Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

New Type R not coming to U.S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 06:56 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Type R not coming to U.S.

I took my R in for my first oil change this past weekend (first oil change was paid for by dealership ) and was talking to my salesman that sold me my R. I asked him if he new when the new RSX's would be in and was telling him about the new TypeR coming out in Japan. He told me that the RSX should be in by the end of the year and as far as he knows by going to cars shows and talking with Japan Corp, they will no longer manufacture the TypeR integra for the U.S. market. I told him that I have seen the video for the new R and he told me yes I know but it won't be coming to the U.S. He said that the new TypeR for the U.S. will be the RSX typeS. If this is true, which I think he is full of crap, that will mean that the value of our R's will go up . That would be awesome for resell and collector value. I decided that I am going to buy a daily driver and just drive my R on the weekends or when I want to have some fun so I can keep the miles down on my R. What do you guys think and have any of you heard a similar thing. If this is true, I am glad that I sold my Civic SI for the R because I got the last one in my area. That was a close one
Old 06-28-2001, 06:59 AM

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (R-Adrenaline)

IF thats true, than great. However, IMO I wouldnt trust a salesman as far as I could kick him. A lot (obviously not all) spend most of their day talking out of their a$$es.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:00 AM
Rather OG

I heard the opposite from my dealership. They mentioned there's been a lot of talk about the new R coming to our shores for 2003. I don't think the guy you were talking to really knows his stuff because our dealership just had about 6 RSX delievered yesterday. (2 were the Type S.) Nope, I haven't had a chance to make it out to see them yet but I'm looking forward to it!
Old 06-28-2001, 07:02 AM
New User

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (TypeRJason)

Yeah, I think he if full of crap but if it were true that would make me even more proud to drive my R!
Old 06-28-2001, 07:05 AM
Oracle of GDD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is totally full of ****. I have never met a salesman that knew more about the car I was looking at than I did, and that is true for the R, my Civic, the Celica GT-S, Eclipse GT, etc. Look at the recent trend. The Z is coming back, the WRX is here for the first time...Japanese manufacturers are finally beginning to realize the potential of the U.S. Market for their "hot" models. The new R will be here, rest assured.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:11 AM
New User

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (Ross1013)

Well if the RSX-R does come to these shores, rest assured Boba will have one.

Boba- who would have just as many Type R's as TypeRmsm.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:35 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (Boba-Fett)

yeah im getting one too if they ever come over (haha still 1 up on ya Boba)
But like others said Dont belive what a salesman tells you at the dealerships about 95% of them dont know what they are talking about
Old 06-28-2001, 07:44 AM
Trial User

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (TypeRmsm)

about 1yr ago i asked a subaru salesman if he thought there was any truth to the rumors that we would see a turbocharged rs. he said no way due to usa emissions. less than 6months later the rumors were confirmed and we now have the wrx. moral of the story, don't believe salesmen. unless of course you are interested in gym equipment, then you should believe every word i say!
Old 06-28-2001, 07:47 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (monkey_truckR)

Salesmen are so full of ****. I once asked an Acura rep which model Integra was sitting on the floor. He puffed his chest up and tried to look real official and said "This one right here is a 1.8..."
Old 06-28-2001, 07:58 AM
New User

when i went with my friend to the dealer to pick up his s2000. the sales person came out and said, "this is one mean machine, i bet you are going to take advantage of all 260hp." I told him that he had 240hp and he told me that i didn't know what i was talking about and that he sells them for a living so he should. right after that i said i bet you don't even now it is a 6 speed. he replied..."you can't trick me that easily." in other words...you can't trust anything they say.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (TypeRJason)

I got that the RSX-R is coming as an 03 model.
I also go that "Acura" will come out with a S2000 chassis based, 300hp, mid-engine, nsx-6 powered convertable in late 02 as an 03 model.
MSRP 42-44 large

Demian
Old 06-28-2001, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (JDMCRXB18C5)

