Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

R BEING STOLEN

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2001, 05:36 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R BEING STOLEN

ITR owner should know better. R's keep getting stolen and seems like some owner still won't learn and think that it will never happen to them. I am saying that because whenever an R being stolen, you ask the person if the car has a good alarm system, they usually don't. Or only has the basic stuff eg. siren, backup siren, hoodpin etc... I really want to ask, don't you learn???? R keep getting stolen and that's all you have on your car... well, too bad, even if it's not stolen now, it will be stolen eventually!!!! Also, if you leave an R out-door overnight, I know maybe there is nothing really you can do because you don't have a garage, but I mean it almost comes to the point that, it's a must. It will be gone eventually if it's parked outside overnight.

I BEG ALL THE ITR OWNERS, PLEASE LOCK UP YOUR CAR, SPEND MONEY ON SECURITY BEFORE MODS... Or you may never have a chance to mod the car. Thiefs will never stop, you should know better. One thief is arrested, another one will arise. So, you are the one who is responsible to protect your car, no one else will do it for you, the police won't care, the insurance won't care....

My R was stolen awhile ago and I learned my lesson. If you want to keep the car for good, don't think that I am BS. Be realistic, it has happened to me, it can happen to you. Don't assume you are in a safe area, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOUR ITR. I DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH. Good Luck!!!!
Old 11-24-2001, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (citanest)

I'm already convinced my R will be stolen someday, and thats just the way is, thats what comes with owning an R. F#$@ all the extra security crap, if they want it, they'll get it PERIOD and
BTW, my R spents its nights outside, usually by the curb. I'll just enjoy the time I'm having with it now, to the fullest!!
Old 11-24-2001, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Security systems are almost a complete waste of money. There have been lots of Type-Rs stolen with a whole host of expensive alarm systems, including LoJacks and GPS tracking systems. Remember if your $22k Type-R is stolen with a $2k alarm system, you have lost $24k not $22k.

2000+ ITRs have an ignition immoboliser system that will deter the casual thief. Anybody with the expertise to disable this system will be more than capable of disabling any alarm system.

The sad truth is that Type-Rs that are not in locked garages have a ridiculously high probability of being stolen.
Old 11-24-2001, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (KooKaT)

I keep mine locked up at night in a garage but where i live, it doesnt matter where it is, or how good the security is. They will drag them off with a tow truck with the alarm blaring. Or even break into your house to open the garage.
My advise, GET INSURANCE. thats what its for. I think part of the problem is the demand for stolen parts. If there werent so many ***** ***** out there that wanted "hot" Type R parts, there would be no demand, thus no supply. But until these little no job having butt ******* get a life, we will have to worry about not having a ride to work some mornings.
Old 11-24-2001, 08:01 PM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (FULLTHROTTLE)

laugh about alarms all you want but an alarm + carcover + pager = car you can't touch without paging the owner and that works for me.... i can't STRESS how IMPORTANT a PAGER is for your alarm system, your fancy alarm does you no good if you can't tell it's going off... truth be told a lot of alarms sound the same, especially the cheap ones, my pager has like a good mile/mile and a half radius and goes through concrete just fine i think it uses fm band as well.... works like a charm, that with a good alarm that doesn't send false positives(ie goes off when a bug flies by) and you're set -rob
Old 11-24-2001, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Even though I own a Prelude, I'm afraid to tell you that even if you have an alarm system, your car can still be stolen. They can easily pop your hood without even opening your car. Alarm system only a warning to people who know what they are doing. If they pop your hood, they just find the siren and disconnect it and bye bye alarm siren. The best way to stop your car from being stolen is parking it in the garage, but if you can't, atleast buy that new thing they have out for your pedal. Its like the club, but its for your pedal and they can't cut through it. If they really want it though, they'd have to tow it away. The club is nothing but a joke to car theifs. All they do is cut the steering wheel and theres goes the club. Best advice is to keep you car parked in the garage with a mean *** dog tied up to it
Old 11-24-2001, 08:30 PM
New User

I consider all these are basic stuff and have no use to a real thief: Lojack, club, clifford, viper, alpine, pager, hood-pin, fuel cut. When I say invest on security system, I am referring to some real kicking-*** security system. I have found a few nice one on the internet. Do some research, I don't think it a good ideal to throw all them out here for discussion.

