Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

S2k push start button question...

Old 09-18-2015, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2k push start button question...

I am considering doing an s2k push start button for ***** and giggs, I've never really liked the fact that a key is still necessary to start the car, unlike the newer cars where the key fob just needs to be in proximity of the car and then a touch of the push start button.

In my province certain vehicles considered "high risk" for theft are required to have a vehicle immobilizer in order to qualify for auto insurance, and of course integras are on that list.

My question is, since the immobilizer transponder is needed to start my car, is there any way to wire a push start button to work without having the key in the ignition and in the on position?

That way I could just jump in my car with the transponder on my keychain and hit the push start button once the immobilizer is disarmed.

Before anyone starts giving me **** let me again say that the car won't start without the immobilizer disarmed, the immobilizer was installed by Manitoba public insurance, so it's not just some crappy immobilizer, and most importantly my ITR is never out of my sight and never parked anywhere but my garage, everything is secure, and my ITR is a pleasure vehicle so I never have to park it anywhere unsafe, so theft is not a concern for me whatsoever.

If it's not possible I will just wire it up the regular way, to operate in conjunction with the key, but with an immobilizer the key is really just redundant.

Thanks dudes
Old 09-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: S2k push start button question...

You can buy key fob setups to do exactly this. I've considered but wasn't sure on reliability compared to factory cars having it. The problem is that you will still retain the factory ignition switch. I'm sure you could get crafty and eliminate it totally with a new electronic system. Again reliability and the worst case scenario of it failing and you not being able to start your car. I'm in for more!
Old 09-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done several installs using units by a company called "Advanced Keys" out of Canada. I've had one in my own car for two r three years with no issues.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a ignited push start button on my 00 R when I bought it , if you want it let me know I still have it with relay !
Old 09-20-2015, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Umm... what about the mechanical steering lock?

I'm sure there is a way to set some kind of bluetooth receiver w/relay to make the button work like most new car fob setups.. but that won't help you with the steering lock... so unless you plan on only driving straight - bad idea.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boarderfatty
Umm... what about the mechanical steering lock?

I'm sure there is a way to set some kind of bluetooth receiver w/relay to make the button work like most new car fob setups.. but that won't help you with the steering lock... so unless you plan on only driving straight - bad idea.
I didn't go into enough detail with my original post. The plan is to put the start button in place of the ignition, right in the hole where the key goes.

Iirc the steering lock is tied into the ignition all as one piece. I've seen it done I just can't recall where it was but it was in an ek I believe.

I'll continue to research it, and I'll let u guys know what I find.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you saw a video of it in a midori hatch, it was probably mine. I use a viper alarm to activate the system.

As for the steering lock? It comes out once the ignition tumbler is removed.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VegaS10
If you saw a video of it in a midori hatch, it was probably mine. I use a viper alarm to activate the system.

As for the steering lock? It comes out once the ignition tumbler is removed.
Yup it was a midori hatch so I'm sure it was yours thanks for the info