I wouldnt say that the dealers dont know sh*t or are full of sh*t. I worked at the local Honda dealership for 3 years and know all the sales "people" there very well. Some of them didnt know a whole lot about the cars they were selling, but some did. But I knew about the Si (99') coming over 6 months before they did not because they dont know sh*t but because Honda/Acura of America doesnt tell them sh*t... The manufactors talk to the magizines to get rumors started and then wait and see what the general consensous is and dont clue the sales guys in until the cars arrive on the truck.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:17 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (killingtime)

That sounds interesting but why would Honda make another Mid-engine car on a different platform than the NSX? Also, the current NSX 6-cylinder as we know it will be gone once the new NSX comes out. In its place will either be a bigger V6 or a 400-hp V8 (probably the same basic unit that Mugen will use for its sportscar engine). The car you speak of would take sales away from the NSX as well as the S2000, if it is indeed only $42K or so. I am not trying to discredit you, this may still happen. But it would be a bad decision for Honda.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:20 AM
len
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (killingtime)

I also go that "Acura" will come out with a S2000 chassis based, 300hp, mid-engine, nsx-6 powered convertable in late 02 as an 03 model.
MSRP 42-44 large

Demian
Demian, any word so far about this new hot roadster? I hope it isn't the NSX's replacement. Anyhow...what about the new facelift for the NSX? Shouldn't we be seeing some official pics already? Geez...

As far as salesman go in being truthful or knowledgeable...I'd rather ask my baby neice of 15 months about the new RSX-R. She'll probably know more than he does.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ALL CAR SALESMAN ARE FULL OF ****. I learned this lesson so many times that to this day I could sit back and laugh. The best thing is when you mess around with the dealer's mind. They have no clue what they're talking about and most of them agree to what you say about the car, even though what you say may be false. When I went to look around for the R, I went to several dealerships to question around. One dealership told me that the R had a six-speaker BOSE audio system, while another told me it had traction control. Several dealers told me that there will be no 2001 models and guess what there are. Even better when I went to test drive the 2001 Cobra (Mustang), the guy told me it was a 280 hp car with a six-speed. Man I can't stand dealers, I mean they're supposed to know more about the car than you are when you go to spend your hard-earned cash on one.
-importtuner
Old 06-28-2001, 08:30 AM
Oracle of GDD

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (importtuner)

Yeah. I've shamed the knowledge of every car dealer I ever met. I never shopped at Champion Porsche in FLA but in most dealerships the guys are morons. The most knowledgeable guy was the one who I went test-driving the WRX with. He could actually drive the thing too.
Old 06-28-2001, 08:40 AM
Trial User

I'd say he's full of **** too. He said the RSX will be here by the end of the year? Pretty open-ended if you ask me, not to mention I got an invitation to go drive one when they come in, in two weeks. Seems to me that if this fool was actually knowledgable, he would have known that much...

No more G3's, including the R, will be made because the manufacturing lines will all be converted to RSX production.

[Modified by FBP_1171, 9:43 AM 6/28/2001]
Old 06-28-2001, 09:12 AM
New User

Never believe a word the dealer says. Just wait for a press release instead of getting worked up over a dealer's word.
Old 06-28-2001, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (Type R 1090)

Well I consulted by Magic B-ball and rubbed it on my Ouija board and it says that the RSX Type R will be available with a modified V10 Mugen race motor mounted amidship with pushrod activated coilovers and a sequential gearbox. Nyyyaaahhhhh.
Old 06-28-2001, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Type R not coming to U.S. (Big Phat R)

Here's the simple answer: with the speed information travels today, you are all just as likely to have the info that the average car salesman has. Rumors, truth, and flat out lies...you hear them all as soon or sooner than they do. Do you really think the salesmen are in the loop? Talk to the head of marketing or R&D, then you might be getting something worthwhile (which generally can't happen unless you know someone). I think we have even more of an advantage because of this type of community...someone on the board gets insider info from somewhere else, etc. The circle that ties us together is very deeply tapped into the auto industry, which is amazing for us, and terrible for the Stealers out there (not that they all are). We all know someone...which means to some extent, we ALL know someone.