Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 07:59 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot?

Hey Guys,

I was talking to my girlfriend last night about finding the area under the dyno curve to get some kind of number, which would be more valuable than the peak numbers. If it were possible to get a number for the area, it would make lining up dyno charts and overlaying them like I've seen in some of the great header test threads pointless, as one header's under-curve area would be greater than the other, making a better header.

It's been a while since I took a highschool math class, but I think the best way to go about doing this would be if you could get the X Y coordinates of the dyno line, then use a scatter plot to find all the areas? Are the Dynojet files you get for your computer essentially just a listing of coordinates, or are they more than that? A better question would be why existing dynos don't automatically calculate this data for you?

This is just something I was thinking about last night... wanted to see what you guys thought
Old 03-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot? (io_burn)

i think you could just print torque/hp for every rpm instead of the graph, so you dont have to x,y every point on the graph. - i'm not sure which dyno software allows that, or maybe all of them can do that.

Hey Guys,

I was talking to my girlfriend last night about finding the area under the dyno curve to get some kind of number, which would be more valuable than the peak numbers. If it were possible to get a number for the area, it would make lining up dyno charts and overlaying them like I've seen in some of the great header test threads pointless, as one header's under-curve area would be greater than the other, making a better header.

It's been a while since I took a highschool math class, but I think the best way to go about doing this would be if you could get the X Y coordinates of the dyno line, then use a scatter plot to find all the areas? Are the Dynojet files you get for your computer essentially just a listing of coordinates, or are they more than that? A better question would be why existing dynos don't automatically calculate this data for you?

This is just something I was thinking about last night... wanted to see what you guys thought
Old 03-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot? (io_burn)

uhhh, you have x and y coordinates. X= hp or torque, y=RPM. if rpm=2500, what is HP?. you can use this on any dyno chart and plug in any car to compare outputs.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot? (SlapSmak)

You can just use photoshop to overlay dyno plots together.

edit- But finding the actual area, I guess would depend on how good of resolution you'd want to do (taking more time) and would have to make sure you used the same resolution for every dyno chart or it will give different results.

[Modified by SurferX, 9:56 AM 3/8/2003]
Old 03-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes the info can exported to a tab delimted file which can be interpreted by MS Excel

[Modified by markpaco, 6:01 PM 3/8/2003]
Old 03-08-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot? (markpaco)

[QUOTE]yes the info can exported to a tab delimted file which can be interpreted by MS Excel[QUOTE]

And that's when the fun begins
Old 03-08-2003, 10:33 AM
New User

Default Re: Is it possible to get a list of X Y coordinates from a dyno plot? (Ausmith)

Am I wrong in thinking that the area would be a much better number than the peak numbers?
Old 03-08-2003, 12:15 PM
New User

Depends on your application. You need to look at potential shift points for the situation. For example, if you are dragging you do not care about what's below 3k.

Area is better.

*wish I had a gf that discussed my dynos with me*