Insurance company is not salvation army. Repeated incidences of stolen vehicles are not going to be an advantage to the insurer. I can understand when you say "if they want it, they will get it". New BMW, Mercedes always have new security systems which clarm to be undefeated but eventually, there are still being stolens. However, a larger and larger portion of these stolen vehciles are car-jacked, which mean the thiefs will always have a way to get your car if they really want to. That still doesn't stop BMW and Mercedes keep inventing new security systems for their cars. The bottom line is there is no the best security system, just research and keep upgrading the security systems just like the thiefs ungrading their stealing knowledge. Maybe some of you can afford to lose an R and get another one, but this is not the case to many other R owners. People save their *** to get a used R and even if the insurnace pay them back, I am sure it won't be enough to get another used R. I think some of you should give some more unbiased advices.

[Modified by citanest, 10:05 PM 11/24/2001]
Old 11-24-2001, 08:47 PM
New User

You're a damn idiot if you buy an ITR and street park. Even an indoor apartment complex parking lot shared by many others is sorta foolish. Safest and still not thiefproof depending is a private garage.

-guy with 3 hondas stolen and 2 vandalized.
Old 11-24-2001, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (winglessR)

I'm already convinced my R will be stolen someday, and thats just the way is, thats what comes with owning an R. F#$@ all the extra security crap, if they want it, they'll get it PERIOD and
BTW, my R spents its nights outside, usually by the curb. I'll just enjoy the time I'm having with it now, to the fullest!!
Old 11-24-2001, 10:33 PM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (SoCal ITR)

You can do all you want with alarms, kill switches, ...etcIf someone really wants it they'll follow you to your home or work and take it with a tow truck. Not much will stop one of those.
Old 11-24-2001, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I consider all these are basic stuff and have no use to a real thief: Lojack, club, clifford, viper, alpine, pager, hood-pin, fuel cut. When I say invest on security system, I am referring to some real kicking-*** security system
I think we're all jaded from seeing soo many go. After a while you become numb to it. I remember reading here last year, some guy had, in adition to his alarm, a GPS connected to a laptop connected to a cellphone that dialed his server every 15 minutes with the location of his car. It was all hiden under the hatchback. Guess what. It was stolen, and he never saw it again. Another guy had lojac, fuel cutoff, and a viper alarm. Stolen and never seen again. Another guy, parked in a driveway BEHIND another car. Wakes up, other car is in middle of street and his is gone. Its hopeless man.

[Modified by jond, 3:03 AM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 01:07 AM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (jond)

My R stays outside every night. I don't have a alarm on my car. It has never been messed with in my driveway. I have a garage, but there is a boat and my Sea-Doo XP in there as well. There is no room for my car. The only thing that could possibly happen to it on my drive is get broken into or vandalized. If someone wants to steal my car, they are going to have to steal the other two cars parked behind it first. It's a pain in the *** to move cars around all the time, but it helps.

I don't understand all the **** that happens to all of your cars. Just move to Louisville and it will solve all you problems. Now that I posted this my **** will be gone when I get up in the morning.
Old 11-25-2001, 02:39 AM

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (COREY ITR#625)

ive never had my ITR broken into, but i had my 93' LS broken into about 15 times and stolen twice (recoever both times). Good thing it hasnt happened yet, but i think im seriously gonna cry when (yeah, and i mean when) my ITR gets stolen.

**** YOU THEIVES!!!!!!!!!!! If it was up to me, it would be legal to shoot and kill someone if you caught them breaking into your car. That is just the worse way you can be violated.

BTW, how many of you here have been followed by what might have been theives? Its happened to me twice already

[Modified by FusionType-R, 3:40 AM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 05:58 AM
Trial User

As my sig says this is my second car. The first ITR was stolen, granted it WAS my fault. But the second one has security up the ***: here it goes Clifford concept W/ all options, Twin lojacks both WELDED in very hard to find places. And since my town does not have Lojack service, I was able to attain my own tracker. Also after my First ITR was stolen I decided to move. I bought a house with no Garage. But what is cool about it is that when you leave my home there is only one way in and out. That takes about 4min to drive if you are going REAL fast, and it raps around so at the 4 min mark you come back around past my house on the other side of the vally. About 100 yards from my house. So, I'm orry for this but, If you take my car. I will get up throw my clothes on, Light a smoke, Grab my gun and head out. On the other side of the vally the Thief or tow operator WILL stop or catch a bullet in the head. Is a car worth taking a life for? NO but I would give him everyoption to stop. At the point I know he is not going to stop and he is trying to run me down it becomes self defence. I would be protecting my self at that point and THAT is worth taking a life for.

