Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work...

I just went to go turn my lights on and they both fire up as normal and just as they're completing the "warm up" stage (about 2 or 3 seconds after I turn the lights on), the right headlamp shuts off. So I immediately turn the lights off, and pull the HID bulb out of the base and reseat it. Turn the headlamps on and no luck. The left one fired up just fine but then it too died out. I followed the installation online to the letter, didn't touch the bulbs at all. I have 15A fuses in there, but they seem to be fine. I think I have the two fuses correctly installed... They're the two headlight fuses closest to the floor. Well thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work... (CheezeFrog)

on the HID ballasts make sure that the positive and negative sides line up properly, and secondly which you have done, bump up the fuse amperage to 15.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work... (VTEC-MAN95GSR)

Damn. That's what I don't get. The lights were working just fine last night for about a half hour while I was just driving around enjoying the new illumination. But why would they suddenly cut out on me.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure, unless you have a defective ballast?
Old 08-08-2001, 12:38 PM
New User

CF, did you figure out what's causing the light to cut out? Are your 15A fuses ok? Just wondering, you upgraded the fuses that are in the center row to the far right of the fuse box correct? I guess you can try and smell the ballast and see if you notice any burnt silicon odor.. Normally, electronic components don't give out any order, but if you do smell something, mostly likely it's burnt.

[Modified by TypeRP, 9:43 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work... (TypeRP)

I did upgrade the stock 10A fuses for 15A's. And according to the map on the back of the fuse panel, I did indeed replace the correct fuses (the two kinda in the middle that are closest to the floor -- or in the far right column of fuses). I think I'm going to go buy some 20-30A fuses tonight and see if that helps. If not, I'm afraid I might have defective bulbs or ballasts. Not sure how that could be though since both are no longer working.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:54 PM
New User

CF, the low beam fuses are on the 2nd row all the way to your right if you are to stare the fuse panel straight in the face.. The 2 high beam fuses are on the third row toward the center of the panel. looks like you replaced the wrong fuses. Check to see if the other two 10A are blown.. Also, don't go with anything more than 20A.. You have already increase the risk by 100% when you go with 20A fuses.
Old 08-08-2001, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Use 20 amp fuses and make sure you have'nt drained your battery.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

CF, the low beam fuses are on the 2nd row all the way to your right if you are to stare the fuse panel straight in the face.. The 2 high beam fuses are on the third row toward the center of the panel. looks like you replaced the wrong fuses. Check to see if the other two 10A are blown.. Also, don't go with anything more than 20A.. You have already increase the risk by 100% when you go with 20A fuses.
OMG I'm so bleeping embarassed. Thanks dude you're correct -- I did replace only the two fuses on the 3rd row. I'm going to go replace the low beam fuses after work! Damn I'm an IdiotFrog. Thanks man...

EDIT: I just went and pulled those 15A fuses out of what I thought were the low-beams and correctly replaced my burnt out 10A's. Now my HID's work again! Thanks for all the input guys! Please visit my website Don'tLetCheezeFrogWorkOnYourCar.com!

[Modified by CheezeFrog, 2:23 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 01:36 PM
New User

Dang man.. Don't do this kind of boo boo again.. it's a good thing you didn't do any permanent damage to your lights.. I would hate to see a brand new HID goes down the drain like this..

I also use 15A fuses and they worked fine. Have fun Frog.

And you owe me a kiss if you are a girl....
Old 08-08-2001, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Besides the cat/mouse game with the fuses, seems like the install was pretty simple. Was it really that simple as u have seemed to implied? Also, did u get the HID kit from that group buy that's no longer available? Also, the bulb... is it the D2S bulb?

-Buzz

[Modified by buzzman, 2:47 PM 8/8/2001]
Old 08-08-2001, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And you owe me a kiss if you are a girl....
Sorry bro, I'm a guy! Buy I'll gladly buy you a cold brew next time I'm in Cali!

Besides the cat/mouse game with the fuses, seems like the install was pretty simple. Was it really that simple as u have seemed to implied? Also, did u get the HID kit from that group buy that's no longer available? Also, the bulb... is it the D2S bulb?
Yes, the kit is extremely simple to install. The hardest part for me (other than trying NOT to touch the bulbs) was peeling the wax paper backing off the velcro sticky pads. It seems that you actually need fingernails to do it. Grr...
Old 08-08-2001, 02:19 PM
New User

I'm thinking on getting the Phillips HID kit and I'm wondering if you guys have a link that tells you what you need to change in your stock configuration to run these things? TIA.
Old 08-08-2001, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work... (dmfare)

The kit comes with 2 balists, 2 D2S bulbs and 2 cable extentions. When you install the kit, you end up with your 2 stock bulbs left over and 2 10 amp fueses. You need to replace the stock 10 amp fueses with 15 or 20 amp fuses. That is it.

Craig
01 ITR
Old 08-08-2001, 03:27 PM
New User

Default Re: Ok so now my Phillips HID kit doesn't work... (buzzman)

D2S bulb indeed.. It says right outside the box... Installation is as easy as opening the shipping box.. Just straight plug and play with not tool required. Just use the supplied velcro to secure the ballast.