Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Problems with cold start-up and idle (98 Spec B18C)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with cold start-up and idle (98 Spec B18C)

What's up HT,

Recently been having some issues with cold start up and slight idle fluctuation on my 98 spec swap. What's happening is the car starts up fine but idles extremely low for the first 30 seconds, around 400-500 RPM. It slowly swells to 1500 RPM and then drops to 1100 RPM where it then warms up and settles down to around 750-900 RPM. The idle slightly fluctuates and never wants to sit at a set point, it can be at 900 or 750 the lowest once warm. Sometimes coming to a stop it'll stick at 1500 RPM and then drop slowly to 750-900 RPM once I come to a complete stop.

So far I have done:
Hand over throttle body at idle to check for vacuum leaks, it stalled right away indicating to me that there are no leaks
ECT and sending unit replaced, car was having a problem where it always read cold. This helped the car when it is warm already quite a bit, but no effect on my cold start issue.
IACV cleaned thoroughly, along with the ports for the IACV on the Intake Manifold. They were quite gunked up.
Reset the ECU after all of this, did the proper procedure.

Notable things:
Car is a 1995 (OBD1) with a 98 Spec, runs on a Hondata S300 with a stock tune for a 98 Spec B18C Type R
NO CEL
Cleaning the IACV helped the fluctuating idle for about an hour, then it started doing it again, for the one hour the car would always drop consistently to 800+/- RPM when I pushed the clutch in to come to a stop, afterwards it was doing the slight 750-900 fluctuation
The fluctuation is only for around 10 seconds then it levels out
Sometimes the car takes a little bit too long to crank, but it always starts just with the low idle.
When warm the car starts perfectly with no issues whatsoever
Seems to have some white smoke coming out the exhaust, I have no cat though. No loss of coolant/oil and no mixing of coolant/oil. This smoke could only have to do with lack of cat and the cold weather but figured I'd make a note of it.
Unplugging the MAP sensor/Unplugging the IACV both cause the car to die
The car runs pretty rich, and gets around 20-23 MPG and I mostly do highway

I'm more concerned about my cold start-up as it isn't exactly pleasant, and this car is my daily. I have heard of people saying the ECT could have an effect on the cold start but for me it did not, it solved other issues I had though.

Could this be ignition related? The spark plugs I have in there I'll admit aren't meant for the Type R, I just put in an order for NGK PFR7G-11's which are OEM for the JDM B18C. Could it be ignition timing? The car has a very slight crackling/sputter sound at the exhaust at idle, even when the idle is level. I haven't checked the ignition timing since I did the swap during the summer.

Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the book guys! Thanks!