Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Stolen itr armrest on ebay.

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen itr armrest on ebay.

Saw this up on ebay. Anyone know how to contact original owner? Im sure they would love for this person to give this back

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-USDM-Integra-TYPE-R-BLACK-ARM-REST-CONSOLE-With-Badge-No-Reserve-/171696708941?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f9ebdd4d&vxp=mtr

https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...r-nova-138469/
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 AM
On vacation

Default Re: Stolen itr armrest on ebay.

Why do you think this armrest came from a stolen car?
Old 03-01-2015, 06:59 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by testify
The badge # probably matches the ITR that was stolen.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you read the thread i posted below you would have learned that itr 98-0178 was stolen.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering if it was stolen. I obviously didn't search as well as you did.. I found an old thread from when 98-0178 was broken into but somehow I missed the theft thread. I posted a heads up ad earlier this week too, so if nothing else at least a lot of people have seen it. Hope the owner chimes in.

Here's the ad I posted this week about it:
https://honda-tech.com/acura-integra...-ebay-3239935/
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 AM
On vacation

Originally Posted by John M
if you read the thread i posted below you would have learned that itr 98-0178 was stolen.
You mean stolen 13 years ago?

The original owner was surely paid for the car by his insurance company.

Even if this is an armrest from a theft, a decade and a half ago, this car has surely been recovered and sold again.

Either way, you are really making a giant leap if you think that armrest wasn't obtained legally, or that the original owner of this car has any legal or ethical right to this part.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You mean stolen 13 years ago?

The original owner was surely paid for the car by his insurance company.

Even if this is an armrest from a theft, a decade and a half ago, this car has surely been recovered and sold again.

Either way, you are really making a giant leap if you think that armrest wasn't obtained legally, or that the original owner of this car has any legal or ethical right to this part.
Doesn't matter if it was 13 years ago or a week ago. The original owner would definitely still be able to pursue a stolen serial numbered part. Even if the guy selling it was the tenth person down the line to buy it on Craigslist, even if he bought him from a PRIEST trying to raise money for cancer..the bottom line is that it was a stolen part. Since it is so easily identified by a unique serial number the police would still be warranted to recover the armrest on behalf of the owner.
That's why you shouldn't buy parts without knowing where they come from. Buying a stolen part from someone that doesn't tell you it was stolen does not make it a legal transaction. The ONLY scenario for someone to legally obtain this part is if the car was recovered without the badge being stolen, and the original owner were the one that sold it. Trust me, I had stolen serial numbered parts recovered on my behalf last year from someone that said they bought the stuff on Craigslist.
That being said, it's been 13 years.. It's very possible that the original owner could care less. But in the event that they do care, there is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to let the original owner know that more than a decade later parts from his stolen car are finally surfacing. I hope someone would do the same for me. If my badge were to surface in 13 years you better believe that I would want to know, and that I would make damn sure that I got it back. If nothing else maybe the new owner of the shell (if it was recovered) would be able to purchase the original badge for their car after seeing the heads up post.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:48 AM
no one wants to hear the truth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see testify is at it in here too.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:03 AM
On vacation

Originally Posted by Built2grind
Doesn't matter if it was 13 years ago or a week ago. The original owner would definitely still be able to pursue a stolen serial numbered part. Even if the guy selling it was the tenth person down the line to buy it on Craigslist, even if he bought him from a PRIEST trying to raise money for cancer..the bottom line is that it was a stolen part. Since it is so easily identified by a unique serial number the police would still be warranted to recover the armrest on behalf of the owner.
That's why you shouldn't buy parts without knowing where they come from. Buying a stolen part from someone that doesn't tell you it was stolen does not make it a legal transaction. The ONLY scenario for someone to legally obtain this part is if the car was recovered without the badge being stolen, and the original owner were the one that sold it. Trust me, I had stolen serial numbered parts recovered on my behalf last year from someone that said they bought the stuff on Craigslist.
That being said, it's been 13 years.. It's very possible that the original owner could care less. But in the event that they do care, there is absolutely nothing wrong with attempting to let the original owner know that more than a decade later parts from his stolen car are finally surfacing. I hope someone would do the same for me. If my badge were to surface in 13 years you better believe that I would want to know, and that I would make damn sure that I got it back. If nothing else maybe the new owner of the shell (if it was recovered) would be able to purchase the original badge for their car after seeing the heads up post.

The person who owned the car when it was stolen in 2002 would not have that right.

He signed the title over to his insurance company when they paid his claim in 2002.

It's not his car or his parts anymore.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The person who owned the car when it was stolen in 2002 would not have that right.

He signed the title over to his insurance company when they paid his claim in 2002.

It's not his car or his parts anymore.
Now I understand. You must be his insurance agent! Makes sense since you can confirm that he had comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. You should have said so in the first place. I'm actually looking for a good insurance policy right now, can you beat State Farm?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
On vacation

Now I understand. You must be his insurance agent! Makes sense since you can confirm that he had comprehensive coverage on the vehicle. You should have said so in the first place. I'm actually looking for a good insurance policy right now, can you beat State Farm?
What do you think the odds are that he DIDN'T have comprehensive on a 3 year old car that was worth more than $20,000?

