Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Pedal Extentions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Accident Prone

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pedal Extentions?

So after my first track day this past Friday, I was disappointed in my inability to heel toe for these reasons:

1. The pedals were too far apart for a side-by-side action
2. My knee would bang the bottom of the steering wheel hub if I tried to do it the heel-toe way
3. If I moved the seat back, I would not be in a good driving position (I have long legs and relatively short arms)

I talked to a few other drivers and they suggested these things:

1. Getting a racing seat that places me lower in the car
2. Getting a racing steering wheel with a smaller-diameter steering wheel hub so when I twist to heel-toe, my knee has more room to maneuver
3. Getting different pedals/gas pedal extension so I can side-by-side

I don't want to do 1 or 2 because of cost and the supporting modifications needed. So now I'm stuck with option 3: different pedals/gas pedal extension.

I talked to the son of one of the instructors at the event and he said that getting a pedal set won't really work because the pedals in the Integra are fairly far apart to do side-by-side so if the new pedals aren't much wider than the stock, it would be a waste of money. So now I'm left with gas pedal extension such as this (for the Miata): http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=21-74900

My question: where to find one of these for the Integra's gas pedal? I've also read that the Mugen set actually has a wider gas pedal so that would help?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Pedal Extentions?

Pedals in an Integra are not far apart. Pedals in a Prelude are much more apart and somewhat difficult to heel-toe.

How tall are you? I'm ~5'11" and have zero issues with stock pedals, especially if you put pedal covers on them (mugens are pretty nice).

What I did to deal with the knee issue was a combo of 1 & 2. Lower seat, smaller wheel, AND a wheel spacer/quick release. That pushed the steering wheel about 2.5" closer to the driver. That allowed me to sit further back, not stretch my arms, and my legs are in a better position as well.

I would not go the pedal extensions route.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Accident Prone

I'm about 5'9" but my legs from waist down is 3'4" and my arms from shoulder to middle fingertip is ~2'7.5"

The only reason I don't want to do 1 and 2 is that I'd like to keep my car stock interior because if I don't intend on making it into a strict track car

If I didn't want to get a lower seat + different steering wheel, would just Mugen pedals work (for side-by-side)?
Old 05-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same problem being 6'3". I can heel toe pretty good if I move the seat far back but then I am not in the ideal position to turn and shift. Being strapped into a harness or with your shoulders against the seat your wrists should sit on the top of the wheel. I just need a wheel or hub that pushes it out farther. I think the stock wheel is a 350mm isnt it?
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have to completely rotate the bottom half of your leg at the knee to heeltoe. Theoretically I guess it's safer that way as you get to cover the brake pedal more. When I'm lazy I can still do it while my foot is still almost straight, in my ITR or otherwise.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What brakes are you running? I was having trouble because the brake pedal was sitting too low with hot Hawk HPS pads. I will have HP Plus for the next track event.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a difficult time learning and felt like it was the pedals. Also my knees hit the steering column. I made new pedals from aluminum, jpeg included. The screws clamp the pedals and they have been in place for years. This made it easy, though I could probably do with normal pedals now as I can heel toe or roll my foot on other cars. These extensions were simple with aluminum and a band saw, then some abrasive for texture. The attachments are like original, take off the rubber covers. Sorry for the poor photo, the car is in the garage on a rainy day, so poor lighting.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try skateboard tape.

However, you might want to make sure your TPS sees 100% because that pedan looks long and might not go down all the way and get stuck in the carpet.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Accident Prone

Originally Posted by Dogginator
What brakes are you running? I was having trouble because the brake pedal was sitting too low with hot Hawk HPS pads. I will have HP Plus for the next track event.
HP+

Does just having a Mugen pedal set work well for side-by-side?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Daisy... Daisy...

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Just a n00b
HP+

Does just having a Mugen pedal set work well for side-by-side?
The Mugen pedals are very nice. My problem was that I had to reach back for the gas pedal once the HPS pads got hot because the brake pedal was riding lower. I still had plenty of stopping power, I just had to push harder.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:49 AM
Accident Prone

Lol I love my HP+. Very grabby on the street but man oh man, on the track they could bring me from 120 to 90 in less than the distance between 2 braking cones.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ultraspeed DC2
Try skateboard tape.

However, you might want to make sure your TPS sees 100% because that pedan looks long and might not go down all the way and get stuck in the carpet.
I made the pedal long, and then cut it off to fit. It works with floor mats out and that is how I run HPDE. It can stop slightly short of full throttle on the road, stopped by the mats.