Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States?

My friend is selling his car and he keeps bitchin about wanting an R, but theres probably no NEW r's for sale...so i suggested importing from canada and he's claiming an insane amount of customs and duty fees...anyone know how much ? or has anyone done this before?
Old 10-28-2001, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (Toda Party)

I was looking into the same thing a couple of months ago and this is what I learned: The car cannot be warrantied in the US. It does meet emissions, but if it isn't new [i.e. non-titled] - and it won't be - you must prove that it does meet emissions stds of the US. I think I had to pay 3% for the first thousand dollars [value/price paid for the car] and 1% for every thousand dollars on top of that.

I wanted a CW car with the MOMO wheel but Honda/Acura does not allow dealerships to sell the car to US citizens in Canada. You'll need to have someone else purchase the car and sell it to you.
Old 10-28-2001, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (KJR)

I wanted a CW car with the MOMO wheel but Honda/Acura does not allow dealerships to sell the car to US citizens in Canada. You'll need to have someone else purchase the car and sell it to you.
What MOMO wheel??? I have a 01 CW Canadian R and I don't have a momo wheel....
but I do have the red seats.

It was pretty funny because when I when to get my 01 R, I wanted to see if he could get a black R from US...I asked the salesmen and he just laughed at me and told me it was impossible...........ummmmmmmmmmm........

[Modified by Crunch, 8:40 AM 10/28/2001]
Old 10-28-2001, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (Crunch)

This is an interesting discussion...

Theres a few dealers here in NW Washington state that were buying Honda Odyssey's and S2000's en masse and selling them here in the states to meet initial demand. The S2000's had heated side mirrors and came with the full 36K/36mo warrany. Same with the minivan. There was no additional dealer surcharge (specific to it being a Canadian Vehicle), unless it was "Adjusted Market Value" markup that most Honda dealers add.

Try telling an S2000 owner that they dont have a warranty becasue they bought a Canadian car from a US dealer.

Also, I had a 92 Frost White Honda Civic Si Hatchback - that started life as a Canadian car. Bought in mid 92, brought to the states, Idaho to be specific, and titled there. Only way to tell is cluster is USDM, and it looks like the SRS system was removed, although the car was in a mild accident, so no telling there.

Anyhow, I'm sure its possible, just not sure if its cost effective,
Demian
Old 10-28-2001, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (KJR)

I was looking into the same thing a couple of months ago and this is what I learned: The car cannot be warrantied in the US. It does meet emissions, but if it isn't new [i.e. non-titled] - and it won't be - you must prove that it does meet emissions stds of the US. I think I had to pay 3% for the first thousand dollars [value/price paid for the car] and 1% for every thousand dollars on top of that.

well i think toronto dealers have a couple new R's for sale. using 24,500 as the price in USD.... 3% of 1000 = $30 ... 1% 1000 x 23.5 = 235...265 dollars...thats it?? or am i doing this wrong...maybe 10%?

[Modified by Toda Party, 12:20 AM 10/29/2001]
Old 10-28-2001, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Warranty would not be an issue if you live close to Canada...like Detroit...just drive (or tow) your car to Canada to get warranty work done. Dealers won't void the warranty the car just because it is plated in the United States (I think).

Old 10-28-2001, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (Tommy_Gunns)

yeah we're in buffalo, TO is only like 1 hour away...altho all of north america should be available for warranty work whether it be canada or us...oh well
Old 10-28-2001, 03:31 PM
New User

Default Re: So how much do you think it would cost to import a Canadian R into the States? (Toda Party)

Just how much would you guy's be willing to pay for a used 01 with 15,000 km's

Enough to finance my WRX? heh heh
Old 11-27-2001, 06:06 PM
New User

http://www.customs.ustreas.gov/imp-e...formal/car.htm
http://www.hqusareur.army.mil/opm/cars.htm