Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

OT: 3,000 LB SI Bus + 225's and one hell bent driver = broken chit

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Lip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Explain to me what machining standard makes spoon rims better then rotas.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It is not from the machining... it the casting process that makes them better.

http://www.kinesismotorsport.com/forgedcast.htm
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (R you serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by R you serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh god, please post this in the civic forum. what will all the rota jockeys have to say about that? </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh god.. here we go again..
Old 11-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 3,000 LB SI Bus, 225's and one hell bent driver equals-->broke chit. (opie112)

holy **** man thats nutty
Old 11-17-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i agree with this. Explain to me what machining standard makes spoon rims better then rotas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The forging process creates a much stronger AND lighter wheel than the casting process. The process is also much more expensive.

I'm not saying that I think cast rims are junk, I own a set.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if thats the case....what am i gonna do with this old itr rim?</TD></TR></TABLE>
toss it in the trash can.

curbs and pot holes will kill any wheel if hit correctly.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3,000 LB SI Bus, 225's and one hell bent driver equals-->broke chit. (B18CXr)

You know I've seen those wheels in person a couple times and never really looked at them up close, I just assumed the were Volks

Sucky and scary man, glad it didn't snap.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Explain to me what machining standard makes spoon rims better then rotas. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's not the machining process, but forged vs. cast.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chris N)

i understand that. thanks though.

not being sarcastic honest. these rims will handle a hell of a lot of load wether cast or forged. i'd bet its the heat effecting the casting as jack concluded to not the rim itself and load it'll take

i still think it could be rim specific since its a rare circumstance. all the autoxing events all the road events its rare to hear about something like this
Old 11-17-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd agree that the heat these rims are subjected to causes a good deal of the problems. A forged rim may be able to take more of a beating heat-wise....
Old 11-17-2003, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... i'd bet its the heat effecting the casting as jack concluded to not the rim itself and load it'll take</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lip!
The "casting" as you put it ... Is the rim.
And, it would only be a rare occurrance if only one of them broke ... and not two in the same session!!

True, Jack gave them a good stressing on the track.
Now the test would be to put the more expensive wheels through the same thing and see how they hold up.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (D)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

.....add another one to the "wear item" list.

Lip, I believe the rota's are cast vs the forged originals... To what extent they do not measure up in strength is anyone's guess.....

FWIW, ANY wheel can fail - given harsh enough conditions:

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg

Old 11-17-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (zygspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now the test would be to put the more expensive wheels through the same thing and see how they hold up. </TD></TR></TABLE>The wheels that I have currently (Spoons) 'were' his and have seen harder useage since I got them.

'no' issues at all thru 'many' track weekends.

what if Jack had sticky tires on those knock offs?
they would have failed sooner than 8 track weekends.

"you get what you pay for"
Old 11-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Lip!
The "casting" as you put it ... Is the rim.
And, it would only be a rare occurrance if only one of them broke ... and not two in the same session!!

True, Jack gave them a good stressing on the track.
Now the test would be to put the more expensive wheels through the same thing and see how they hold up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

do you really think this would happen to say....a thicker spoke slipstream? thats what i'm getting at. i think its rim specific. that itr rim i tossed in there was just my twisted sarcasm

see..the other rim survived
Old 11-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ITRbroham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITRbroham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You know what he's talking about!

Some people on here jock Rotas and Konigs because they can pass these knock-offs for Sp00n and other higher end rims and they are relatively inexpensive. But obviously we see that you get what you pay for.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok ....this doesnt need to be a another Rota debate ......but &gt;&gt;&gt;

I wouldnt buy Rotas to pass them off as anything other than a Rota ......

i'd buy them because they are afordable, lightweight, and durable ... (and easily replacable)

What more can you ask for ......because yes .....like someone said before "wheels are a wear item"
Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Wai
ProFunction/GT Motoring

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does this go for K1 racings as well? I can see if someone said well the universal lug pattern area broke...then thats different. its the spoke in question which is no different then any other rim. Its very possible its either this rim specific or this style rims specific by this manufacturer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You almost answered your own question Lip.

First you have to understand the making process and material behavior between a cast wheel and a forged wheel. Forged wheels are made by "pressing" the alloy into the required shape. During this pressing process, the material density would be GREATLY increased and so would the strength. Because of this, the wheels can be made very thin (spokes, shell, hub, etc.) and still remain a very high structural rigidity.

Casting is to pour melted alloy into a mold. Because of the differential rate in cooling, and the control of flow of the melted alloy, internal stress would be built up and "weak spots" would be hiding somewhere. Because of this inherent behavior, the wheel has to be carefully designed to account for this disadvantage

Now comes to the conclusion:
if a wheel were designed to be forged and the spokes were made very thin and narrow, but you apply this exact same design to a cast wheel, the cast wheel is gonna be LIGHTER (because of the much lower density) but MUCH EASIER to break.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you really think this would happen to say....a thicker spoke slipstream? thats what i'm getting at. i think its rim specific. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, I seewhat you meant now.
However, I'd still be curious to see how the Volk CN28 (or whatever that cheap(er) rim was a copy of) would stand up to similarly stressful track conditions.
Might be something to be aware of for people that would otherwise track even the expensive rims.

BTW -- Apparently George & Co. have broken one of the spokes on one of the Spoons! Looks like most everything has a limited life cycle.

P.S. yeah, what Wai said!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:56 AM

Default Re: jacks stupid *** post

itr related, jack??? I didnt think so.

TROLL!!!! BAN!!!!!!

:fire:
Old 11-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zygspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh, I seewhat you meant now.
However, I'd still be curious to see how the Volk CN28 (or whatever that cheap(er) rim was a copy of) would stand up to similarly stressful track conditions.
Might be something to be aware of for people that would otherwise track even the expensive rims.

BTW -- Apparently George & Co. have broken one of the spokes on one of the Spoons! Looks like most everything has a limited life cycle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the Fordged Volk would obviously be fine, on a road course, and would have a longer life span....
Old 11-17-2003, 10:59 AM
Lip
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: jacks stupid *** post (Johnny Tran)

broken itr rim helped keep jack his points.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:01 AM

Default Re: jacks stupid *** post (Lip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">broken itr rim helped keep jack his points. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lmfa0!

i still say send his sorry a$$ back to the ep bus forum....lol
Old 11-17-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3,000 LB SI Bus, 225's and one hell bent driver equals-->broke chit. (B18CXr)

Old 11-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 3,000 LB SI Bus, 225's and one hell bent driver equals-->broke chit. (CWITR)

good job yack! wish i could have been there to see them POS's brake. no we've seen the pics set those ***** on fire.

Old 11-17-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: 3,000 LB SI Bus, 225's and one hell bent driver equals-->broke chit. (ITR764)

damn good job jack!!
Old 11-17-2003, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tsunami_zc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tsunami_zc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

these are Konig Heliums .....not Rotas ...

i fail to see what would be the point of posting this in the Civic forum to agrue about Rota wheels ....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. ADR Spiders break too, so Rota's are therefore bad as well? The logic in this forum is so incredibly fucked up at times.

Fuggen Tards.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18CXr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a hell bent Honda driver trying to pass a Grand AM Spec LS Integra for numerous laps

</TD></TR></TABLE>

hah , you had to actually try to pass that guy

it was priceless to talk to him after the session

Quick Reply: OT: 3,000 LB SI Bus + 225's and one hell bent driver = broken chit