[Modified by cetane, 7:04 AM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 07:32 AM

I agree...I'm fortunate to have a garage to park my R in, but still, my car doesn't live in the garage. Every R is at risk. Lo jack, basic car alarm, it doesn't matter....a thief is a thief no matter what part of the world you are in.
Old 11-25-2001, 08:32 AM
New User

i was just wonderin'.. u know on mercedes benz they have a laser to turn on tha car.. don't u think they'll come out with a kit or sumthing for that. or sumthin' like dat.. so R's can be turn'd on by Laser's not key's.. and for that club kinda thing that goes on tha pedal.. that's tha easiest one.. u cut tha pedal.. .. and how. take care.. yall
Old 11-25-2001, 08:35 AM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (iNteKra)

and also you know how acura honda key's have those short little teeth's on tha key.. like crx key's.. they can be put into an accord.. and be open'd... it's all honda's fault.!!
Old 11-25-2001, 11:38 AM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (iNteKra)

speakin' of stealin'.. once again.. i ran into this.. http://www.powerlock.com
i saw this on crank and chrome.. and tha installation and also for tha price of 249.99 really worth it.. tha other only way to steal your car.. is tow it.. other then that.. weld tha tow hitch away.. shave your door handle's.. loll dunno.. (juss sum thought'z)
http://www.powerlock.com
Old 11-25-2001, 11:50 AM
jmb

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (Hondaman)

You're a damn idiot if you buy an ITR and street park. Even an indoor apartment complex parking lot shared by many others is sorta foolish. Safest and still not thiefproof depending is a private garage
maybe you are the damn i***t for not living in a safer neighbourhood/county/city/state where your car can be parked safely. Like someone else said, move to Louisville.

jmb
Old 11-25-2001, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking at that powerlock thing and its a peice of junk for people with a manual transmission cause they will just roll the car and pop it into gear!

Could you elaborate on this kookat?
Old 11-25-2001, 12:43 PM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (JDM_DC2R)

Could you elaborate on this kookat?
I can do that for him... Ever push started a standard? For an easy do-at-home demonstration, park on a bit of a hill... Get into the car, turn the ignition on and put it in first. Allow the car to roll forward and let out the clutch so the engine has to spin. It'll start. It's just as easy to push-start yourself on the tiniest of inclines...

A fellow I know ran a 5 speed for 6 months with no starter... (He was an idiot, as you might suspect) but he didn't need one...

Old 11-25-2001, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was looking at that powerlock thing and its a peice of junk for people with a manual transmission cause they will just roll the car and pop it into gear!
Not to mention, from the looks of it, the brains of the unit at inside the car. I would guess the brains looks at the key signal and if its the right one it send the electrical current to the lock on the starter. You could bypass it by just reaching behind the unit with a battery and send a current yourslef, unless the lock on the starter also has 'brains' to it, but being that its subject to heat I doupt it does.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:25 PM
New User

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (jond)

The only reason I would buy a alarm is if I had something in my car to steal like a cd player (but then again that is why you buy a detachable face) or other stuff like that. I have a V-AFC, but it is not mounted to where people see it. Also, what makes people break into cars is window tint. Theives think you are hiding something when you have dark *** tint on your car. That is why I am going to get 35% on mine if it gets tinted. My buddies SI just got broken into (had limo tint on it) and there was nothing taken, but I gaurentee it would not have been broken into if they could have seen in his windows. You could see where the thief wiped the dew off his window trying to see inside. Don't get me wrong, there are cars stolen here, but they are cars with 20" dubs on it like Navigators, Escalades, Suburbans, Impala SS, and G-rides like that.

Come to think about it. When my buddy totaled his R, it sat at the dealer where it was accesable (outside the fence of the body shop) for a week and no one bothered it. Not touched at all, and it was sitting in plain vien off a busy street. Then when it went to the salvage yard, it sat right next to the fence for a month before someone bothered it. The only thing that was stolen off it was the valve cover and the cams. All the rest was sold for dirt cheap. Seats $300, wheelsw/brand new Kumho's $500, and the whole swap without valve cover and cams $2200.

I'd still say move to Louisville and your problems will be solved and you will have someone to hang out with.

[Modified by COREY ITR#625, 2:32 PM 11/25/2001]
Old 11-25-2001, 01:37 PM
New User

I feel so sorry about this, citanest.
Just wondering, is your car stock or jdm look or heavily modded?
Cause I was wondering will a heavily modded or jdm look ITR will have a higher chance to get stolen in Toronto due to more stuff to part out?
Will a stock R have a better chance to "stay"?
Old 11-25-2001, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: R BEING STOLEN (ITR #01-1203)

My 95 Integra was stolen with an alarm, so if a thief wants your car they will get it. I value my ITR but if they want it they can take it. I know this is the wrong attitude to have but **** happens

Quick Reply: R BEING STOLEN