Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question

For those that bought the Spoon N1 coilovers: did they come with springs or did you have to pay extra for springs. I have heard before that you just get the dampers and have to pay $75 a piece extra for springs. But i noticed on A&J's site that they seem to come with either 14k/12k or 18k/16k springs. Anyone know for sure?
Old 03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (CanadianR)

bought mine with springs...but selln the springs they came with too stiff...most of the n1's sold are going to come with the springs that they are ordered with.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Global Moderator

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (Kicker773)

The springs must be purchased separately.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (Reid)

ok i got two different answers on that one. I'm inclined to believe Reid, as he seems to be quite knowledgeable, but it would be nice if someoene could confirm that for me.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CanadianR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok i got two different answers on that one. I'm inclined to believe Reid, as he seems to be quite knowledgeable, but it would be nice if someoene could confirm that for me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I purchased the setup new, and I believe the other poster purchased it used. That's why there are two different answers.

When one purchases a Spoon adjustable damper kit one must also purchase springs separately. One could purchase the springs from Spoon or opt to purchase springs from another manufacturer.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (Reid)

alright then. So i guess the price A&J quoted me on them was without springs then. Incidentally Reid, what rates are you using and how long have you had them? Are you happy with them? I haven't been able to find a whole lot of info on them, so any feedback i could get from you would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2005, 11:49 PM

there are two spoon dampers. the fix type and the height adjustable type. the fix type is yellow while the height adjustable version is black

the fix type only comes optional with springs

the height adjustable type already has springs
Old 03-14-2005, 12:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (carbing'ed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by carbing’ed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are two spoon dampers. the fix type and the height adjustable type. the fix type is yellow while the height adjustable version is black

the fix type only comes optional with springs

the height adjustable type already has springs</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually unless Spoon has changed their policy, and from what I learned when I was there, they haven't .....

Both yellow (fixed) and adjustable (black) have the option of being purchased with or without springs.

Also, Spoon has released a new damper....so there is a total of 3 types now. Yellow, Black and Gold/Bronze'ish

Shane, I suggest you use nothing crazier than 16/14 perhaps even a 14/12 with where you live. I had 18/16 and it was fun, but definately not very comfy on the street.

Old 03-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (RagingAngel)

yeah definitely not comfortable..can't wait for my springs to come in this week.. then i'll them on by the end of the week.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

According to SpoonEuropes web site both fixed and adjustable dampers are sold on their own, springs rated from 8kg to 24kg have to be purchased separately, this is the same on takakaira
Old 03-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Don't judge or question

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just buy my n1's and they come with the springs. Btw, Kicker773 bought his n1's through me. Thats why his came with the springs.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Spoon N1 damper owners: quick question (RagingAngel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RagingAngel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually unless Spoon has changed their policy, and from what I learned when I was there, they haven't .....

Both yellow (fixed) and adjustable (black) have the option of being purchased with or without springs.

Also, Spoon has released a new damper....so there is a total of 3 types now. Yellow, Black and Gold/Bronze'ish

Shane, I suggest you use nothing crazier than 16/14 perhaps even a 14/12 with where you live. I had 18/16 and it was fun, but definately not very comfy on the street.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK i just called A&J and the price they quoted was without springs. So now i'm gonna have to figure out if i can afford them. Patrick: yeah, i was thinking of getting the 14k/12k and maybe switching it up and running 12k/14k. I'm basing alot of my decision on what you told me about them. Will i be as happy with them as i think? I'm looking to buy these and hopefully never buy another set again.
Since you're around Patrick, i could use some good advice on buying these: you know what our streets are like. I do alot of autocross and am hoping to do 3-4 HPDE's a year and either next summer or 2 summers from now i'd like to get into Solo I. From the info i can get on these and what i've read, they seem to be just the thing for me. The only negative i CAN find is the price.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (spids5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spids5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You can just buy my n1's and they come with the springs. Btw, Kicker773 bought his n1's through me. Thats why his came with the springs.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm gonna give that some serious thought. If only they came with 14k/12k springs i'd be all over them. But as it sits, i'll still have to buy springs for these too, as our streets are awful around here.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CanadianR)

yep you should buy his set good guy...i picked up a set of swift springs from ben from aj, he should have those springs in.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: (Kicker773)

i'm pretty sure i'm gonna buy them from him. Did yours have any rusty looking spots on them? One of these has what looks like some surface rust on the top of the damper body. Is that something i should worry about?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

specify? i'm not sure what your referring to. Pics would help
Old 03-14-2005, 08:29 PM
Don't judge or question

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kicker773 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">specify? i'm not sure what your referring to. Pics would help </TD></TR></TABLE>

Here is the pic he is talking about. I'm actually going to clean the shocks and add a protectant to the metal before I sell them.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spids5)

mine i believe has a little bit of that too as well.. i dont think that will affect its performance just needs to be cleaned.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:15 PM

i wasn't really worried about the performance being affected right now. I was mainly worried about it getting out of hand and affecting their longevity. But i'm not worried anymore, as he said he could remove it and apply a protectant. By the way, what spring rate did you go with on the Swifts? I think i'm gonna just go with Spoons, as my suspension guru says the Swifts don't fit all that well on the N1 perches.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ben sells both the swift springs and the spoon springs as well as the n1's. So if they had issues fitting he would have not recommended them to me. I picked up a set of 10k and 8k for spring rates since our roads here are horrible. I'll find out in a few days if they do have issues fitting but i know someone else on the board who is running swift springs on the n1's and he's luvin them with no problems whatsoever.
Old 03-15-2005, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo CUZ!!! when you available to get our photoshot taken? ... got my takata

installed and its a bitch to put in my S2 ... the guy have to fabricate a

bracket .. hit me up when
Old 03-15-2005, 07:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kicker773 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ben sells both the swift springs and the spoon springs as well as the n1's. So if they had issues fitting he would have not recommended them to me. I picked up a set of 10k and 8k for spring rates since our roads here are horrible. I'll find out in a few days if they do have issues fitting but i know someone else on the board who is running swift springs on the n1's and he's luvin them with no problems whatsoever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The guy who gave me that advice knows his stuff, he's tried alot of different setups and combinations as i'm sure Ben has, but hopefully everything works out fine with them. I'm gonna go with the Spoon 14k/12k, they actually had them in stock, so i went with them. I betcha our roads are worse than yours, haha. Let me know what you think when you get them on the aRR! I'll give you my take on them when i get mine. Unfortunately it'll be a few months till i get to do an HPDE, but at least i'll get to try a bunch of autocrosses until then
Old 03-16-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

got some info on why some of the swift springs don't work with the n1's. I spoke to ben from aj racing and asked him about it and here is what he told me:

"Hi Paul,

People were having problems with SWIFT springs is because they order
the
springs in 180mm length but the ones I sent you were 200mm in length
and you
will have no problems with them. I used to run them with my Spoon
dampers so
don't worry.

Regards,
Ben Leung"

hope that helps and tell ur guru friend to as well
Old 03-17-2005, 05:22 PM

hmmm.... sounds like a pretty feasible explanation as to why the guru's seemed to have a difference of opinion. Incidentally, how much did your swift's cost you? I'm hoping i didn't get raped on the Spoon's compared to the Swifts
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the swifts are much more expensive than the spoon springs but imo its awesome. Its on the car finally, i'll try to get pics tomorrow when it stops raining...i freakn got the blue springs dirty