Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Oil pan nightmares...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan nightmares...

Ever since my rebuild, my oil pan has been leaking, probably because the assembler used Honda bond all over it when the manual says not to.

I bought a fel pro gasket, and over tightened it. Second attempt I bought a 3/8"a torque wrench and torqued it to 8 pounds, and still tore the gasket. (Same corner both times)

I tried a third fel pro gasket but this time I bought a fel pro paper gasket sheet and made a second gasket and sandwiched it between the block and the rubber gasket, still no luck, it would leak in the same corner every time, standing in front of the car it is the front left corner that leaks.

Ive been reading allot about how b series oil pans are prone to leaking due to the rubber gasket, and found the myhondahabit.com website and their composite b series oil pan gaskets, this seems to be the solution that most people use.

Funds are tight and I didn't want to wait around for the gasket as it's quickly getting colder in my province, (with tax and the weak *** cdn dollar it came to 150$) so I tried one last attempt, I bought a fel pro cork/rubber gasket sheet and a fourth fel pro gasket(parts store exchanged every broken gasket so I only paid for one gasket) to use as a template, and made another gasket.

This time I only used the cork/rubber gasket and left the rubber gasket out entirely.

I used permatex high tack liquid gasket on the 4 corners of the block just where the seams are, and I sprayed the entire oil pan flange as well so that it could hold onto the gasket better, and it worked!

I just wanted to share this here in case anybody has this same problem and don't want to order the myhondahabit gasket, I spent 2 weeks and had my oil pan off 6 times before I decided to try the cork/rubber sheet.
Attached Images       
Old 09-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil pan nightmares...

Originally Posted by B16EJ
Ever since my rebuild, my oil pan has been leaking, probably because the assembler used Honda bond all over it when the manual says not to.

I bought a fel pro gasket, and over tightened it. Second attempt I bought a 3/8"a torque wrench and torqued it to 8 pounds, and still tore the gasket. (Same corner both times)

I tried a third fel pro gasket but this time I bought a fel pro paper gasket sheet and made a second gasket and sandwiched it between the block and the rubber gasket, still no luck, it would leak in the same corner every time, standing in front of the car it is the front left corner that leaks.

Ive been reading allot about how b series oil pans are prone to leaking due to the rubber gasket, and found the myhondahabit.com website and their composite b series oil pan gaskets, this seems to be the solution that most people use.

Funds are tight and I didn't want to wait around for the gasket as it's quickly getting colder in my province, (with tax and the weak *** cdn dollar it came to 150$) so I tried one last attempt, I bought a fel pro cork/rubber gasket sheet and a fourth fel pro gasket(parts store exchanged every broken gasket so I only paid for one gasket) to use as a template, and made another gasket.

This time I only used the cork/rubber gasket and left the rubber gasket out entirely.

I used permatex high tack liquid gasket on the 4 corners of the block just where the seams are, and I sprayed the entire oil pan flange as well so that it could hold onto the gasket better, and it worked!

I just wanted to share this here in case anybody has this same problem and don't want to order the myhondahabit gasket, I spent 2 weeks and had my oil pan off 6 times before I decided to try the cork/rubber sheet.
if you want a My Honda gasket pm me i got a extra one i ll give see you a good price $90 shipped cnd lmk

Last edited by b18c5 power; 09-25-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gasket and stud kit all brand new $90
Old 09-25-2015, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that's a really good deal thank you very much, I should have put up a thread while I was going through this problem. I'll pm you in a week if I have the funds then I'll definitely buy it, the cork gasket is holding up great, but at the price you offered it's worth buying to use in the future and I want to have a a stud configuration as opposed to the oem stud/bolt combo.