Those odds are extremely low.

They are as low as the odds that he would have ANY right to this armrest.

Maybe the car was found intact?

Maybe thats the original owner selling the armrest.

Maybe the car has been legally bought and sold 10 times now.

Maybe, maybe, maybe.

The odds that the original owner from 2002 has any right to this armrest are miniscule.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bottom line is, if the owner of the car NOW, wants the original badge number for HIS/HER car now, it can possibly be returned to its car, seeing how there is only one of these made for every car. thats why the OP posted it. it seems
Old 03-01-2015, 02:34 PM
On vacation

Originally Posted by nogohatch
bottom line is, if the owner of the car NOW, wants the original badge number for HIS/HER car now, it can possibly be returned to its car, seeing how there is only one of these made for every car. thats why the OP posted it. it seems
Only if he pays for it.

If the current owner bought that ITR without that armrest, then he also has absolutely no claim to the armrest.

If the original owners insurance paid off on the car, then that insurance company is the only one that may have a claim to it.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one said he had claim to it, you made that part up since you want to argue and seem right about everything. your right, the new owner would have to pay to get his cars formerly stolen items.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you think the odds are that he DIDN'T have comprehensive on a 3 year old car that was worth more than $20,000?

Those odds are extremely low.

They are as low as the odds that he would have ANY right to this armrest.

And almost as low as the the odds that anyone would care about your opinion on the subject. You jumped in trying to be a smart @$$ about John not knowing if the car was stolen or not.. Shot down, the car was stolen. Since then all you've done is try to prove that you are right about something.. That you are right about anything. Besides you, all other parties on this thread were only interested in providing information. Why did you bother responding to this post at all? Because you have nothing better to do than sow discord and try to start arguments. This seems to be an ongoing trend for you. What did you have to gain from opening your mouth? Nothing.

The fact is we don't know the circumstances of what happened before or after the theft. There are limitless possibilities. Could the original owner be the person selling the badge? Yes. Could the original thief be selling the badge, or could some kid who bought the thing on Craigslist be selling it? Who knows. We could make assumptions or throw "what ifs" out until the end of time. What the rest of us were hoping to do was provide information to someone that was wronged or to the current owner of the vehicle. At the very least the original owner would find it interesting that his stolen badge showed up for sale on eBay in the same state it was stolen from. Who knows if or what that revelation could lead to for someone that has more information than we do. On the other end this information could give a new owner a chance to purchase the original badge to their car.

It's not like we called the police and accused someone of a crime, or went to the seller's house and jumped him. We simply provided information. No one ever said that the badge is legally free to whoever owns the shell or that someone can stake their claim like it's an undiscovered territory. Stop arguing with yourself and find a better way to spend your weekends.

Didn't your mother teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? You are THE definition of an internet troll. Get a life and go troll somewhere else. Thanks for making me sink to your level.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ What do you think should be done with the badge?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:26 PM
On vacation

And almost as low as the the odds that anyone would care about your opinion on the subject. You jumped in trying to be a smart @$$ about John not knowing if the car was stolen or not.. Shot down, the car was stolen. Since then all you've done is try to prove that you are right about something.. That you are right about anything. Besides you, all other parties on this thread were only interested in providing information. Why did you bother responding to this post at all? Because you have nothing better to do than sow discord and try to start arguments. This seems to be an ongoing trend for you. What did you have to gain from opening your mouth? Nothing.

The fact is we don't know the circumstances of what happened before or after the theft. There are limitless possibilities. Could the original owner be the person selling the badge? Yes. Could the original thief be selling the badge, or could some kid who bought the thing on Craigslist be selling it? Who knows. We could make assumptions or throw "what ifs" out until the end of time. What the rest of us were hoping to do was provide information to someone that was wronged or to the current owner of the vehicle. At the very least the original owner would find it interesting that his stolen badge showed up for sale on eBay in the same state it was stolen from. Who knows if or what that revelation could lead to for someone that has more information than we do. On the other end this information could give a new owner a chance to purchase the original badge to their car.

It's not like we called the police and accused someone of a crime, or went to the seller's house and jumped him. We simply provided information. No one ever said that the badge is legally free to whoever owns the shell or that someone can stake their claim like it's an undiscovered territory. Stop arguing with yourself and find a better way to spend your weekends.

Didn't your mother teach you that if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all? You are THE definition of an internet troll. Get a life and go troll somewhere else. Thanks for making me sink to your level.

If you think I'm trolling, then you don't know the definition of the word.

I'm not posting to 'get people to take the bait', or to start trouble.

It's not called trolling simply because you don't like my tone.

I was correcting the exact same ridiculous assumptions you went on to correct in your post, almost word for word.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You all have too much free time. More garage less Honda tech