat problems that the fronts do.

I am still using my original rear rotors on my R.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (nsxtcjr)

a Big thanks to you.

i have pretty much decided on getting the stop tech rotors after reading a bunch more and reading what you just posted.

the reason i am replacing the rotors is cause they shudder very baddly after one lap around any track and its getting worse and anythime i brakefrom 80 or higher.

the reasson i was thinking about replacing the rear breaks is because i thought they where warped to. i had to change to my track tires one time then back to the street tires and i did not have my tourqe wrench with me and had to drive 300 miles back home. and thats when the shurddering started.

so i should just get oem honda rotors for the rear and throw the pads on the rear and thats it?

ohhh and do you use SS lines? besides pedal feal is there any real benfit?

besides stoptech.com and fastbreak.com is there any other place that carries these for a better price?

i just e-mail andie. thanks for your advice
Old 12-21-2002, 07:45 AM
New User

the reason i am replacing the rotors is cause they shudder very baddly after one lap around any track and its getting worse and anythime i brakefrom 80 or higher.
Replacing the front rotors should cure the shudder. However, if you replace them with one-piece rotors, you may just start the process all over again. With one-piece rotors on the NSX before I put the ducting in, I was finding that I would get about 4 events to a set of rotors. I would start feeling the shudder on the second event, and by the fourth it would get really bad. When I replaced the rotors, it went away entirely.

BTW, one thing to be aware of is that rotors (particularly front rotors) can crack from track use, and HOW they crack. I was having this happen with one-piece rotors; not yet with the StopTech rotors, but it's something to be aware of nonetheless. As the rotors get hot on the track and cool off afterwards, they can develop cracks. The cracks become worse when the rotors are cold; when you go on the track and the rotors heat up and expand, the cracks fill in. So you'll feel them more after the car has had a chance to cool down. You can see them with a visual inspection of the rotors, so do this before every track session. If you see hairline cracks, that's not cause for concern, but keep an eye on them. If the cracks get wide enough so that you can feel them with the edge of your fingernail, it's time to replace the rotors.

the reasson i was thinking about replacing the rear breaks is because i thought they where warped to. i had to change to my track tires one time then back to the street tires and i did not have my tourqe wrench with me and had to drive 300 miles back home. and thats when the shurddering started.
You might not need to replace your rear rotors at all. I would suggest just replacing the fronts. If the shudder is gone, there's no need to do anything in the rear. If it ain't broke...

so i should just get oem honda rotors for the rear and throw the pads on the rear and thats it?
If the rear pads need replacing, then do that. As I said, if the rear rotors aren't creating shudder and meet thickness specs and aren't out of round, just leave 'em alone. Otherwise, if you need to replace them, you could go with the OEM ones, or maybe PowerSlot slotted rotors. Although they will look funny because the PowerSlot slots go in the opposite direction from the StopTech rotors.

ohhh and do you use SS lines?
No. My pedal feel is fine with the stock lines. I've still got the original stock lines on my NSX and they're fine too.

besides pedal feal is there any real benfit?
I don't think so, but that's just my O. If you're interested, here is some good information about SS lines.

besides stoptech.com and fastbreak.com is there any other place that carries these for a better price?
Not that I'm aware of. I got mine directly from StopTech. They've given me good advice and support when I've needed it. BTW, if and when you order an extra set of the disks (the outer ring), don't forget to order a set of the hardware (the special screws and such that attach the ring to the hat). They told me that by e-mail when I ordered just the disks via their website.

i just e-mail andie. thanks for your advice

Old 12-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks again.

i will probley be ording all this stuff on monday. what did you pay for your front rotors? there website says $450.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:20 AM
New User

what did you pay for your front rotors? there website says $450.
Sounds right.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:40 AM
I said I don't want a title!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search. We talked about the stoptechs a few months ago.
Old 12-22-2002, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if anyone else has a opioin about these breaks plese post it thanks
Old 12-22-2002, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think yoshi has stop tech's????
Old 12-23-2002, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-23-2002, 06:33 AM
I shoot brides

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i have Stop Tech's big brake kit.

most think it's not needed or a waste of $$, but it was worth it for me considering how much trouble I had w/ the stock brakes.

Tried various pads and fluids, but nothing helped to prevent fading and mushiness on the stock brakes after the 2nd session at a track day.

Since going up to StopTech's kit, I haven't had to touch the brakes at the track

photo by: joker

yshi - whose sick as a dog, but is still at work today
Old 12-23-2002, 06:47 AM

Did you try searching? I remember writing a lot about my stoptechs.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:15 AM
New User

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (yoshi234)

i have Stop Tech's big brake kit.
Just to clarify - I have StopTech's two-piece rotors, but I am still using the stock calipers.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:22 AM
New User

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (Todd00)

Did you try searching? I remember writing a lot about my stoptechs.
I tried searching on the ITR forum on h-t for "Stop Tech" and for "Stoptech" and I found a couple of topics with photos showing the big brake kit (with caliper upgrade) but I didn't see anything about the two-piece rotors.

EDIT: Clarified that the search was on h-t.

[Modified by nsxtcjr, 3:49 PM 12/23/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:06 PM

I didn't see anything about the two-piece rotors.
http://www.stoptech.com/
select - "Products" on bottom menu
select - "2 Piece Sport Stop Rotor Kit" on Search Make/Year/Model:
select - "ACURA" click Search
select - "1998" click Search
select - "Type R" click Search

Results:

Performance AeroRotor Kit

Acura Integra Type R 1997-2000, 2 Piece directional floating Rotor Kit, 282mm x 25mm, 11.5mm Air Gap, Plain, 7075 T-6 Billet alumin Hat Installed with antirattle hardware, Rotor CAD Plated, Hat - Black anodized

$450 - Item No. 81-054-0101

--------------------------------------------

Performance AeroRotor Kit
Acura Integra Type R 1997-2000, 2 Piece Front Rotor Kit, 282mm x 25mm, 11.5mm Air Gap, Slotted - Floating Billet Hat Installed - Rotor - No Plating; Hat - Black

$430 - Item No. 81-054-0111

Edit: Hey, now my reply doesn't make sense. LOL

[Modified by RICHJ, 9:55 PM 12/23/2002]
Old 12-23-2002, 12:50 PM
New User

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (RICHJ)

I didn't see anything about the two-piece rotors.
No, I meant I didn't see anything about the two-piece rotors when I tried searching previous topics on h-t.com, as Todd00 suggested.

I edited my post above to make this clearer.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:03 PM

Discussion was in the autox/roadrace forum I believe. Search for slotted or stoptech or rotors or something and you'll find it. I would but I am too lazy right now
Old 12-23-2002, 01:41 PM
New User

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (Todd00)

Aha! Thanks. I think I found it:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=347812
Old 12-23-2002, 01:44 PM

Yep, that's the most recent on. There was an older one too.

And archived from 12/1/02 already? Damn.
Old 12-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

here is my question... if the kit on the fastbrakes website is for a type r, why does it have 4 wheel studs in the picture?
Old 12-23-2002, 08:21 PM
New User

Default Re: Stop Tech brakes??? (SlapSmak)

here is my question... if the kit on the fastbrakes website is for a type r, why does it have 4 wheel studs in the picture?
The picture of the Aerorotor kit looks kind of fuzzy to me, but I can assure you, it has five holes in the right places for the five lugs on the ITR. It's a direct bolt-on, just like putting on a regular one-piece rotor.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to say that this is a great thread, and I've been checking it regularly; thanks for all the info nsxtcjr.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 12-24-2002, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have no idea why it keeps posting that last thread i posted over and over again. i would stop it if i knew how.

yeay great thread this just goes to show how horrible clubsi.com is i posted the same thing there and got one crappy response for the webmaster and thats it.

http://forums.clubsi.com/showflat.ph...sb=5&o=0&fpart=

thanks for all your guys help i will be ording them after xmas if stoptech is open.

ohhh and on that bolt kit you where talking what MM are they? stoptech has not returned my e-mail yet so i am waiting on them to reply for a few answers.

and besides power slot are there any other companies of good quality that makes matching rear rotors. ie the slots going the same way as the stop tech's and are cad plated. i have looked around and i thought brembo made them but i guess not. fastbrakes.com makes his own from what the e-mail said that i got back from him and he recommended getting his 10.9" rotors for the rear. i know thats a bad idea caus oversizzing the rear would cause them to lock up even faster and it would throw the bais off.

i guess i got to wait for stop tech to get back with me.

ohhh thanks for the pic. i wish i could get the oversized ones but i dont want to splurge money on new rims when the itr's ones look great from the start.

and i am also still debating on getting the ss lines about 160 for stop techs lines.

[Modified by Vampyre, 2:58 PM 12/24/2002]

Quick Reply: Stop Tech brakes???